Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: delta clearwater

Default delta clearwater

i know i ask this every year are silvers in the clearwater yet??? i think about this time last year i was catching them...

october...

that sucks lol

I will take a guess and say there are probably a few coho in there now. I have caught coho as early as the first week of September. Although October provides more fish without a doubt. let us know if you go...
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I will take a guess and say there are probably a few coho in there now. I have caught coho as early as the first week of September. Although October provides more fish without a doubt. let us know if you go...
    yeah ill probably head down there next weekend. i was planing on doing a run today but i came down with a cold....

anyone check it out yet?

If you've never fished for them before - they aren't hard to catch - and they are NOT good to eat - just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    If you've never fished for them before - they aren't hard to catch - and they are NOT good to eat - just sayin.
    thanks for the input... everything you have said is true... congrats sir

I've fished em, and caught em, but i dont anymore - I figure they swam far enough and avoided so many, boats, nets, hooks, and ocean predators that they get a Bye from me. I dont know how many river miles they swan to get there, but they are a testament to nature. Its one run of fish I think should have a little protection....thus I shoot Mergansers up there, every chance I get when i go!

I have fished for them, caught them, and ate them. They eat just fine. Almost all the fish are discolored and blushed, however most are firm if harvested early enough at their arrival to the river. The flesh is not salt water fresh, but its not rotton either. Much like the Salcha Kings, some will say they are not good to eat either. I respectfully disagree. Although not the best for table fare caught salmon, the fish in clearwater will eat well enough. Some residents that live in the Interior dont have the same financial resources to travel to Valdez or Kenai for fresh ocean caught specimens, and rely on the Interior runs of kings and coho whihc can be harvested. This is an opportunity for them to sport fish for salmon, and harvest salmon if they choose to do so IAW the rules and regulations set by the State. This congregation of coho in Clearwater is the largest in any one system in the Interior. Yes, the fishing is not very challenging for most sport anglers, "so easy even a caveman could do it" reference comes to mind. The population is very healthy and I believe limits are fairly liberal for coho at 3 per, but check the regulations to make sure. My angling ethics are no more or less the same for these fish then when I am fishing for rainbows on the Kenai which are so protected you cant harvest them.

Just a thought: IMHO those mergansers are easy to shoot and dont eat well either... I figure those mergansers having flown I dont know how many miles in the rain, snow, subfreezing temps, avoided many predators and diseases, and nested there young so they will get a pass from me and my shotgun, I think Clearwater should be an area for ducks to have a little protection? just sayin

I hope to check it out within the next few days. Will report what I find.

Jedi! Rep sent!

I have fished for them, caught them, and ate them. They eat just fine. Almost all the fish are discolored and blushed, however most are firm if harvested early enough at their arrival to the river. The flesh is not salt water fresh, but its not rotton either. Much like the Salcha Kings, some will say they are not good to eat either. I respectfully disagree. Although not the best for table fare caught salmon, the fish in clearwater will eat well enough. Some residents that live in the Interior dont have the same financial resources to travel to Valdez or Kenai for fresh ocean caught specimens, and rely on the Interior runs of kings and coho whihc can be harvested. This is an opportunity for them to sport fish for salmon, and harvest salmon if they choose to do so IAW the rules and regulations set by the State. This congregation of coho in Clearwater is the largest in any one system in the Interior. Yes, the fishing is not very challenging for most sport anglers, "so easy even a caveman could do it" reference comes to mind. The population is very healthy and I believe limits are fairly liberal for coho at 3 per, but check the regulations to make sure. My angling ethics are no more or less the same for these fish then when I am fishing for rainbows on the Kenai which are so protected you cant harvest them.

Just a thought: IMHO those mergansers are easy to shoot and dont eat well either... I figure those mergansers having flown I dont know how many miles in the rain, snow, subfreezing temps, avoided many predators and diseases, and nested there young so they will get a pass from me and my shotgun, I think Clearwater should be an area for ducks to have a little protection? just sayin
    haha..Block party salmon! Yummy!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    haha..Block party salmon! Yummy!

Fish On!
    Hosting next year ....guess what is on the menu...they wont even know unless you tell them.

ahhhhh hahahahahahgaha

I think I will head up that way in the next few days.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Headed down tomorrow morning... Will report.

-akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Going this coming weekend with the wife for the first time ever. Any tackle/gear suggestions. Also we have the option to either float down in a canoe or (if we drive two cars) we can get a little power-boat. I would love not to have to drive two cars there and just do a canoe float but priority 1 has to be getting to the fish so what do you all think? (Can't tow behind our camper because we dont' have a long enough tow hitch with our super-long overhang).

i have had great luck with bright pink pixies.... i assume any color large lure should work just fine... oh ya and dont bother fishing this coming saturday if you can avoid it... thanks

I will be at the campground, if any forum member is there look me up. I will be in the red rocket and the Tipi camp.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Been here for a week now, fish are scattered throughout the river, with the largest concentration down near the mouth of course... it has definitely progressed since I have been here.... caught 90% of my fish on the fly enclosed....

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast