Thread: scope or open sight for deer hunting

Default scope or open sight for deer hunting

Do most people use a scope for deer hunting? I have a 7 mm rem mag with a scope, but was thinking I might step down a notch and take my 7mm mauser, but it does not have a scope.
    Hopefully I will be hunting PWS around the first week of November.

Go with whatever your comfortable with. Some areas thick with brush won't offer long range shots, though I've never gotten less than 50-75 yards on a deer. I wouldn't want to miss what could be my 1 shot on a single deer- so I'd go scoped but that's just me.

Personally I use a scope on all my rifles, mainly because those darn sights are getting fuzzy. My favorite is my 300 mag topped with a 3.5-10 Leupold. I use it on whitetail here and it IS too much gun but I might get a 3-400 yard shot across a hayfield. Ruark said to carry enough gun so I do. On the scope issue I practice all year with scoped pellet, 22lr so I am comfortable with any scoped gun.. Some of my buddies who don't shoot with a scope much want those darn see through mounts, mainly because they are afraid of not finding the deer in the scope. To each his own. I don't think the 7mag is too much, punch them through the lungs with minimal damage. Good luck

7Rem Mag is an excellent deer cartidge. I shoot a lot of deer at less than 50 yards. Sometimes it could be measured in feet. Just make sure you keep the scope dialed down until you need higher power. Mine lives on 4.5 but when i hunt alpine I've turned it to 9 plenty. never had a problem finding deer, even in close quarters.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I shot my first deer up here at 12 feet with a 45-70 and iron sights. Later in the day I shot another one at 125 yards with the iron sights after a couple misses. I sure wish I had a scope then. I won't be heading out again without a scoped rifle.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Admitting this year my eyes ain't what they were.I now have a 1X on one gun and a 1.5X on another
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I think the advantages of having a scoped rifle far outweigh the non scoped option - but many enjoy and are very good with iron sights - no different than choosing to bow hunt - if as a hunter you want to get close and can do so then pick your poison!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

WE kill a lot of deer with open sights that time of year. Far better to have open sights than a wet, snowy and fogged scope. Last blackmail I shot was from the hip at two yards. Nearly ran me over coming to the call.

One of my hunting partners swore by his 30-30, and he could make the close, fast shots you typically see for deer.

I shot my first dew deer with iron sights and a few with a scope, both are fine. If it during the rut they get pretty stupid and come a running to a call. U could get them close enough for iron sights.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.241348,-148.244816

I shot my first deer at 70 yards 24 years ago with a Rem 870 12 gauge with a vent rib and a bead on the end with a Brenneke slug. I hit the deer in the butt and broke its rear leg, which was good enough to keep him from going anywhere. Two years ago, I killed a deer on the run at about the same distance with my scoped .300 Win Mag, and hit it exactly where I was aiming and it died almost instantly. There are a lot of great shooters with open sights (a while back, I shot company high with M16 with open sights), but I just shoot a lot better with a scope. The good modern scopes don't fog. Period. I really like my 1.25-8X and 2.5-16X Bushnells. Like any good variable, at low power, they have a wide field of view, but you can dial them in for longer shots.

My advice, if you have access to land where you can shoot (other than at a formal range), is to try to fairly-quickly shoot from however you carry your rifle at a can at 100 yds or so, and quickly reaquire the sight and shoot it again after its flies up/over and lands again. Whichever of your set-ups allows you do do that better and more quickly would be the one I would pick. For me, it's with a good low-power-set scope.

All mine wear iron sights, even the scoped rifles. I sight them in at 100 yds, then scope em, so If I have to I can remove the scope in the field and continue hunting without a scope. Hate to be on a sheep or goat hunt days out and have a tumble, gas leak or scope out of wack and have to call it off due to a scope. Rifles were designed to have iron sights, over the years people got spoiled and the sights started to vanish, as have people's abilities to shoot with iron sights. A rifle without iron sights just looks naked. My only non scoped rifle is my 223 SPS Tactical Model 700.
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.