Thread: Baits

crazedBOWhunter

Default Baits

Just curious what guys are using for baits on there sets...if at all.

I've got some caribou & sheep quarters left over from recent hunts... Just wondering how to apply these to sets to get some critters in.

I suspect throwing bait out there would bring in fox, coyotes or wolves... I wouldn't know of it'd work for lynx but that's why I'm asking...

I'm sure thats not what you meant, at least I hope to God not, but you really ought to clarify the wording when you say "caribou and sheep quarters left over from recent hunts"...just saying ....

crazedBOWhunter

The bones that is....

There it is.... I knew thats what you meant...

Baited cubby work for lynx

A snow hole with a little meat down it will take fox and coyotes

Default bones

When using big bones I prefer to save them for big bait piles with snares around them for fox, yotes and wolves Since I only set wolf snares at bait piles for wolves I tend to use more bones there. They tend not to have a lot of sent but are great visual attractors. If you have them now and can let them sour up before sticking in a freezer they they have more smell to them depending on how much tendon material and meat is left on them.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Work great for a bait pile! I try and put them in thicker alder or willow patches and I wire ALL the bones to trees. That way once animals start coming in you have lots of great snare trail locations being in the trees. I use Magnum Marten to bring animals in from a distance. Its my favorite attractor. I use it for mink, marten, lynx and fox.