Thread: Anchor Point Chickens Sept 11, 2011

Default Anchor Point Chickens Sept 11, 2011

For the first time ever, I visit the boat launch at Anchor Point. One word of advice for those thinking about launching from there... don't launch at low tide or bring a good set of wheels. The water was at least 200 yards away. As I began hauling my gear, a guy in a 4 wheeler stop by and offers assistance. We load everything up, I run behind holding everything and all is good! Thanks! I came in about an hour and a half after high tide and I dragged the yak about 20 yards to where I could get it with a car.

So the target is feeder kings. From the morning temperatures you could call them winter kings I think. The intel was south of Anchor Point a bit and about 4 miles out. The problem was I got off to a late start by two hours meaning the tide had already turned. Against a 2 to 3 knot current, there was no peddling south. I could make headway, but the instant I changed baits or hooked a halibut, I was 100 yards back.

So I loiter about 4 miles out but I don't get any hits from salmon. I told myself I was going to try to concentrate on kings, but I couldn't help myself and lowered the gear a few times and each time I got a small halibut. Maybe I should have focused on that...

I also got to try my windpaddle sail out. It's great. Super light, compact, and super duper easy to use. I was working against a 1 to 2 knot current but it still pulled me against it and made progress. I'm not sure about 180 deg, but you can get close with the sailing rudder and mirage drive acting as a dagger board. It also would help if I had actual attachments. I jsut clipped them onto my front hatch bungie. Worked even though the two clips were inches apart.

Well I will have to rethink this winter king thing. Maybe once or twice on the perfect day and if I don't oversleep....

Super cool, looks like the sail worked well too! Just watched your Otter video as well, good stuff.

Charterboat Operator

down again and didn't stop for a frosty one!! You are gonna were out that welcome!!
    Might have to throw your yak on top the boat in March and drag you over to Pogi to let you have some fun there, hmmm, could be a LONG paddle back if you were no tnice
    cheers Greg

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    down again and didn't stop for a frosty one!! You are gonna were out that welcome!!
    Might have to throw your yak on top the boat in March and drag you over to Pogi to let you have some fun there, hmmm, could be a LONG paddle back if you were no tnice
    cheers Greg
    Hey Greg! Sorry! I do need to take advantage of your most generous offer. Definitely let me know of any opportunities. I'll pay my share of any expenses.

Well here's my lame excuse but since this is a kayak forum, I will list it as a learning experience. Sometimes I just post the good stuff and people might not realize the "problems" you can run into out there.

So the story goes...

I wanted to hit the high tide on the way back in. That walking everything back up 200 yards didn't appeal to me. Problem was since it was my first time I out, I had fixated on a point that I thought was the take out. Using the sail, I whizzed a half mile past the take out before I realized it. By then, the current had changed and it was a stiff north wind. It too me an hour peddle the half mile back against the wind and current.

I get help on the beach and a conversation starts and another hour goes by. That was okay because it would have taken me an hour to load everything by myself as I was just worn out from that last hour trying to cover a half mile. That was as hard as I had ever worked.

So now its late Sunday evening and I have a 4 hour drive ahead of me and important business meetings first thing in the morning. So I bombed back stopping once to get gas.

Just poor planning and execution all around beginning with the being late by two hours getting on the road. It ruined any chances of getting to the "fertile grounds."

Then misjudging the take out cost me two hours of time that I could have been either fishing or on the road instead of working my back end off trying to get back to the launch.

I am set on planning a good trip fully armed with gear including downrigger and fish high tide to high tide using the outgoing tide to take me south to the bluffs and incoming tide to bring me back. Hopefully a drift sock and a sail plus my normal drive can make the final adjustments and offset enough of the current and wind factor. I feel like the space shuttle trying to land. Once you launch, you are committed to a semi controllable landing minimal powered landing. You misjudge something, You are going to pay a HUGE price in effort and/or time to get back. Well I guess that's part of the challenge!

I will make it a point to stop by next time!

Charterboat Operator

no worries Rudy, just yankin your chain.
    would be fun to throw the yak on the big boat and drag you out to Pogi in the spring, imagine you coul dREALLY get some
    WTH looks all the way out there!

Always amazed at how much thought went into the design of your boat.
    Its just a great craft..
    I was watching the downrigger video also .. takes alot of thought and experience to operate such things in such a small space.
    you are well organized and move with deliberate motions. Its really alot of fun to watch you operate the boat and catch the fish.
    on the down rigger setup,, I know they make some down rigger weights that are supposed to cut thru the water better than others due to the shape. where you are using man power and a little sail power to move your boat, I am sure you are always aware of the drag caused by your fishing tackle.
    I have seen some down rigger weights that are almost a flat surface instead of torpedo or fish shape. the flat shape is about like the look of a sunfish.. We used these in Seward this summer and I was amazed at how much less drag these downrigger weights worked. the cannon ball ones we had on vs the sunfish ,, night and day..
    just some thoughts..
    again,, thank you for your great posts and you inspire many many people with your posts and videos
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    Always amazed at how much thought went into the design of your boat.
    Its just a great craft..
    I was watching the downrigger video also .. takes alot of thought and experience to operate such things in such a small space.
    you are well organized and move with deliberate motions. Its really alot of fun to watch you operate the boat and catch the fish.
    on the down rigger setup,, I know they make some down rigger weights that are supposed to cut thru the water better than others due to the shape. where you are using man power and a little sail power to move your boat, I am sure you are always aware of the drag caused by your fishing tackle.
    I have seen some down rigger weights that are almost a flat surface instead of torpedo or fish shape. the flat shape is about like the look of a sunfish.. We used these in Seward this summer and I was amazed at how much less drag these downrigger weights worked. the cannon ball ones we had on vs the sunfish ,, night and day..
    just some thoughts..
    again,, thank you for your great posts and you inspire many many people with your posts and videos
    Max
    Thanks Max! I will definitely look into the disc shaped weights. It's not bad right now, it feels like you are peddling through thicker water. I put a oversized sailing rudder and that solves any tracking issue due to drag.

This is my first real year kayak fishing. It has been AWESOME with a CAPITAL "A" and "W" and....

The best part is losing 30 pound during the season! But every fish is more exciting. I have to admit, I was getting to the point where I was getting upset if I didn't catch a fish from a powerboat given the time and money. And every year, there just seems to be fewer and fewer fish. So this has been just a great mental boost for my "fishing time." Amazingly, I think this year, I have caught more consistently due to the targeted focus and planning the kayak requires.

Throw the kayak on top of my civic and in many cases I am fishing side by side and catching just as many fish as the beautiful 26 ft sea runner with dual 150's. Don't get me wrong, I lust after such a boat ( I have two smaller power boats) but I have to grin when I hook up and think about the gas bill on my civic and kayak! lol.

The other great thing about the kayak is it does make me more efficient. I tend to be the guy that brings 4 tackle boxes, and 10 rods when I get invited out. This kayak thing has really helped me focus on required gear and minimum equipment.

I need to check out your neck of the woods. I grew up in Kenai, went K-12 there, and obviously I fish hard... I have NEVER been on ANY kind of watercraft above the Soldotna Bridge in my life!!! I am a Pillars to the City Dock guy...for over 30 years. So that's on my list to do.

Thanks again. I will definitely check out the disc weights!