Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Brooks Range float hunt

Default 2011 Brooks Range float hunt

In late August my wife and I went on our first float hunt in the Brooks Range. Our river of choice? Well it's that popular one so many know about We planned on taking our time driving up to Happy Valley but it rained from Anchorage to Coldfoot so we pretty much pushed on without stopping too long to see many sites. This was my first drive up the Haul Road and I was very impressed with that hills/mountains section between Coldfoot and Galbraith Lake. Very cool area! We made it to Happy Valley where 70 North would fly us into the mountains. Both Mike and Bob were great to talk to and did a fine job getting us to our destination safely.

Water levels were low but that was expected. The first two days were mostly spent walking the raft downstream and taking in the scenery. We did a fair amount of glassing but only saw Dall sheep ewes and lambs. Day three we saw what would be the nicest bull we'd see the entire trip. He was 2 miles away and headed down valley. We were just starting our float for the day so I thought perhaps we'd cross paths again. Day 3 and 4 went by with more glassing but few animals spotted. Four days and one caribou, I was getting a bit nervous but at least the weather had been perfect. Oh, and the fishing was out of this world!

On day 5 we decided to explore a side valley and not do any floating. So we loaded up our packs for a day away from the raft and hiked into the valley. As we rounded a small knoll we came face to face with a small bear, his head buried in the blue berries. Although I had a bear tag I could tell right away this fella was small so we opted to notify him of our presence and hope he would move along, which he did after standing on his hind legs to get our scent. As we watched him move across the valley my wife looked behind us on the slope and saw a cow caribou looking back at us. Our first stalk opportunity in 5 days so we elected to go for her. My wife suggested I go alone and she'd stay behind to watch through the spotter. I thought the cow looked to be on fairly high alert, so I figured within 15 minutes I'd either have my shot opportunity or she would move on. I ran out of cover quickly but she gave me the shot I needed. Finally we had one caribou down. We packed her back to camp and spent the rest of the day dealing with meat care. Temps were hot that day so after spraying on citric acid we submersed the meat in the river to cool it quickly. A couple more pictures of the area:

Day 6 we floated out of the mountains. Luckily flows had picked up so we did little dragging at this point. Most folks told us to hunt the mountains and not so much on the tundra, so once we left the mountains I didn't have much expectations for seeing caribou. We floated past a base camp and talked to two fellas, they pretty much confirmed what we'd been seeing - lots of scenery with very few caribou. But again, weather was amazing so that evening we enjoyed caribou tenderloins on the fire and enjoyed a late evening sunset as a rainstorm moved through the mountains.

Day 7 we got an early start and figured we'd push hard for the takeout. However, our plans changed as we rounded the bend and I saw some caribou on a distant gravel bar. We beached the raft about 1/4 mile upriver, my wife grabbed her rifle, and the stalk was on. We were fairly exposed but kept our profile as low as we could as we inched closer. But at 250 yards we ran out of cover with two caribou (both bulls) looking our way. My wife and I discussed the shot and she didn't feel comfortable with that range. I really hoped to get Cara her first caribou so we waited awhile to see if our situation would change. But the bulls were starting to move so when one gave me a shot opportunity I took it. I was a bit disappointed we couldn't close the distance for a closer shot for my wife, but we were both very happy to harvest our second animal. We floated the raft within 10' of this bull and processed him as the cow cooled in the river. A few hours later we moved downriver to set up camp.

Day 8 we floated the remaining 20 miles to the takeout and packed up for home. We had 8 days of amazing weather, were blessed with two caribou, and got to take a float hunt through some awesome country. Best of all, I got to do the trip with my wife, what a trooper

A couple more pics:

Jeff

Good story. Thanks! Great pics. Better luck next time for the wife.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Outstanding photos of some great looking country. Good storyline. Perhaps next time for the wife.

Great write-up. Thanks.

Nice trip, thanks.

You two had a great trip indeed. There is nothing better than to do a Brooks range float hunt with your wife .Very nice write up, congrats .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Congrat's to you and your wife! Really nice, crisp photos and what a great story!

yes indeed a great trip for certain
    love the colors of the Char.
    what a beautiful place to spend your early fall ..
    great job .. both of you ..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thanks everyone! It was a great trip. The last couple miles of our float I commented to my wife I was sorry she didn't get an opportunity to harvest a caribou. She said "Ya know, that aspect just wasn't really important to me. I had a great time regardless."

What type of raft did you use ???
    Thanks

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER RICK View Post
    What type of raft did you use ???
    Thanks

RR
    SOAR Pro Pioneer. It worked well for the shallow, narrow river in the upper valley. A bigger, heavier raft and I might still be up there dragging.

Good deal . I love my Pro Pioneer .
    You have any pics of the PP loaded with the two bou and your gear ??

Thanks again

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Hard for me to believe, but no, I don't have PP loaded pics. And I kept telling myself the entire trip to make sure to take pictures of that very scene. Darn! All my PP pics are of it sitting unloaded next to the tent inside the bear fence.

We tried to go fairly light in terms of gear we took with us but still ended up with a full raft. For loading the caribou I followed Larry B's general guidance: dry bags on bottom, willow branches across the tubes to keep the game bags elevated for air flow, pack frame on top of game bags for air circulation above, then tarp for shade. Add in periodic rotation of the game bags and temp checks throughout the day and the meat did just fine despite some warm temps.

Nice story, looks like you two know how to live. It looks like I see a gas can in your pic? Is it and if so what did you have running on fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff p View Post
    Nice story, looks like you two know how to live. It looks like I see a gas can in your pic? Is it and if so what did you have running on fuel?
    You are correct, a 1 gallon gas can. Carried a 1/2 gallon of coleman fuel in it for the cook stove. Far more gas than we needed but decided to take extra rather than deal with the couple 11 oz MSR bottles I have.

Awesome float. My wife and I would love to do a trip in the Brooks one day. Thanks for the pictures and the write up.

Jeff

Very interesting story. I am excited to hear and see your experience of the area. My wife and I floated the exact same hunt a few weekas ago. I will post our story soon so as to share what we saw and experienced. Great job and congradulations on your success.

TGJ

Fine story, great photos. Everybody needs to hunt, fish, and raft that country way up north at least one time. And you could spend a lifetime up there doing different areas, or the same area over and over.
    Even the 15 or 16 hour road trip from southcentral up to Happy Valley is generally fun.
    Those buck Char in their fall spawning colors are, in my opinion, the most beautiful fish in Alaska.
    Flying with 70North is always a reliable and safe way to start your hunt.

AlaskaTrueAdventure

Awesome writeup. Thanks for sharing!

Dennis, you are right; the spawning male char is second to none for beauty. That pic is awesome.
    Proud to be an American!

Looks and sounds like a fantastic trip with your wife!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast