Thread: Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Compact: Anybody own one?

Default Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Compact: Anybody own one?

I was checking out the Winchester website to see what's new. I noticed the compact model has a 20 in. barrel and weighs about 6lbs. 8oz. This is a good looking rifle and was wondering if anybody has shot one or owns one.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535126

I thought it was a nice looking rig and wonder if they will offer it with a composite stock?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I thought it was a nice looking rig and wonder if they will offer it with a composite stock?
    Yeah, but then it wouldn't be a nice looking rig anymore. But since nearly every high end synthetic stock manufacturer on the face of the earth makes a drop-in stock for the M70, that's always an easy option. That way you can keep the nice stick for when you want to transform it back into a nice looking rig.

I have not owned or fired the compact, but surethe standard featherweight. It's a sweet little classic.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Still too long of a stock. The 13" LOP is too long for most young shooters. All of my kids, when they started needed something in the 12 1/4" range. I can easily shoot their short stocked guns, but it's tough for them to shoot a stock that is too long.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

What kind of weight difference would you expect with a quality composite stock?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    What kind of weight difference would you expect with a quality composite stock?
    Depends on the material but I would guess on average it would push it up to around 7 lbs. I was thinking it to be a handy rig that could take some beatings and weather and not warp or hurt the owners feelings if it got a couple scars. Even at 7 it would be comfy to tote around...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Depends on the material but I would guess on average it would push it up to around 7 lbs. I was thinking it to be a handy rig that could take some beatings and weather and not warp or hurt the owners feelings if it got a couple scars. Even at 7 it would be comfy to tote around...
    So you think it would get heavier? I figured it would get lighter, but thats a totally un-educated thought...

Maybe someone with more experience will jump in but my take has been the real hard, almost plastic composites, tend to be lighter but to me do not feel very good and can add recoil. The stocks are always undergoing improvements and the newest better quality ones seem to be a bit heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    So you think it would get heavier? I figured it would get lighter, but thats a totally un-educated thought...
    A McMillan compact EDGE stock would save you around 8 to 12 oz. or so. An aftermarket unit over the factory one-piece steel bottom metal will save you another couple of ounces. Around a pound saved right there.