Thread: Calling and spreads a bit of advice please

Default Calling and spreads a bit of advice please

OK now that I am hunting with a shotgun calling and decoy spread set up are far more important to me. I have just been doing what looks like a natural group of ducks to my eye. Am I on the right track? How often do you call when there are no ducks in sight? I call about every 5 minutes or so and have called in a group of 5 last time out and a single this am so far........Should I be calling less? or more? About right?

Thanks for the help guys Gunther and I apreciate it!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

when you go by lakes watch the ducks for a while see how they react and how they sit. early in the year i will put out a few different groups from 5-9 decoys in each group then leave a few landing areas around in front of me. as the year goes on i will start to do a j shape or c shape depending on the wind and conditions. and a good rule to go by is call to tips or tails. if you go to the internet site calling ducks they have all sorts of tips and techniques for calling and setting out decoys. also if your new at calling i would get a duck calling cd and they will help explain the uses of each call and when to use them. dont get discouraged getting good at calling is tough to do and wont happen over night.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

AT this time of year small groups work out well. The ducks are still their family units. Put a few birds to one side and a few to another so that there is a large hole in front of you so that the incoming birds have a place to land. Make sure the wind is coming from behind you so that the birds will sail into your face rather than pop in from behind you.

Since you have an assistant you can rig up a jerk string to create an on water motion decoy for calm days when there is no wind to move the decoys around. Some ripples will give that live duck look so that the far away birds will just have to come closer and take a look. Jerk strings can be simple rigs with one decoy or whole rafts of decoys to a gang line.

Have a simple weight with a heavy long bungee cord attached. The weight can even be a long stake driven into the muck. Tie a length of decoy cord to the end of the bungee and attach a decoy to the cord several feet from the end of the bungee so that the decoy can sit "natual" like on the water. Slowly pull the decoy towards the blind/boat and when you see birds in the distance let the decoy go and it gives the appearance of a bird landing. Or just jerk the string back and forth while the birds are at a distance and it makes lots of ripples pulling the birds in. Don't move it when you are sure birds have seen your set up and are coming in.

As for calling I am not much help other than to offer up my limited advise. The contented hen call is a series of simple quacks - just three to five short happy duck quacks. The feed chuckle is a hard but very useful thing to learn. I have no idea how to write it out, but I think the DU website has several audio files for calling how to help.

We are still doing a fair amount of jump hunting with a bow as well and I have been basing my spreads on what I have seen in one of my spots that has a ton of ducks. I wouldnt have thought of the C or J configuration but it makes sence, especially on bigger water? We hunt mostly little marshes and smaller sub groups in a general larger group is what we are currently going for. Adding motion with a pull cord is going to be a wonderful addition! Thanks so much Ray, Gunther is a mixed bag on hunts. Some mornings he is so into it you have to drag his little butt out of the marsh for pre school. Others he's borde in 20 minutes. This will be a great way to get him more involved!

I have a calling CD, I think I am ok with the basics, but they have never said "call x times per minute if there are no ducks in sight" or "dont call till you see a group of ducks"? I have been using more of a few content Quacks with a half hearted "come back call" thrown in once in a while about every 5-10 minutes. Trying to mimick what I have seen them do when they are just being ducks?
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Something that may help your son Rick is to get him a call he can use that should keep his interest.
    A teal whistle is easy to blow you just blow a few short peeps in random fashion. Other species shouldn't care if they see the teal or not. http://shop.primos.com/p-560-power-d...k-whistle.aspx
    Primos makes a feeding mallard call you shake. It works by simply shaking the call and has a tuning hole to sound like multiple ducks. http://shop.primos.com/pc-558-48-feedin-mallard.aspx
    I got a couple of the feedin mallard I think my fiancees son might like to use one and it will certainly make him feel like he is part of the reason for the ducks coming in.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Hey Rick, sounds like your calling is coming along fine, I have called in ducks that were sitting across the pond, but in general it has not done me much good unless they are flying nearby and I am well hidden. Take wind into consideration if there is any wind. Ducks usually land coming into the wind, and have a clear spot withing range for the ducks to aim at, with your deks downwind of that spot. Also, I would enjoy a report on how you are doing with your bow and the ducks you have taken with it.
    Bud
    Wasilla

Sure Bud

This year I'm not doing to hot on the archery side. We did a jump hunt on finger lake, but the wind was howling and my shots kept coming up about an inch short. Great opertunity for Gun and I to watch lots of ducks being ducks though. We did a little turn around a marsh with the bow but failed to even see a duck that day.

Last year I got a golden eye, and a mallard from Finger lake. Got a second mallard in the marsh we hunt most offten it was actually about a foot off the water when I knocked it down. Only hunted duck a few times last year, so I call it a good season. Very exciting wing shooting with a bow even when you miss! I used 6 fletched 6 1/2 inch shield cut feathers, they stop the arrow as effectivly as full width flu flu's but they are quicker for the first 20 yards or so. Makes a huge diferance with rabbits too.
    BHA Member

Kasilofchrisn

We have one of the calls you shake.......he needs to work with it a bit. I really don't want to be beaten to death with it.
    BHA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Kasilofchrisn

We have one of the calls you shake.......he needs to work with it a bit. I really don't want to be beaten to death with it.
    I hear you.Then again it is a fairly oft rubber.How bad could it really hurt?
    Plus they just don't sound right when being shaken at lightning speed as kids are prone to do with them.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"