Thread: bent barrel

Default bent barrel

my fathers 300 win mag has a bent barrel, is there a way to straightn it or send it to some one or is it junk??

I've straightened a number of bent rifle barrels. PM me if you are interested.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

They can usually be straitened, straightening is a normal part of their manufacture even. Itís more of an art than science though so you want someone with the knack for it doing it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    my fathers 300 win mag has a bent barrel, is there a way to straightn it or send it to some one or is it junk??
    It cannot be straightened...well it can be, but it will never be accurate and if not done correctly it will be downright dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    They can usually be straitened, straightening is a normal part of their manufacture even. Itís more of an art than science though so you want someone with the knack for it doing it.
    Depends. At Blaser for example, if its not straight form the get go, its rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    Just curious but how bad is it and how did it get bent? Might make a difference on the fix.

Thanks

GR Douglas advertised his premium "XX" barrels as never straightened - some of the holes just ened up straight as the bores were drilled.

I wonder if the straighning process is still an issue with hammer forged barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Depends. At Blaser for example, if its not straight form the get go, its rejected.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Just curious but how bad is it and how did it get bent? Might make a difference on the fix.

Thanks

we both don't know how the heck he bent it??? but when you look down the barrel fro the action side you can see all the groves on the right & only a few on the left. at 25yrds I turned his scope all the way to the right & he was still not hitting paper.

I left him my 338. but just wanted to know if it was fixable or should i look at buying him another.

You guys should get "Backbone of the Wehrmacht" by Law and read how the Germans made the k98's. The barrels were straightened after every manufacturing process. It is a miracle they were able to make as many as they did.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

We used to straighten them in a hydraulic press,it was however a very precision press and all measurements were taken while the press was in operation. BUT, if the barrel has been extremely damaged beyond repair as it sounds; the barrel CAN BE replaced regardless of rifle brand. It can even have the caliber modified as long as the new calibers bolt face is the same size as the existing bolt face. It may well be cheaper in the long run to replace the barrel than it is to try to straighten barrel or replace the rifle.
    There are normally gun-smith take-offs available on gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com if you wish to examine this avenue.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

To straighten a barrel is a very serious art form. It takes patience and time to do it right. About hammer forged, they are hammered onto a straight mandrel to start with, so they "should" be straight to begin with. All manufactures do have the test equipment to check barrel hole aliegnment. But, depending on the bend and where it is at... there are less expensive fixes. if just the end... shorten barrel. If only very light bend... see if it effects the accuracy. If serious bend - replacements start at about $75 for most rifles. And that gives you the option to change calibers if you want to. Ever wished you could try a wildcat?- your design, or otherwise? Now you got an action and stock to play with.

Chris

I pm'd you with my number, give me a call. I'd be happy to help.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

your pm box is full