Thread: Adventures In Alaska

Default Adventures In Alaska

This summer is winding down and winter will be approaching soon so I started thinking about the trips I ran out of time to do or will do again next summer. We have family visiting from outside next year so I need to start planning the 2012 itinerary and mesh it into my preference for particular trips as well as multiple vacation time slots.

So this thread will be about trips you are thinking about or planning on doing next year (the rest of us don't mind copying good ideas if we hear them). My trips generally end up on the Kenai Peninsula as I like it here.

Two trips I plan on doing for sure with the group in 2012 is

Hike Resurrection Pass Trail...I think I will make it into a 5 day trip with lots of leisure time since we will be a party of 5.
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aktrails.../resurnrth.htm
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aktrails...n/resursth.htm

Kenai Canoe Trail...specifically Swanson Lake route. I haven't decided just exactly how we will do it yet but probably a loop and come back out Paddle Lake. This will take a group vote so I'm keeping options open on the exact route.

http://kenai.fws.gov/VisitorsEducato...oe/swanson.htm

I would also like to do something with the Alaska Railroad, maybe a dropoff somewhere and a campout/hike. That would put us at the eastern side of the Peninsula so I am covering geographic regions...and I am also thinking about some sort of a salt water kayak trip for us to do maybe out Homer area across the bay but I haven't fully researched that yet and we will need to rent all the gear.

So...if you would like, tell us what you have in mind for next year ? Anybody else got any plans for Alaska adventures they would like to share ?

Not Alaska, but I'm hoping to get to the NE next spring and hike a part of the Appalachian Trail with a buddy of mine

I don't know if this is gonna happen, but I would like to do all of resurrection trail in one day

I would like to do Seattle Creek. Going down one side and up the other side. Maybe four days total.

I've done the swan lake canoe trails...several lakes and portages, then floated down the creek to the Izaak Walton campground at the highway and pulled out there. Took 2 days. Nice trip.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Challenge racers do the Res in one day.

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out adventures for the rest of the year. I've yet to winter camp, and now I have a kiafuru wood stove for my megamid tent.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Just a reminder that if you want to do the Resurrection Pass trail next summer you need to start thinking about booking the cabins unless you want to tent camp. These places are popular and reserve way in advance of use. I've got Caribou Creek, East Creek, Devils Pass and Swan Lake cabins reserved for a hike we're going to do with out of state family that will be visiting next year. I wanted to stay at Trout Lake too, but unfortunately its blocked out for maintenance during our time slot for the trip in June. Oh well, maybe next year.

If you're new to Alaska, this is how you do it. Click on this link.
    http://www.recreation.gov/
    Enter Chugach National Forest in the where box and hit enter. Then select the cabins you would like to stay in based on how many miles you want to do in a day for a nominal fee. Happy trails.

resurrectionpass2011.jpg