Thread: 185 grn tsx/338 wm for Kodiak deer?

Default 185 grn tsx/338 wm for Kodiak deer?

Anyone have experience w/ this combo? My idea was to lessen recoil for my tender (from surgery) shoulder, flatten trajectory a tad, and still have SOME bear protection for Kodiak deer hunting.
    I loaded some of these tsx's to around 3000 fps using Varget and groups are 1/2 to 1" in my old beat to heck m77, so accuracy doesn't seem to be an issue.. The 185's shot better than the 210's by the way. I've never heard of anyone using anything but 200-250 grn bullets for 338 wm. so just looking for other opinions on this combo. Thanx

Honestly if your shoulder is still bothering you, and you re-load... I would consider the Hornady 200 gr flatnose loaded to 33 Winchester velocities. Gives plenty of power and is not bad on recoil. And by using a different looking bullet, you will not mix them up and end up with different points of impact from other shells. Load up, shoot/zero scope, go hunting. I used to load that projectile in the Win mag case for Texas deer. Mainly to get more trigger time, and become absolute with that rifle for dangerous game hunt had planned.
    The combo worked very well, and didn't distroy a lot of meat.

Chris

Boom flop on a couple goats using 180 accubonds in the 338 win mag on Kodiak at ranges of 300+. It sounds like 3100 fps is the max effective velocity for the accubonds and I think the ones we were shooting were loaded to around 3200 but I can't complain about their effectiveness. One Billy in the boiler room and a neck shot on a big nanny no bullets recovered but both animals dropped in their trax. The nanny was a spine shot and it shattered the vertebrae and made removing the head very easy!

I simply can't imagine there is a thing wrong with a .338/ 185TSX at 3000fps for shooting anything short of elephant, rhino, and T-Rex...

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I simply can't imagine there is a thing wrong with a .338/ 185TSX at 3000fps for shooting anything short of elephant, rhino, and T-Rex...
    I agree. A 185gr TSX with 90% retained weight will act like a 250gr Partition with 65% retained weight. Both end up at about 163gr in the wound.

I ran a few comparisons in my brothers 338WM last year. The 225gr bullet was the best combination of velocity, drop and energy down range. However, your rifle is shooting nice groups with the 185gr and your perceived recoil is less so that makes it good for you.