Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Moose Bacon...

  1. #1

    Default Moose Bacon...

    Anyone know where I can get some made up? Got a BIG fork horn today and would like to try some... Thanks

  2. #2

    Default

    Mike's Meats in Eagle River makes game bacon for $3 per lbs and you get your meat back.

  3. #3

    Default

    I had some last winter that was made by Indian Valley Meats. It was most excellent. I do all my meat processing, and jerky / sausage making myself but I might have to think pretty hard about taking some meat in for that.

  4. #4
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,112

    Default

    Just picked up 19lbs from Indian Valley Meats made out of my moose. Get the Pepper bacon, worth the extra $.10 a lb.
    BK

  5. #5

    Default

    Great guys thats what I needed to know. What cut of meat do they prefer I was thinking a whole hind quarter...any thoughts? Thanks

  6. #6
    Charterboat Operator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage AK.
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    after having both Indian Valley and Mike's bacon made up, I would personally suggest MIkes, IV is ok, but tastes alot like ham, compared to Mikes, which is a much more bacony taste. JM2C
    Black bear makes the BEST bacon of any of the meats i have tried.

  7. #7
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Any one have a recipe for making bear bacon? I like hunting black bear and I love bacon!!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Any one have a recipe for making bear bacon? I like hunting black bear and I love bacon!!
    Google making bacon. It is rather simple to accomplish, and takes about a week. Our family has used the rib meat from, moose, caribou and bear for bacon. Smoking it slow is the key to the process.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    after having both Indian Valley and Mike's bacon made up, I would personally suggest MIkes, IV is ok, but tastes alot like ham, compared to Mikes, which is a much more bacony taste. JM2C
    Black bear makes the BEST bacon of any of the meats i have tried.
    You know, I do recall thinking the IV bacon reminded me of ham. Bit was still very tasty. Maybe because it was handed to me hot out of the skillet as I stepped out of a plane on a frozen remote lake with air temps around -10 F. Anything hot was going to taste good to me at that point

  10. #10
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    Black bear makes the BEST bacon of any of the meats i have tried.
    Suddenly I am feeling far more motivated to go find a black bear next month. I was already planning on it, but the best bacon? Done. I'll report back if I get some results to sample.

  11. #11
    Member hooternanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Interior, AK
    Posts
    404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    You know, I do recall thinking the IV bacon reminded me of ham. Bit was still very tasty. Maybe because it was handed to me hot out of the skillet as I stepped out of a plane on a frozen remote lake with air temps around -10 F. Anything hot was going to taste good to me at that point
    the 1st year mikes did it, it was a bit hammy, second year it was more bacon-e, the third year it was the bomb, but i moved away
    edit signature here

  12. #12

    Default

    Talked to Mikes yesterday. Cut of meat dont much matter as its a grind process but they grind it larger than normal if that makes any sense. Bottom line burger meat is bacon material. And its a 50% gain. Prices are good as well.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Peters Creek
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Just picked up 19lbs from Indian Valley Meats made out of my moose. Get the Pepper bacon, worth the extra $.10 a lb.
    BK
    I have thought about bring down some of my steaks and have turned into bacon. When I dropped of my ground I was told it was to fine a grind.

  14. #14
    Member jkb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

  15. #15

    Default

    I dropped some moose at Mike's to be made into bacon and weiners. Keep in mind, their prices do not include wrap or packaging. The bacon is not even sliced. All of that is additional, I can vacuum seal and slice on my own and save a few hundred.

  16. #16
    Charterboat Operator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage AK.
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I dropped some moose at Mike's to be made into bacon and weiners. Keep in mind, their prices do not include wrap or packaging. The bacon is not even sliced. All of that is additional, I can vacuum seal and slice on my own and save a few hundred.
    when you drop off your meat, ask them to slice it. it is much nicer to get pre sliced rather than the slabs, only issue i have found is that you need to almost repack them after you pick it up. the packages that they do are about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds, unless you are making a breakfast for 10-12 people that is! burnt up one meat slicer doing about 30 pounds and slicing it myself the first time

  17. #17

    Default

    Mikes meats! Never again took in fresh clean moose received dirty borderline taint tasting meat/hot dogs. Bacon appeared to have crap in it that definitely did not come from the moose I dropped off. Tried Indian Valley this year very impressed, Clean, tasty, packaged well and reasonable priced

  18. #18

    Default

    I'm with Gman. I've had two bad experiences and then checked out their customer reviews. never again for me. Indian Valley makes good bacon but it's time to figure it out on my own. Thanks for sharing your recipe Crabtree, my wife and kids love moose and caribou bacon.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    I have thought about bring down some of my steaks and have turned into bacon. When I dropped of my ground I was told it was to fine a grind.
    What cuts do they normally turn into bacon? Bacon is traditionally the belly of the pig. Is everyone just saving the bear belly to bring in?

    Turning ground meat into bacon seems like it should be impossible.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    All-I-SAW, AK.
    Posts
    1,032

    Thumbs up Its EASY!!

    Quote Originally Posted by z987k View Post
    What cuts do they normally turn into bacon? Bacon is traditionally the belly of the pig. Is everyone just saving the bear belly to bring in?

    Turning ground meat into bacon seems like it should be impossible.
    It's FAR from impossible..
    The wife and I were sick and tired of paying out so much for bacon, brats, links, etc...
    This year, we said sc**w it and just got the required stuff to make it ourselves.
    And for the bacon, yep, we used just a one time coarse grind for all of it. None of it was finely ground. Just like the same stuff you'd use for regular ground and whatnot. I used pork fat to get the required fat ratio and total weight. Then added water/cure/seasonings/beer into a bowl, stirred it up really good, and poured it into the meat. Massage it in there real good and that's it.
    I got the seasonings from either AK Butcher Supply, Bass Pro, Sporty's, or Cabelas.
    Then we just lightly greased up 9 flexible foil like 11' x 11' cake pans. Pressed the seasoned ground in it (about 3lbs, 1.5" thick), let it cure/cool for 24hrs.
    Then smoked it as directed. ***PAY ATTENTION to internal temps!! Very critical***
    I put 2 pans on each rack in my propane smoker. 6 total per batch.
    I stuck a temp gauge in one of the lower pans and periodically checked the temp as it smoked away. Once the bottom rack was at temp or within 5* of it, I swapped them out with the top rack. Sticking the temp gauge back into the bottom rack of bacon again. Never touched the middle rack, just left it be.
    Once the temps were met, I shut her down, opened the door and let it cool slowly on its own. After cooling, they came into the house, and me a my little $99 Sportsmans Warehouse slicer sliced the loafs into strips. Wallah!!
    We'll never have anyone do it for us again. It turned out really really good... It was a lot easier then I thought it would be too..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •