Thread: Please be careful out there

Default Please be careful out there

Only days after Marc Taylor's thread came to a terrible close, we have to experience another hunter dying from a fall off a cliff. This hunter, James Monroe, was only 21 years old and had a lot of life left to live. Hunting can be inherently dangerous when done in the mountains, but the bad weather with heavy rains has made matters worse. Please be careful.

KODIAK — Alaska State Troopers reported Saturday evening that 21-year-old James Monroe of Kodiak was killed during the weekend when he fell off a cliff while hunting near Halibut Bay.

Halibut Bay is at the southern entrance to Shelikof Strait at the western end of Kodiak Island.

Monroe, who worked on the 38-foot seine boat Lady Ashley and spent time in both Kodiak and Larsen Bay, reportedly was hunting with friends and family from the boat when he fell approximately 200 feet.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Charly Hengen, a spokeswoman with the U.S. Coast Guard, said Monroe was taken back to the boat after falling.

“That’s when we got the call to medevac him from the fishing vessel back to Kodiak,” Hengen said.

Troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters said Monroe died in transport to Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center. His next of kin were informed.

Peters said an investigation is under way, but it will take a few weeks to complete.

Read more: Kodiak Daily Mirror - Hunter killed in 200 foot fall

Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Wow, may we all take this as a reason to be extra careful about how we handle ourselves in the wilderness.

Central Illinois

Very tragic, accidents can happen at any age for sure, but does seem to target the younger outdoors people that feel more invinceable.
    If the risk means possible death than the reward can never be justifiable...
    Thanks for another reminder to be safe Mike...
    RIP James Monroe
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Taylor tells a story about a sheep hunter that falls from the mountain in one of his books. It can be dangerous to hunt or just be in the wilds. I hope when my days end it will be doing what I love in a wonderful place.

"As hunters, we must never forget that in the fulfillment of our passionate yearning, we take the lives of living, feeling, thinking beings; and that our lives also are as fragile as the ones we so willingly take. - Marc"

This was a truely tragic accident. I know James and his family here in Kodiak and he was a great guy. He was very cautious, smart and physically fit. They had just finished their salmon seining season and stopped to hunt some deer on the way home. He was with his dad and sister and one other crewman. It just shows how fragile life is and you never know when your time is up.

On another note, there will probably be some questions regarding the response time of the coast guard on this case. Usually they are very fast, but it took three hours to launch the helicopter from Kodiak. Seems there was a lack of communication between commsta Anchorage (where the uscg now recieves distress/mayday calls; it was in Kodiak until a couple years ago) and air station Kodiak. Of course the helo crew did a top notch job once they got the call. James was alive for 3 hours before the helo got to them albeit in pretty bad shape. I was listening to the whole heart-wrenching ordeal from my boat... it was a terrible night.

R.I.P. James, you will be missed.

Valdez, AK

R.I.P. James, you will be missed and in the heart of many hunters and outdoorsman for years to come. Many of us will reflect on those who were lost in previous seasons and it might help guide us. I lost my brother to an airplane accident many years ago. He loved flying and I am not sure there is anyway better to "pass" then doing something you love to do. Everyday I live my life (hunting, fishing and etc) with the memory of my brother and making sure I take him on all my trips.

May you R.I.P. James.