Thread: Nice boat?

Default Nice boat?

I'm new to Alaska from Oregon. I love the sea and fishing and, now that I'm in a less crowded area with MUCH cheaper docking fees, am thinking about buying a boat. Im looming for a power boat, not a sailboat. Something I could take out for up to 3 days at a time, that would be fairly sturdy and tolerant. My budget is about 6500 bucks. Can anybody help me out?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Smith View Post
    I'm new to Alaska from Oregon. I love the sea and fishing and, now that I'm in a less crowded area with MUCH cheaper docking fees, am thinking about buying a boat. Im looming for a power boat, not a sailboat. Something I could take out for up to 3 days at a time, that would be fairly sturdy and tolerant. My budget is about 65,000 bucks. Can anybody help me out?
    There you go, I helped you out!
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

For a safe boat you are looking at $25,000 less than that you are looking at having your hands full! Look at Alaska boats and permits some good buys!

it can be done, keep your eyes open, I know a few folks who've picked up decent bayliners in that price range.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

You can get a nice skiff for that. Pack a tent and there you go....3 days on a boat.

You'd be pretty lucky to find something worth buying for what you want to do for $6000. A $6000 Bayliner is going to turn into a major money pit. Look at what a new one costs and then ask yourself why the person selling it only wants $6000 for it (in other words major repairs they don't feel like dealing with). I'd have to say $25,000, like MGH55 said, is more like it. I paid almost twice that for something I'd consider taking out for 3 days at a time. If you're going out that far and for so long paying as much as you can is just insurance you're not going to either have to be rescued or die.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Freshwater on $6K is much more attainable, you can get you on the rivers/lakes in a fairly decent sled; 18-20ft jon boat with a jet will get you many places to fish and hunt while allowing you to actualy see more of Alaska. It is a good way to start IMO.

If your patient and know boats well enough you can pick up a decent 24' ocean boat for $15,000 but I doubt much less. Just the way the market is up here.

Check out Alaska boat and permits, You can get that Bertram for $18,000 great boat with all the gear!

Default Starter

$6500.00 would be a good down payment on a turn-key cabin cruiser, or you could get a good hull & spend a bunch of time and- or money setting it up.

Whatever you do, don't get a fixer upper. It'll cost you more $ than a boat in pristine shape, and you'll waste a ton of time working on it, which makes it much, much more expensive.

You might be able to find a 16' inflatable or a 18' skiff in your price range, but if the outboard is in need of replacement, you'll be doubling your cost just to re-power.

As the others have said, for what you are looking to do, a 22' cabin cruiser is really the minimum, and good used ones start at $25-30k.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

It also kind of depends on what you mean by, "Something I could take out for up to 3 days at a time." That leaves a lot of room for interpretation. I used to have a 16' Hewewcraft Riverrunner that I'd take out of Seward to some of the coves around Resurrection Bay for a couple of days and that was no problem. But if you're talking about going around either corner, or going out of Homer toward the islands and Gore Pt. area I wouldn't dream of doing it in something like that. And it also depends on how many people you're talking about going along. Something like this (http://kenai.craigslist.org/boa/2587771071.html) would work for the Resurrection Bay sort of thing (or even Whittier) is you are really careful, but if you're talking serious distance and serious boat camping you're going to have to spend a lot more.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com