Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many hours a season???

Default How many hours a season???

How many hours do people put on their boats in a season? What would you consider a great season?
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

4 boats....depends on the season....approx 30-50 hrs on each.
    This year has been a great season if only too short as usual.
    BK

I usually put close to 200 hours on the boat a season, a little less this season...not sure why.
    We started in early April and still plan on going out next weekend if the weather cooperates.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

We have only had it since mid July, working on around 30hrs so far. If that is an indication of what is to come I would gues around 100hrs a season? ( I hope )
    Mike

I average about 80 hrs. per year.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

500-600 is usually a great season. Would have pushed 600 but unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate in August. Hoping to put 20-30 river hours on in the coming week.

300 is good. 400 great!
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

I've averaged 45 hrs per season over the past 9 years. I'd guess a high of 65-70 hours in year.

It's not quantity - it's quality. It's a 1.2 hour one-way "commute" to the cabin.

We live right on the water and average 300-400 hours of engine time. This year we have already topped 400, so it has been a great season!

I have to hang my head in shame. I only put about 30 hours on this season. Dog gone pittifull....
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

Engine hours, or days on the water?

Once again, I didn't get out nearly as much as I wanted to, but more than last year. I don't have my log with me so not sure on engine hours. We managed 4 trips and 9 days on the water. If I could double that, it would be a good year. Our first trip of the year was cancelled due to illness, that would have gotten us to about 15 days on the water.

It was a good year, I've gotten my wife and kids to be able to run the boat, and we caught a few fish and shrimp. Had a nice trip with co-workers.

All in all a good season. Now that I'm set up with shrimp pots and a puller, I'm stoked to get out in April for a shrimp and ski trip, or two.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I'm with Paul H on this question. I've enjoyed my time on the hook at rest and the time spent drift fishing as much as the run out to Montague. I put 200hrs on the boat already and have every intention of putting in as much as possible up until the end of November. That is, assuming this succession of low pressure systems ever breaks long enough to get me back out on the water!

How to get more time on the water?
    I talked to a guy that regularly spends 50+ days in PWS. His recipe for success is to have a truck that works, a boat that works and a wife that works--and this sounded like an excellent plan to me!

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    and a wife that works--
    I agree, with the hours I'm seeing here someone needs to work....

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I was going off of the hour meter the engine. There is no way I could count the hours or days. Since I mostly run the rivers and did not hit big blue this season. 30hours would be something in the in the way of 10 trips on the river.
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

Ok, I have an another Question. How many hours did anyone spend on a Sandbar? :0)

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Ok, I have an another Question. How many hours did anyone spend on a Sandbar? :0)
    I hate to talk about this one. Last year, opening of duck season, we hunted on the tidal flats off the hayflats, had some difficulity with my boat and ended up heading back to the launch after dark on a outgoing tide in a steady rain. The lead I attempted to follow in the dark dried up and to make long story short, my hunting partner and I ended up spending the night sleeping on the floor of a 16 ft jon, on the mud flats in the rain. What a long cold miserable night that was. Tide didn't come up to float us off until after daylight the next morning. For those of you who say we should have walked off, you don't walk or wade in that mud without support, it can be very dangerous. Another fun hunting experience. Bud
    Wasilla

Mine was quite a few years ago. Left my Harborcraft close to the mouth of Alexander overnight. Of course every plane around saw it. They joked with me about putting my red top down so no one knew who it was and proceded to tell everyone. I pulled that same Regal Air pilot and his Beaver of a sand bar three days ago! I had a smart ### smile on my face until I trip and fell backwards into the creek so I guess he still gets the last laugh!

First couple years I averaged a little over 100 hours a season. Met a girl and dropped to about 50 hours a season. Got married and dropped to about 25 hours. Wasn't just her fault though. Fishing on the rivers sucks and playing the weather game on the salt with only two weeks a month did the majority of "preserving fuel and life" for the boat. Kids sports don't help either but I wouldn't trade it for the world...

Alexander: I have spent many hours on sandbars, drinking beer and roasting hot dogs. The boat has never spent anytime on a sandbar, unless you count the long pause as I skip over them. I can't count that many seconds since some felt like a very long time!

535 hours for 2011....Thats a lot of gas w/ twin 8.1's whew!

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

475 - 340 = 135 so far this year. I am currently out of action due to medical issues, but hoping to get in one or two more trips this fall. Personally, I am more interested in how many days and nights I spend on the water (out of the harbor) than I care about hours on the boat. Also, I am one that takes the time to warm up and cool down the motor each time, so I am not concerned about total hours on the boat as much as taking care of the equipment.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast