Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Naive Hunter, I couldnt believe my ears.

Default Naive Hunter, I couldnt believe my ears.

I work on the slope on night shift, and at breakfast (dinner) this morning I decided to sit at a table with a few guys that I normally don't sit with. I know all of them but its not like they are my good friends. One of the people is a guy that just turned 21, not that I am old being only 25.

Myself and a couple guys my age are talking about hunting next weekend as we are all going home on Thursday, I explain that I'm going to be going up the Denali highway to help my younger brother harvest his first caribou. The 21 year old that we will just call bob states that he to will be on the Denali highway this weekend, and that he had gone once previously this season as have my brother and I. One of the other guys at the table that knows bob better than I do tells bob to tell me the story of his first attempt.

He starts out by saying that him his dad and his uncle all go up to the Denali highway. bob had borrowed his uncles .338 which he has never shot, his uncle tells him "oh I just shot a bear with it last month from my bait stand." Bob proceeds to state that after a day or two they spot some caribou. Bob goes to take a 150 yd shot and misses all three rounds in his gun. I asked him why he only had three rounds on his persons and he stated that they had forgotten the rest of the ammo in the truck. This first part didn't really bother me as i just figured oh well it happens when you are young and haven't hunted much at all if any.

The conversation continues about other hunting plans at the table, then the discussion starts to go into draw permits. I asked bob what permit he had and he couldn't tell me, he said "my dad told me to apply and I did". Then I ask him what sub unit it was in, he couldn't tell me. Then I asked if he knew the boundaries of his hunt, he couldn't tell me. At this point I was getting a little frustrated about how he didn't know anything about his hunt, but I let it go as there is no need for me to lay into this kid a the dinner table.

Again the conversation continues and I'm almost done with my food. Bob says "well the weekend wasn't a total bust because we picked up a fresh road kill caribou and a road kill lynx on the way out." This got me to thinking if that was even legal which I'm pretty sure its not, correct me if I'm wrong but you are supposed to report it to F&G or AST. I also told him that the lynx isn't in season right now and he really didn't seem to care. The final straw that got me to get up and leave was this statement "all you do is kill a caribou and if the troopers aren't around you don't mark your permit and you can kill another one." I couldn't believe my ears, not only is he saying this publicly but how naive can you possibly be. I told him this is the point where I'm leaving this conversation and he gave me grief about be mister "by the book".

I know there are people out there like this, but come on man. I just wanted to lay into him about reading the regs, and knowing your permits boundaries, do a little research for crying out loud. Not the mention the blatant disrespect to hunting in general. I told him that if I ever saw him while i was out hunting that i would turn around and go 10 miles the other way. Am I wrong for being upset over this? is this how young hunters are? I know that growing up as a kid my father taught me how to respect the hunting regulations and that they are there for a reason even if you don't agree. I mean this kid was with his dad and his uncle and this behavior seemed to be promoted by them. I hope that this behavior isn't as common as it probably is.

I wouldn't expect Bob to be extremely friendly at breakfast next time, assuming he has the internet.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

WOW. I hope that guy, (and more than likely the rest of his family) learns a lesson the hard way real soon. And if he keeps up those stupid practices, it won't take long.

There is a difference between hunters and killers
    "Your papers are not in order"

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I wouldn't expect Bob to be extremely friendly at breakfast next time, assuming he has the internet.
    he isn't on this forum

Be pro-active. Sit with Bob next shift, with a regular buddy of yours, and explain the benefits of being a legal, informed, hunter.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I work in Dept of Corrections. Bob manifests a thinking style we call "entitled." If I put it into words it might sound something like this: "Whatever I want I am entitled to. It does not matter what the laws are or what the boundaries are. It does not matter if may behavior offends or harms others. Whatever I have to do to get what I want is okay." As you can see, this thinking error will often bring a man to my office where he will be called an "inmate."
    NRA Lifetime Member

There is far too many guys like this around. They have a sick mentality many of them do know te regs or at least that what they're doing is illegal. There's two major catigories in my opinion those that were taught ethical hunting from pops andthose that hunt because they feel to be a man or Alaskan they have to. It makes me sick because at work I hear about it all the time. When I try to educate the usual response sounds like this. I've never seen a cop in that area I'm not worried and if I get caught I'll just say I disnt know. This is why I am going to program the number to report violations in my phone. I used it once opening day to report a sublegal bull and am not wasting my time educating someone who already knows and doesn't care... At least till the feel the long arm of the law.

My guess is that "Bob" will soon be contacted by "Fish and Game" if those are his hunting practices. Then "Bob's" real name will be published in the "Trooper Report"....

There are too many like him around unfortunately.

Congrats PPR for thinking the "correct" way to enjoy the outdoors! Your friend has likely grown up around such bad behavor and it has rubbed off on him.
    I doubt you will be able to make much positive influence with him but never hurts to try - it is always easier to give up. While its bad to see such behavor its refreshing to see a young man like yourself want to do it the right way!
    Perhaps inviting him along with you on a hunt would be a good learning event for him?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

First thing I'd do is an act of friendship- offer to help him without embarrassing him in front of a bunch of folks.

Pull him aside and ask him if he liked his hunts and plans to do more. If "yeah," ask him if it's okay to pass on some advice to help keep be more successful and meanwhile keep out of trouble with Johnny Law.

If "nah," write him off.

In my travels around 16 b in the winter (frieght hauling) I have been asked many times over the years by supposedly Tier2 hunters if I could point out where Alexander Creek is, or where Bell Island is, Or which way to Beluga? I always ask them how they were able to obtain a Tier 2 permit if they dont even know how to get to the unit they supposedly hunting for all those years? They just usally walk away and continue on.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    There's two major catigories in my opinion those that were taught ethical hunting from pops and those that hunt because they feel to be a man or Alaskan they have to.
    WOW. I was raised by a single mother and never had the chance to hunt as a boy. She was afraid of everything.

Now I am teaching my little brother and sister how to hunt and fish, and never once has any one of us broken any game law intentionally nor commited any act while hunting that a good natured person would consider unethical.

Pops never taught me a darn thing, Which catagory do I fall under?

Quote Originally Posted by sigabrt View Post
    There is a difference between hunters and killers
    Needs to be someones Signature Line.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    First thing I'd do is an act of friendship- offer to help him without embarrassing him in front of a bunch of folks.

Pull him aside and ask him if he liked his hunts and plans to do more. If "yeah," ask him if it's okay to pass on some advice to help keep be more successful and meanwhile keep out of trouble with Johnny Law.

If "nah," write him off.
    i thought about doing this but i have been around this guy a little bit, and from what i have noticed i dont think that it would do any good. he wouldnt have even applied for a draw if his dad didnt tell him. he said that the only other gun he has shot beside that .338 is a .22

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    WOW. I was raised by a single mother and never had the chance to hunt as a boy. She was afraid of everything.

Now I am teaching my little brother and sister how to hunt and fish, and never once has any one of us broken any game law intentionally nor commited any act while hunting that a good natured person would consider unethical.

Pops never taught me a darn thing, Which catagory do I fall under?
    Notice I said 2 major catagories to not offend anyone. You happen to be in the smaller category that I call turned into a good hunter anyway and sound like your playing the roll of pops to a younger hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by PPR View Post
    i thought about doing this but i have been around this guy a little bit, and from what i have noticed i dont think that it would do any good. he wouldnt have even applied for a draw if his dad didnt tell him. he said that the only other gun he has shot beside that .338 is a .22
    DOes this hunt not require hunter Ed for younger hunters? I'm 24 and on the border age for needing it by law.

I get this kind of talk every few years myself from people I meet up here on the slope.
    Many of them will never change as I have tried telling them how illegal it is unethical etc. etc...
    I once got a response that the offenders uncle knows all the local troopers so he was sure they would not write him a ticket for having double limits of halibut on the boat. Nothing I said amounted to anything other than more excuses and explainatons of how he thought it was ok. Then months later he tells me they were taking a bunch of halibut to the foodbank to make room in the freezer for fresh stuff. I was appauled and suggested he eat the old stuff and give the fresh fish to the needy. He didn't seem to get that if they had extra every year maybe legal limits would provide all the fish they needed.
    There are a few out there like this Bob guy. Some are inept and were never taught better. Some like this Bob guy will never change until they get busted and maybe not even then if the fine is small.
    I have started hunting with my fiancees son last year. He was 10 and teaching him the ethical and legal way to do it is something I never gave a second thought. We even got checked last year after shooting a spruce hen but we had spooked it off the road first and were 100% legal. Luckily we had as the USFWS had a gal hiding in the woods watching this bird.
    Some of these types can be brought to the good side but others like Bob who were raised that way and still hunt with those who taught them will likely never change.
    You did good by telling him your feelings and leaving the table.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Disgusting....I hope someone is keeping an eye on what he is doing on the slope. That lack of integrity is likely displayed in all areas of his life and work. May ADF&G, justice or misfortune visit them (and their gene pool) soon.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnngrinn View Post
    I work in Dept of Corrections. Bob manifests a thinking style we call "entitled." If I put it into words it might sound something like this: "Whatever I want I am entitled to. It does not matter what the laws are or what the boundaries are. It does not matter if may behavior offends or harms others. Whatever I have to do to get what I want is okay." As you can see, this thinking error will often bring a man to my office where he will be called an "inmate."
    Was talking to a guy here at YKCC said roughly the same thing as his dad had popped a moose the day before this season opened. When I caught him and pointed out what he had said he began laughing and simply told me "well it was there what was he supposed to do". I told him "wait 'till the first". He just laughed and walked away. His entire family are convicted felons.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast