Thread: How to transport your kayak?

Default How to transport your kayak?

I have a '98 F150 and apparently, this is the worst kayak rig. What are you truck owners using to transport your kayaks? I haven't picked my money tree yet, so the Thule 422 is a bit pricey. I was thinking of some cheapy single sided ladder racks, anyone using these? I can find regular lumber racks on Craigslist for a couple hundred, maybe that's the way to go? Loading the dirt bike will be a pain....seems like I'm not getting off cheap on this one.

You don't need anything special, I have a regular cab shortbed stepside S-10 and I load two 15ft kayaks in my truck...lol But the best rack I've seen is the adjustable one with the slide rails, it allows you to slide the rear rack all the way to the front when your not using it. I think it's made by Thule, about $550

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Years ago...I used a few pieces of 2x2 and fashioned my own racks for kayaks and canoes.Properly braced--this will work and won't cost you an arm and a leg.It's not real fancy--but it worked........

The Goal Post racks are pretty nice and easy to remove. would make it ok with your motor bike other than it would mean you have to unload your kayaks to get your bike out.
    being able to just use your reciever is a nice option
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

A friend of mine uses this: http://www.harborfreight.com/250-lb-...ack-66187.html . If I find myself only carrying one or two kayaks, I just toss them in the bed and strap them down. I'll pay for it when somebody rear-ends me though.

I forgot to mention that I've seen people make racks out of Unistrut or Superstrut. There are lots of ideas at www.texaskayakfisherman.com