Thread: Question on fishing in the Anchorage Area

Default Question on fishing in the Anchorage Area

I will be traveling to Anchorage in May. While my wife attends a conference, I will have some free time, and thought about trying to do a little fishing. I would like to do something that requires the least amout of gear, don't want to hassle with flying with it, and the least amount of money, don't think I can swing a guided tour. I stick to mainly pond fishing at home, so don't have too much "fancy" gear, just spinning tackle. What is available in this area? Any insight or information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

If you will be here the very end of May you can try fishing for King Salmon in Ship Creek which is in downtown Anchorage.
    Tennessee

Default Yep

Yep Kings will be there late may. You can rent King Rods at a bait shack on the river, and also at 6th ave outfitters (on 6th ave downtown anchorage). There are also a ton of lakes in Anchorage to fish, Sand lake, cheney lake, beercan lake all sorts. The lakes will have stocked trout, and some pike in certain lakes. If you rent a car you can go to many different king rivers (little su, willow, montana) all are from 1.5-3 hours from anchorage (North). If you just buy a small rod then I'd say fish for trout (all you need is spinners really) and try Willow river for trout, or go south and fish Quartz for trout and I think (could be wrong here) grayling. Or upper ship creek here in Anchorage. Or some lakes up in Wasilla.

I guess I'm telling you there are a million places to fish. If you have other questions just ask! Also if the timing is right I'd take you down to Ship Creek and lend you a fishing rod and reel. If you seemed allright I'd let you borrow it for your vacation.

Yep-

I appreciate the info. I will only be there a few days, so if I get to go one time, that would be plenty. I have takedown rod combos, so that may fit in my luggage, or worse case just pick up a cheap combo there. I don't really even eat fish, just really enjoy it, purely catch and release. I should be there May 11-16th. I think, staying at the Anchorage Marriott, so I am just trying to find out if there is something close, and easy/fun to do. I don't need trophy size fish, it's just a once and a lifetime chance to go, so I figured I would regret not trying to fish some.

Thanks for the info, and the offer, may try to take you up on it.

dmk,

Shoot me an e-mail alaskamokai@gmail.com. I live about 4 miles away from a lake that has big trout in it, Just don't want to give away all the big ones, but for a once in a lifetime.

Cheers,

Alaskamokaiman-

Thanks for the offer, I will definitely drop you a line as the time gets closer. I am really starting to look forward to the trip.

dmk sent you PM

Well the trip is approaching. Looks like I'll get 1 free day (probably next Monday) or part of it to possibly try fishing. Thinking of hitting ship creek, what type of gear do I need, what might I be fishing for their? I've only fished for bass, catfish and perch before, so feel like I might be a little out of my element.

Thanks for any info.

You'll be a bit early for kings at Ship. There may be a few fish in but you'll have to hunt hard for them. I was down there this past Monday and didn't see or catch a thing. You'll need at least hip boots but chest waders are better. Stay in the stream bottom to avoid most of the mud and WATCH THE TIDE. Don't get yourself in a pickle. Stay out of the mud unless you have others around you. It can really grab and hold a person - and with rising water, well, not a good situation to be in. A king capable rod of your choice (spin/bait/fly) and a reel and line to match. I use a 10 wt. fly rod and a reel with a very good drag. At Ship, I go heavy with the leader due to the typical crowded conditions when the fish are in. Nothing less than 20 lb. and sometimes I'm using 30 lb. If I care about actually landing them, 30 lb. is the way to go. I don't use other types of gear there much, but a spinning rod with 25 lb. test should manage too.