Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual "Please don't leave your decoy's out" Thread

Default Annual "Please don't leave your decoy's out" Thread

I know we discuss this every year but here it goes again...........Please pick up your decoys when you are done with your days hunt. Please don't leave them out there all weekend to reserve your spot. When you leave your decoys continue to pull birds away from those still hunting. If you get up earlier than me and beat me to a particular spot that is fine, but please don't leave your decoys out all weekend and "own" a spot. This past weekend out on duck lake is has become and issue again. Please be considerate of other hunters so all have equal access to the hunting area.

Thanks

Yukon

The only time I have really noticed that problem is on opening weekend. This year I didn't notice it either, due to lack of crowd where I was hunting. I assume some people set out deks the day before, but not around where I was and had no problem. I kinda have mixed feelings about those who might be doing it late in the season. But, its public land, get up early and go out and sit in a blind, even their blind, over their deks. When they show up, they can either pick up and move or hunt with you, during which time you can discuss it with them. After all, if they are rude, obnoxious and act like jerks over it, the next time they might return to find their deks full of holes and many half sunk. Bud
    Wasilla

There was a hunter out by the wooden blind that left decoys out all weekend. I have no problem if someone beats me to a spot in the morning, but to leave them out all weekend, I do have issues with that. It works out pretty good for those that do it, most guys do not do it. Hopefully the hunters that feel it is right will take a moment of pause and see how it affects others.

I won't disturb or shoot others decoys in any way, but I have no problem setting up where I want to if I am the first one there, they can move at that point. Hopefully it does not come to that, common courtesy goes a long ways. For the most part, we all get along out there and all respect each other, IMO, there are a few inconsiderate hunters out there.

rep dog. if i get to a spot and someone decides to leave the decoys out and its where i want to be and they are not there i will sit there and set up if they get all pissy over it cause i took their spot i will leave and if i show up again and they are not their and i know its their set up i may sink a few. personally i think being able to leave decoys in the water for days is pretty rediculous. i Would come across the same problem deer huntin in mn. people build stands on public land and expect people not to use them. once they are on public land they become public property there.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

WHAT! I'm sorry but I cant even imagine being that selfcentered and irresopsible! This is the hight of selfishness and stunningly childish behavior...........my 4 year old knows better than to pull a stunt like that!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Yes it is unethical in my opinion.
    If it is your private property then by all means do what you wish. If it is public land then I think it is wrong.
    I would have probably taken the time to pull all their decoys and put them in a pile somewhere nearby and lay mine out and start hunting.
    I would not personally damage their decoys as I really don't wan't a confrontation with a bunch of armed and potentially crazy duck hunters.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Banned

Default Tradition in Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I know we discuss this every year but here it goes again...........Please pick up your decoys when you are done with your days hunt. Please don't leave them out there all weekend to reserve your spot. When you leave your decoys continue to pull birds away from those still hunting. If you get up earlier than me and beat me to a particular spot that is fine, but please don't leave your decoys out all weekend and "own" a spot. This past weekend out on duck lake is has become and issue again. Please be considerate of other hunters so all have equal access to the hunting area.

Thanks

Yukon
    Actually there is no need to "discuss this every year" because it is Tradition in Alaska, just like the famous Alaskan cache. Thanks for making me fill out the silly, complex and time consuming log in for this site, but I just had to reply to this one.

I notice that that old site for Alaska, Duck Hunters Forums is abondoned. This is probably because some newbie AK duck hunter was the moderator from Fairbanks I believe who thought he knew what was best for the forum.

Anywho, just becaue it is "public land" does not mean that anyone owns anything there, but, just like the time honored Alaska cache is respected to be the "property" (for want of a better word) of the builder and supplier of that cache.

In Alaska, anyone even in dire need of supplies in an emergency could use the "property and supplies" of that cache, but was left alone in normal circumstances. The same went for remote trapline cabins that are scattered all around Alaska on federal, state and Native land.

No one has any "right" to destroy decoys, cabins or caches because they did not put in the "sweat equity" to place, build or supply the physical property placed there by the Alaskan individual. If you did not get there to place your decoys, you should not be jealous of someone that did.

In the lower 48 states there are blinds build all over the place in much more populated places than Alaska for example. The ADFG wanting to burn blinds on the Hay Flats is another thing that botheres me.

I think this type of "outside" Alaska thinking is why the old Sourdoughs are said to have left the terrority in "59"

I guess I would not consider leaving your decoys out on a public marsh the same as a remote trappers cabin that is there and can be used in an emergency. I am not suggesting destroying anyones property, but leaving decoys out does not mean you are entitled to anything. With your logic, I could leave my decoys out all year and expect to have my own personal hunting area.
    And as you say, "just because it is "public land" does noe meant that anyone owns anything there", yes you are right, no own owns that spot on the marsh, nor can they lay claim to a particular location for the season, and in this case the weekend. As you indicated, it is public land, and I have just as much right to it as anyone. Reserving a hunting spot for a weekend is much different than a trappers cache in the middle of nowhere.

I am not jealous of lazy hunters that claim a spot by leaving their decoys out, is that the precidence that we want to set? Then everyone would leave their decoys out claiming a spot all season. That is not the hunting that I want to see.

By the way, most places in the lower 48 states have laws on public land that says decoys must be removed within 1 hour of the close of hunting for the day and may not be place again until midnight. On private land you can do what you want, but there are regulations pretaining to public land to deal with guys leaving gear out claiming a spot for an extended period of time. My hope is to not have that type of regulation, just to respect other hunters and public land by not claiming and area for your personal use.

Most guys that hunt the area "respect" that they decoys are there and don't hunt close, but how do you know if the decoys are there when it is dark out or if they owner of the decoys is even going to hunt that day? I may not know you have set out decoys for the weekend and set up close to you, please don't expect me to move when you show up 5 minutes before shooting time.

yukon check your PMs,
    I completely agree with ya. I'm trying to figure out who these guys are myself. famous widgeon theifs as well. seems we have some less then ethical people joining us this year out there this year

I think kasalofcrisin is most likely right here, it would not be responsible or right to destroy somebodies deks because they were to lazy or thought they could claim rights to that spot for the next day. Could cause a lot of problems, more then it is worth. however, going ahead and hunting that spot would be fine, or even picking up their deks would be ok. However, I would be much more likely to just use their set up then to pick them up for the people who left them.

Is the battleship blind still there. I havn't been off to that area yet this season, the one long standing blind at the east end that I have used on occasion was distroyed this summer, presumably by F&G. It is too bad they can't leave well enough alone, even the battle ship blind with its locked door, was ok with me, I just thought it was in a terriable spot or I would have used it too. Bud
    Wasilla

the battleship blind is still there, we call it the "piano blind". I would be surprised if F&G destroyed the east end blind, I hunted near it on Sunday, but didn't get close enough to see if it had just fallen down or if it was burned or physically destroyed. I would be surprised if F&G destroyed that one and not the one out in the middle.

in mn you could not put decoys out until a hour b4 shooting time
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I only know that local member SkinnyD laid down the proverbial gauntlet with regard to arrival time at the marsh this opening day. T'was no chance that my favorite spot was going to someone else. I suppose the ethics of sleeping in one's duck blind could be debated, but I never left my spread.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I only know that local member SkinnyD laid down the proverbial gauntlet with regard to arrival time at the marsh this opening day. T'was no chance that my favorite spot was going to someone else. I suppose the ethics of sleeping in one's duck blind could be debated, but I never left my spread.
    I have slept out in my boat many times back in the day, when I had a much bigger boat with a stove and heater, etc.....I got no problem if you are out sleeping in your boat among your decoys, that is not lazy, that is hardcore! It is the guy who sleeps elsewhere, leaving his decoys out claiming a spot/area and expects no one to hunt it all weekend.

I like the idea of having to pull ones decoys after each days hunting. If one was camped on the spot sleeping in the boat or blind that would be acceptable but not otherwise.
    If we allow people to claim spots this way how many dekes would it take to claim a spot? A guy could easily claim up a large area with a dozen old cheapo mallard decoys by leaving a couple in each spot near there intended hunting spot as a way to claim it up.
    It is not a survival cache it is a few decoys. They were not placed for an emergency but as a way to claim public land.
    The reason I would pull their decoys is so if/when they showed up for them they could grab them and go. Having the least impact on my hunt. Rather than stumbling around 5 minutes before shooting time trying to gather them all up and scaring the ducks off as I am sure they would want to do.

Ownerstate.

Yep and that worked great back in the day, still dose on a great deal of the land mass of Alaska. If I happen to see a spread laid out 40 miles back in on the river and not another soul in sight for miles I am going to have a totally different reaction than I would after seeing that spread sitting unattended in the Jim creek area. Places that are crowded have always been shared! Just like my cache would be if you needed it. Just like my cabin would always have food and a bit of fire wood just in case, if I had one. And if ever anyone in need spots our wall tent I'll be sure to share what I have to help them along. Dosent give anyone the right to mark there teritory when there is 20 cars parked in the lot at 5am. Destroying someone elses stuff is never right, but standing up is.(sorry about the typos I am Dyslexic and my spell checker doesn't work with the sites soft ware.......one of the many reasons I havent been posting much.)
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I agree with all the posts about this being a way to try and "post" your private spot within the public hunting area. If you want to set up your decoys and leave them there, you better be ready for finding someone (or 5) in "your" spot come 0 dark 30. The guy who gets their first gets the spot for the day.

As far as the old "Alaska Tradition". I get the cabin, cache....thing, as I use one of these old cabins from time to time, and have had people stop at my cabin (owned by me) and use stuff leaving a note about repayment. When its cold, a guy needs to be able to thaw out if its getting bad. No problem with that. However, I have run into a lot of life long Alaskans who always seem to start off with "I been here my whole life and......" which somehow justifies the activities they had done in the past and continue to do today. I have watched these guys run around marshes and lakes, under full power, blasting at ducks as they jump them. Thats sort of an illegal practice, but when confronted......the reply is "done that all my life, before you came here, so go mind your own business". I'm ok with leaving decoys in remote areas, as the reason for doing so is usually not wanting to set them up again the next day. But in this case, on a public marsh within close distance to the most densely populated area of the State, its done to "reserve" the spot. Call it what you want, justify it anyway you want, but these ain't the old days, and its not being considerate of other folks wanting to hunt the area. Reserve "your" spot by getting there first.

The guy with the big jon boat duck blind "reserved" his spot for the whole weekend this past weekend and it really frosted me. He did that last season as well. He set his duck and goose decoys in one of the better spots in the marsh and moseyed out to his spread a few minutes before shooting time. Last season, on numerous occasions, I was the first in the area. When I was ready to unbag my decoys I noticed his decoys in a place that was too close for comfort. That caused me to move to a less desirable spot. My anger built.

On Sunday I noticed that it took him about an hour to pick up his spread. With his boat motoring around to and fro he was pretty effective at keeping ducks out of the area. There were three other groups still hunting and he might as well have been a member of an animal rights organization blaring an air horn.

There is no reason to put out a spread that takes an hour to pick up. I usually hunt over a dozen and a half decoys and have never been handicapped by not having enough decoys. With a reasonable number of decoys you can put your decoys out in less than five minutes and pick them up in about five.

Please pick your decoys up. Please get in and get out as fast as possible so that your neighbor can continue to hunt.

Maybe there needs to be a proposal put forth at the next board of game meeting on this issue.
    make it similiar to other states whereby you must remove decoys within a certain amount of time at the end of each day.Maybe 1 or 2 hours. An exemption could be made for those camping/sleeping within 100 yards of their decoys.
    just a thought.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast