Thread: My New Article on Nosler

Default My New Article on Nosler

Here is the link to my new article that Nosler published http://www.nosler.com/articles/2011/...just-wont-die/

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Good read!

Thank you! I have also been hired by Guns & Ammo to do a blog along with Paul Youngblood entitled "The Gun Guys" and it will be up and running in the not to distant future and when it is up I will give you guys a link.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well done, Mike. Very informative, clearly written (the writing does not get in the way of instant comprehension) and darned persuasive.

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Here is the link to my new article that Nosler published http://www.nosler.com/articles/2011/...just-wont-die/

Quote Originally Posted by Anjin View Post
    Well done, Mike. Very informative, clearly written (the writing does not get in the way of instant comprehension) and darned persuasive.

Norm
    Thank you, the hunt was a lot of fun
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Very well done BT - only thing I see lacking is ya didn't mention all your great friends here on the forum !
    Good reading for sure!!! Thx for sharing with us...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

great.......great great great. repsent
    edit signature here

Glad you all have enjoyed the read.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I wish they could figure out how to put a poly tip and boat tail on the Partition...

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I wish they could figure out how to put a poly tip and boat tail on the Partition...
    Interesting thought, but the partition does not have a bad BC for it's design.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Im more bothered by the tips of the bullets in my magazine that get flattened and mushroom out or bend to the side in my 300 WM

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Great read,

I've always been a fan of the 358 Winchester and of Nosler. I recently shot my caribou right through the heart on a running shot about 150yds. away (Familyman as a witness). Although a bit of overkill, the 286 grain 9.3 mm bullet from my Nosler Custom Ammo left a very big but clean hole. Had a little bit of blood gather in the rib meat on the opposite side, but no biggy. The actual hole was a very clean one, no fragments, and had an inch wide exit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Great read,

I've always been a fan of the 358 Winchester and of Nosler. I recently shot my caribou right through the heart on a running shot about 150yds. away (Familyman as a witness). Although a bit of overkill, the 286 grain 9.3 mm bullet from my Nosler Custom Ammo left a very big but clean hole. Had a little bit of blood gather in the rib meat on the opposite side, but no biggy. The actual hole was a very clean one, no fragments, and had an inch wide exit hole.
    I bet, that bullet would be awesome, 286grs ain't nothing to laugh at indeed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Im more bothered by the tips of the bullets in my magazine that get flattened and mushroom out or bend to the side in my 300 WM

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    I have not found out to 300yds that a buggered up point on a bullet effects accuracy to any degree, and have tried it at that distance to see and there was not appreciable difference at all in the groups between buggered or none buggered points.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have not found out to 300yds that a buggered up point on a bullet effects accuracy to any degree, and have tried it at that distance to see and there was not appreciable difference at all in the groups between buggered or none buggered points.
    That is very good and interesting info, thanks.

Poly tips have no place on a big game bullet. They didn't work 20 years ago and don't work now. I've used Partitions out to 400 yards but if your'e shooting at 600 yards a boatail may have an edge mentally if you don't shoot your rifle enough to know how a flat based bullet will perform at extended ranges.

I too haven't had an issue with the tips of the partitions being buggered up a bit......no change in the point of impact or accuracy. The 200 grain partitions in my 308 Savage 99 do get turned flat from the stout recoil.....but no change in accuracy. I just bought a box of 250 grain accubonds for my 9.3x62 mauser (nosler custom ammo). I only did this because the had no partitions in stock. Be a good back up bullet when I run out of partitions I suppose...................

After seeing what a 200 grain accubond did for Stid's prior hunting season..........I'm not too worried about running out of partitions.

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    Poly tips have no place on a big game bullet. They didn't work 20 years ago and don't work now.
    I could not disagree more with your two statements!!!!! There is no truth to the notion that Poly tips have no place on big game if they are bonded or interlocked. Some cup core with poly tips yes but not bonded or homogeneous bullets like the TTSX and the Accubond, which are examples that truly fly in the face of your inclusive statement concerning Poly tip bullets. I have killed big game with the Accubond in my 300Win mag and my 358Win and they perform without a hitch and generally exit with devastating and quick results.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS