Thread: Tips on loading Tungsten

Default Tips on loading Tungsten

Hi all,

Do you have any tips on loading tungsten? I am thinking about loading some 12 gauge slugs.

Ron

I've messed with shot, and I went by what Ballistic Products had to say. If they're a source for the tungsten slugs, I'm confident they'll set you straight. Good outfit.

A little more info please... Which tung slugs do you have on hand, or thinking of ordering? As BrownBear said, Ballistic Products is a great source. They will even try to help you over the phone, or by e-mail. The one other place that I have gotten an order from (20 guage bismith slugs) included a small booklet on loading their product. The biggest headache is make sure you use the proper wad, or sabot - depending once again on the slug and manufacture recommendation. I used "Clays" powder and got good hunting results. About a 4" group at 100 yards with a steady rest. Had to cut open three of the shells while hunting to prove they were not lead. I was hunting in a waterfowl wetland with a no lead restriction. I have sense went to the Barnes projectile- just looking at the top of a roll crimp you know it ain't lead. If you do roll crimp- make sure you skive the mouth of the case evenly the first one or two times you load. After that you shouldn't need to- but you will start getting small tears after thrid or fourth shot- I would dispose of those and just load more new cases. Also, are you using a rifled barrel, rifled choke tube, smooth choke tubes, or smooth barrel with a cylinder choke? Lots of varibles. Remember to have fun, and be safe.

Chris

I had my own turned. What I need is load data or what to look out for when loading them.

Ron

This thread made me wonder whether there any legal concerns with using tungsten projectiles? Is it okay to use tungsten if the whole projectile is tungsten, as opposed to a cup and core bullet where the cup is copper and the core is tungsten (and, therefore, considered armor piercing)? Or are tungsten shotgun slugs ok but tungsten rifle bullets are not? Or is tungsten just a gray area? I am just curious.

How is the weight consistantcy? If with +/- 2 grs, check the OD and select a protective wad for your loading. (the wad protects your barrel more than the slug here). If their turned to nominal specs you should be able to load to about 1100 fps if using a star style crimp. I would order the wads from Ballistics to get the cushion and thickness... but that depends on your OD again. Do you plan on using cylinder bore or a constricted choke? No full chokes allowed on this one. You should be able to get by with a modified chock though. Best would be a rifled of some sort- barrel or choke tube. I like choke tubes now a days - so I can switch to different tube if need be for small game or survival food. You should be able to load in Win 2 3/4" hulls easiest, but look at what you have on hand in a good quanity- no mixed hulls or wads for good results with slugs. Mine were 600 gr slugs and I loaded to just under 1,000 fps using a Rem 870 20" barrel w/ screw in rifled choke. Accuracy was right at 7" at 80 yards. (used 80 yards due to farthest distance to deer trail from my tree stand) Only harvested one doe, no offset- but complete penatration of both shoulders! Hole was consistant with surprisingly little meat damage for amount of penatration.
    Good luck and have fun. Let us know how your project comes along.

Chris

Legally, if hunting in a NO LEAD area, you have to be prepared to prove that every load you are carrying is Non-lead. Be it steel, bismith, tungston, spintered iron, or any other lead-free material. I now use Barnes for my slugs with a roll crimp- don't have to cut open to prove safe. And carry steel shot for small game, or emergencies- also have a magnetic screw driver in my vest pocket to "stick" to the sides of the shell. I have had to cut open all my slugs once to prove no lead- my hunt that day was over with out firing a shot. best advice is read the regs for the area you plan on hunting.

Chris

The slug is 727 grains with a diameter of .562"

With a diameter of 0.562 you will need to use wads designed for steel, or one of the sabot style wads. Bore diameter at cylinder bore should be 0.728-0.730. If your design has a waist I would try a sabot wad first. If my math is correct you also have a longer than average slug- so plan on using 3" hulls. For powders, I would look at Clays or something similar.

Chris

Also if you are going to use a roll crimp, condition it first on throwaway hulls-- When the crimp tool is new, they "catch" a little before you get them burnished in. You could try using a wooden dowel to burnish, but I just use old hulls till it crimps smoothly. Once, you start using a roll crimp- you will find other uses/loads that are usefull. Want to load some short loads for an old antique? ect..

Chris