Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Any Ruger Bisley shooters out there?

  1. #1
    Member billy jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wasilla AK
    Posts
    182

    Default Any Ruger Bisley shooters out there?

    Thinking my next revolver is gonna be a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 45 Colt/45 ACP convertible. Lookin for the 5.5" barrel stainless model w/ laminate grips, just checkin to see if anyone has seen them locally in Anch or the Valley area.
    Already got a 45 Vaquero, 357 Blackhawk and Single Six 22, Think the Bisley is gonna finish my Ruger single action collection. For any Bisley shooters/ hunters, my question is How do you like em, compared to the Blackhawk. When shooting 45 hot loads out of my Vaquero, the recoil is not controlled like when I shoot a standard grip revolver. I'm thinking the Bisley frame will handle heavy loads better. Looking to carry it for hunting and field use.

    Billy
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

  2. #2

    Default

    I can't comment on the availability in AK as I am not up there, but they are available on Gunbroker fairly regularly. I will say however that your assesment of the recoil handling ability is right in line with what Linebaugh, Bowen, and Reeder all say. They build nearly all of their custom heavy hitters on Bisley frames.

    I myself should have my very first single action in my hands in about 4 hours. It is a semi custom Bisley 45 colt with 4 5/8" barrel (never available from the factory to my knowledge) with the Bowen Rough Country sights and Belt Mountain locking base pin. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I'll report later today as to what the recoil feels like, although recoil doesn't bother me much from the bigger guns. I am not a fan of Air weight .357's however.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bakerton, WV
    Posts
    467

    Default

    I am one of the few that hates the Bisley. I have large hands and they beat my middle knuckle. They also transmit recoil through to the back of my hand. I have found them sensitive to hold too, POI changing when the gun is picked up again.
    It was designed for one hand target shooting with lighter loads so the barrel was more in line with the eye. It was never designed for recoil.
    They are a love, hate grip that you really need to try before buying. You might love it or sell the gun fast.

  4. #4

    Default

    There are grip frames available for the Vaquero to switch it from Blackhawk style to Bisley style grip. If you just want to have a Bisley gripped gun; Cheaper than buying a whole new firearm. However you may be looking to add to your collection and then the purchase of a new pistol is a fun endeavor.
    I also would suggest you shoot a Bisley styled grip pistol with several different types of ammo before a major purchase, it might change your mind.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    I've got a Bisley Hunter in 45 Colt. I shoot 355gr WFN's at 1200fps. Recoil is a non-issue. I'll be using it moose hunting in a few days. The rifle is staying home. I've posted a bunch on here about my journey with this gun. I was looking for a 5.5 Bisley when I came across this BisHunter right here in Fairbanks. Being as only 279 were made is was a find. Keep your eyes and ears open, you never know what you will find.


  6. #6
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    I am one of the few that hates the Bisley. I have large hands and they beat my middle knuckle. They also transmit recoil through to the back of my hand. I have found them sensitive to hold too, POI changing when the gun is picked up again.
    It was designed for one hand target shooting with lighter loads so the barrel was more in line with the eye. It was never designed for recoil.
    They are a love, hate grip that you really need to try before buying. You might love it or sell the gun fast.
    100% agree! For me they just donít feel right in the hand, are harder to shoot because they are anything but a natural pointer, and make heavy recoil painful. There are those that love them but they are far from a universal fit, especially for large hands.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  7. #7

    Default

    Well I am SUPER pleased with mine. Recoil was easy to manage with 325's @ 1200. My hands are big but not thick. The grip is very comfortable for me. Much more so than the traditional SA grip. The only grips that feel better in my hand are Bird's Heads.

  8. #8

    Default

    Love the Bisley, the best for controling recoil IMHO & E.

  9. #9
    Member billy jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wasilla AK
    Posts
    182

    Default

    So who carries the Bisley model locally?????
    That's the main reason I'm wanting it is because of the grip style for heavy loads. I carry an old model Vaquero with 335 gr hard cast Alaskan Backpackers in it for moose and bear and the recoil when practicing with heavy loads in not fun. I'm a huge fan of Ruger single actions and don't have a Bisley and they really appeal to me, and they look like they would be way more shooter friendly with Ruger Only Loads!
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    Love the Bisley, the best for controling recoil IMHO & E.
    +1 -- I couldn't agree more. The plow handle moves around too much for my taste, which is a recipe for disaster when recoil is heavy. And I too have big mitts, and prefer the recoil to come straight back.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bakerton, WV
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    So who carries the Bisley model locally?????
    That's the main reason I'm wanting it is because of the grip style for heavy loads. I carry an old model Vaquero with 335 gr hard cast Alaskan Backpackers in it for moose and bear and the recoil when practicing with heavy loads in not fun. I'm a huge fan of Ruger single actions and don't have a Bisley and they really appeal to me, and they look like they would be way more shooter friendly with Ruger Only Loads!
    I also shoot the old Vaquero with heavy loads, heavy boolits and it did hurt. I put Pachmeyer grips on mine and it is a world of difference. I would try them before going full Bisley. Pachmeyer's change the grip just enough to still allow the gun to raise your arms without the palm punch of the Bisley.
    I bought a Bisley Hunter in .44 and sold it fast but the Hunter hog leg with Pach's on it is great. I shot Whit's Bisley Hunter and 12 shots had the back of my hand hurting. When I shot IHMSA with my SBH and Pach's, I could shift my grip all over as ranges and target elevations changed without losing a target. Not so with a Bisley, you do not dare change hold.
    The S&W 29 was a bust at IHMSA because groups could move 10" at 50 meters by how the grip was held and the Bisley is also sensitive. Not as much, but it is there.
    Ask Whit why he needs thick padded gloves and has had to put a box of band aids on his fingers while I shoot all of my guns bare handed. Bisley handle recoil!!!! Ha, what a joke. Let your arms come up instead of letting the gun punch you.
    The Bisley is like a poor rifle stock that punches your cheek every shot.
    It is a love, hate thing but even those that get beat bad from it will defend it. Try them first, you might like them but I never will.
    My suggestion will always remain the same. Shoot the guns first. Don't listen to anyone.
    This is my Vaquero at 50 yards. The grip is perfect.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    526

    Default

    You power of recollection is once again failing you, Jim. The only gun that has succeeded in cutting my hands up was the .500 JRH BFR with the you guessed, plow handle grip frame. Big surprise. I shoot with a glove to preserve as virtually all of my revolvers kick harder than yours as many are double actions that put all of the recoil into the web of your hand.

    You seem to object to anyone liking the Bisley, why is that?

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    I also shoot the old Vaquero with heavy loads, heavy boolits and it did hurt. I put Pachmeyer grips on mine and it is a world of difference. I would try them before going full Bisley. Pachmeyer's change the grip just enough to still allow the gun to raise your arms without the palm punch of the Bisley.
    I bought a Bisley Hunter in .44 and sold it fast but the Hunter hog leg with Pach's on it is great. I shot Whit's Bisley Hunter and 12 shots had the back of my hand hurting. When I shot IHMSA with my SBH and Pach's, I could shift my grip all over as ranges and target elevations changed without losing a target. Not so with a Bisley, you do not dare change hold.
    The S&W 29 was a bust at IHMSA because groups could move 10" at 50 meters by how the grip was held and the Bisley is also sensitive. Not as much, but it is there.
    Ask Whit why he needs thick padded gloves and has had to put a box of band aids on his fingers while I shoot all of my guns bare handed. Bisley handle recoil!!!! Ha, what a joke. Let your arms come up instead of letting the gun punch you.
    The Bisley is like a poor rifle stock that punches your cheek every shot.
    It is a love, hate thing but even those that get beat bad from it will defend it. Try them first, you might like them but I never will.
    My suggestion will always remain the same. Shoot the guns first. Don't listen to anyone.
    This is my Vaquero at 50 yards. The grip is perfect.

    The S&W is not as grip sensitive as you claim, if they were then I could not have hit these 2 12 guage shotgun hulls at 50 yards



    In my experience the Bisley is not nearly as grip sensitive as the "plow" handle. I simply do not shoot the "plow handle" with loads above the 240 grain factory in 44 mag. A 327 gain at 1337 FPS will litteraly put the hammer into my wrist in a "plow handle" grip frame 44 mag

    You are one of the few that doesn't like the "Bisley"

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bakerton, WV
    Posts
    467

    Default

    I never owned a S%W 29 that was not deadly accurate and 1/2" groups at 50 yards was common with open sights. I would shoot a tiny group, paint the target, pick up the gun and shoot another tiny group but 10" from the first. This was Creedmore from the side of my leg. I would hit the first five chickens at a shoot dead center, put the gun down while targets were set and then miss the next 5.
    It is the reason the S&W never did worth a darn at IHMSA, not an accuracy problem at all but how the gun was held. The gun always shot better off hand. Maybe a grip change would have fixed it.
    The SRH is capable of 1/2" groups and groups do not bounce around if the gun is just held firm.
    I could shift my grip all over with the SBH and never miss. I have shot many Bisleys and never shot as small of groups with them.
    I figure it is recoil impulse straight back and then barrel rise that puts the muzzle in different places for boolit exit.
    It is why I don't suggest ANY grip to anyone and why I say to try them first.
    I don't push the hog leg because some don't like them and I refuse to push the Bisley because some won't like them. It is a 50-50 thing.

  15. #15
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    So who carries the Bisley model locally?????
    That's the main reason I'm wanting it is because of the grip style for heavy loads. I carry an old model Vaquero with 335 gr hard cast Alaskan Backpackers in it for moose and bear and the recoil when practicing with heavy loads in not fun. I'm a huge fan of Ruger single actions and don't have a Bisley and they really appeal to me, and they look like they would be way more shooter friendly with Ruger Only Loads!
    I just saw this one for sale in your neck of the woods. I don't know anything about it or the seller. Just giving you a heads up.

    http://www.907bigboytoys.com/categor...hawk-45LC.html

  16. #16
    Member billy jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wasilla AK
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I just saw this one for sale in your neck of the woods. I don't know anything about it or the seller. Just giving you a heads up.

    http://www.907bigboytoys.com/categor...hawk-45LC.html

    Thanks Snyd,

    Yeah i saw that one, for the Bisley I want it stainless and a 5.5" barrel. I found a 44 mag hunter just like yours at Sportsman's in Wasilla yesterday in the 650.00 range, I foundled it and I really like the grip on that thing.
    Pretty sure around pfd time I'll be the new owner of one.
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bakerton, WV
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    The S&W is not as grip sensitive as you claim, if they were then I could not have hit these 2 12 guage shotgun hulls at 50 yards



    In my experience the Bisley is not nearly as grip sensitive as the "plow" handle. I simply do not shoot the "plow handle" with loads above the 240 grain factory in 44 mag. A 327 gain at 1337 FPS will litteraly put the hammer into my wrist in a "plow handle" grip frame 44 mag

    You are one of the few that doesn't like the "Bisley"
    I don't shoot at shotgun shells like that. I lay them down and shoot into the bases at 50 yards. I just ran 5 for 5 with the BFR .500 JRH, 440 gr boolit with 29.5 gr of 296. There is no way I could do this with a Bisley.
    I did nick the rail on one and peeled the brass off, split the case almost in half. I only found 3, the rest are gone.
    I set up a row of black walnuts and made mush of every one. If I miss with this thing, it is only me. If I could see a dime at 50 I could hit it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •