Thread: New to Duck Hunting The Peninsula

Default New to Duck Hunting The Peninsula

Hello to Everyone,<BR><BR>My wife and I are farely new to the Peninsula as we just moved up here 2 years ago. We absolutely love to duck hunt and I have actually just recently introduced her to the great past time of hunting ducks. Which she has fallen in love with. On a recent outing she killed her first wigeon and drake mallard. I have been duck hunting all my life and have all the appropriate gear. My problem at this point is I only know of a select few places to hunt in Kenai with very little knowledge of where else to try. I am noticing that the few places I do hunt at this point are starting to see alot of pressure. Anybody on the Kenai with knowledge of places to go looking for some new hunting partners? Or is there anyone with maybe a little advice on areas to try? Not asking for you to give up your secret spots by any means just maybe a few pointers on where to try. I am always looking for new hunting partners to share a wonderful time with and who sgare the same passion as me for the birds. To everyone else good luck hunting and I hope everyone has a successfull season.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Justin

Quote Originally Posted by AKBirdhunter View Post
    Hello to Everyone,<BR><BR>My wife and I are farely new to the Peninsula as we just moved up here 2 years ago. We absolutely love to duck hunt and I have actually just recently introduced her to the great past time of hunting ducks. Which she has fallen in love with. On a recent outing she killed her first wigeon and drake mallard. I have been duck hunting all my life and have all the appropriate gear. My problem at this point is I only know of a select few places to hunt in Kenai with very little knowledge of where else to try. I am noticing that the few places I do hunt at this point are starting to see alot of pressure. Anybody on the Kenai with knowledge of places to go looking for some new hunting partners? Or is there anyone with maybe a little advice on areas to try? Not asking for you to give up your secret spots by any means just maybe a few pointers on where to try. I am always looking for new hunting partners to share a wonderful time with and who sgare the same passion as me for the birds. To everyone else good luck hunting and I hope everyone has a successfull season.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Justin
    Welcome to the forum AKBirdhunter. As you can see by the lack of response to your question, the first post you make asking for information probably isn't goingto garner a lot of response. But with that, search the forum and see the info that has already been posted and you will find some good information. Post some results of your efforts so folks know that you are really a hunter (yes, people do get on these forums just for information that can lead them to ways to sabatoge hunting) and you will have some responses in the form of personal messages that help out. Nd by the way, great for you to have your wife as your partner, it makes for perhaps the best hunting partner relationship there is.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBirdhunter View Post
    Welcome to the forum AKBirdhunter. As you can see by the lack of response to your question, the first post you make asking for information probably isn't goingto garner a lot of response. But with that, search the forum and see the info that has already been posted and you will find some good information. Post some results of your efforts so folks know that you are really a hunter (yes, people do get on these forums just for information that can lead them to ways to sabatoge hunting) and you will have some responses in the form of personal messages that help out. Nd by the way, great for you to have your wife as your partner, it makes for perhaps the best hunting partner relationship there is.

Default Thanks

Never really thought of it that way. It truely is a shame that people would do that but I guess this day in change you have to expect everything. I will definitely continue to post on my adventures and continue to watch the forum. I have been hunted since I was a little boy where I spent most my younger days running around several duck ponds in california. To which I had to remove myself as things were rapidly changing for the worse. What a choice I made by moving up here as I just absolutely love it here and will be here till the day I become very old. We have been out twice this year on the river and managed to pick up twelve birds the first saturday following the opener and then 6 on the following monday. I hear there are several great places to hunt here in kenai but to be honest from what I hear you have to be carefull about where you do hunt this areas. This being because one step in the wrong direction you could be in a spot you are not suppose to be. Luckily I have a boat so I can escape to a few far away places. I need to get out and some serious scouting. I will definitely continue to adventure around and search for new areas. Thank you for the advise and I will write about my further adventures.
    As for the wife going it makes things alot of fun. I almost enjoy watching her be successfull more then myself. Watching her light up and knowing that I have shared my love for the outdoors with someone is really special.
    Once again Thanks for the advice and good luck to you!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post

sounds to me like you have a pretty decent spot already. 12 in one day and six the next isn't too bad.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

It did have some birds the opening weekend but unfortunately this last weekend we drew a big goose egg as it has seen alot of pressure since then. The first day we went out we saw no other hunters. The second day we saw a couple other party's. One of which tried to go on the back side and catch the birds swinging a long loop into our decoy's. Which was fine with me as the birds didn't make many loops around before being fully committed. I also know from past experience that if you continue to hunt the same spot each weekend the birds become the wiser. I also like the since of adventure and enjoy trying new places to see different things. Of course I would never ask someone to give up there honey whole as I am sure most people have put in alot of time to get there honey whole. Maybe even inquiring to a few new hunting partners as I can't always get my wife to roll out early.LOL. I will continue to search around for places to try and may just find my own honey hole. Never know what can happen when you hunt these birds.