Thread: Easy - Prime time compost making season is "NOW"

Default Easy - Prime time compost making season is "NOW"

Leaves are falling, garden plants need pulled.
    I mow a little high & get the leaves & some fresh grass clipping mixed together in the mower bags.
    Pile them in the compost bin & mix in the garden plants & spray on some water (mix in some old or almost done compost too**the "yeast"**). It got over 100° overnight.
    I'll be adding to the bin thru Sept as I vacuum up my & my neighbors leaves & grass mix.
    Horizontal air pipes on the bottom & middle so far. . I'll over fill the bin by the end of Sept. Then cover. I'll Mix in the spring with some fresh green grass clippings to get it cooking & it'll be done by August 2012
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mudbuddy.
    do you chop up some of your garden plants, such as the stalks of brussel sprouts, or broccoli, before you toss them on the compost pile..??? I usually pull the pea vines off of the fence trellis and run over them with the lawn mower in the hopes it aids the process a little...

Great compost. My neighbor has a compost bin that you could park a small car in! I'm making a moose dropping/leaves/alfalfa pellet compost and a regular compost this fall.

John
    I throw them in the bin, then chop up with a machete best I can.
    Temps were 130 last time I checked. Will be adding more soon as I get all the garden in, potatoes last.
    Some Green house stuff to add soon.

Thanks willowite, your compost sounds like a good batch too.

According to my beer/wine thermometer, my compost bin is perking along at 140 degrees on one side and 146 degrees on the other side... musta put more green grass on that side...!! Lots of leaves left over so we piled them on the old compost pile and now to mix them up a little and let them keep on working... had our first frost (as far as I know) this morning... Had already harvested most of the garden.. got some carrots to dig and we are still picking peas... 1 very small purple cabbage head, and 1 clump of red (scarlet) lettuce... oh... and I still have a lot of brussel sprouts to pick... but they are somewhat frost resistant so they'll keep on... Some people say they get a little sweeter after the frost... (???)_

Sounds like you have the composting system down.
    140 should kill the weed seed & make great compost.
    I've been adding more garden stuff & leaves & grass. It's pretty hot & was steaming when I uncovered it today to add more.
    Yep, had frost also.
    Still getting broc, cabbage & lettuce, few small tomatoes.

Added the potato plants, broccoli, some beet tops:: well everything but the brussels a few days ago after the moose visit. Then topped with about a foot of leaves & grass today.
    I had to mow the neighbors some to get enough green grass clipping but got a pretty good mix.

Compost height keeps shrinking about a foot every 4 - 5 days. About 140 temps still. Today's layer should heat up some too.
    I fill a full as I can get it, cover & it shrinks & I add more.
    Got to clean out the GH yet, that will be the last layer of garden plants then cover it with leaves until spring.

I'm still adding to the big bin, brussels sprout plants & some weed then more leaves & grass.
    I had to mow the neighbors yard again to get some green grass mixed in with leaves.
    It is amazing how much the pile shrinks in a few days.
    I keep thinking I'm done, but the weather has been dry enough to bag up more leaves & grass &
    keep filling the bin as it shrinks.
    Garden stuff all in the bin so I guess I'll just add leaves until I don't have any or it sn**s.
    Temperatures still up in the 140s & the new stuff heats up pretty fast with the green grass mixed in.