Thread: What are the domes directly south of FBX called?

Default What are the domes directly south of FBX called?

When I am up on campus hill, I can see two large domes on the horizon directly south. What are the names of these domes? And has anyone you know ever been there?

how far south are we talking here I fly all over the area, are you possibly talking about the radar domes at Clear Airforce station near Healey??? its a long way off but other than that there isnt Jack squat on the flats other than that.

HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    Will

These are definitely not those domes. I meant dome in the sense of ester dome or donnely dome. They arwe big hills. I think one is around these coordinates: 64° 5'35.24"N147°27'19.91"W

I think that one of the domes is Clear Creek Butte, which is accessed via the Bonnifield Trail. If you Google it you will find some trip reports, it looks like a winter trail. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Jay
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Also out there is Wood River Butte, and the Japan Hills. Stop into the map office in the Geo Building and take a look at a topo. That should help you figure out what you're looking at.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist