Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Down

Default Bear Down

Let me start out by saying thank you to AGL4NOW for the idea to go to Hope to get a bear.

The work-week ended Friday with me in the office going over next week's schedule with my boss. We got the game plan for work situated, and I decided to show him a couple of my plans for hunting. Plan one was just outside of Anchorage with the bow, Plan 2 was to go North to go for brown bear. Hadn't given south any thought.

We went over the Atlas and I decided the Talkeetna area was out of the question because its so low, and no spot to glass. I'd need better info on where bears have been seen. My boss is big in the Eureka area as he has a cabin there, but I decided against that.

Talking with a fellow forum members, akrstabout, we decided to head outside of Anchorage, but he couldn't go until Saturday morning due to work restraints. So, I jumped on the forums and decided a night hunt out in Hope would suffice my need to get out and enjoy the warmth/sun that is about to disappear.

I headed down, got the truck angled toward the mountains and started glassing. Within 5 minutes I had my bear I wanted picked out, and I was tearing up the mountain. Very well-UNprepared, I took out all of my pack belongings for camping and went on out. I must state, although ashamed of the fact, I was in my "skater" shoes and blue jeans, as when I left the house I was in a hurry. (I had a feeling I was going to kill a bear that night, since I packed on Wednesday and could smell blood, I know weird)

I didn't have a path to go up, so I bush wacked through the worst of it. I went through dead-falls, alders, devils club, holes, streams (lost my shoe twice in mudd) and just pushed myself to the limit. On the way up I was able to snap a picture to show just how hard I was pushing it. In this picture it wasn't raining, I'll leave you to think of how I got soaked. sweat.jpg

I got near the top, so really just out of the ankle-grabbing alders, the slick weeds, the fallen trees, and anything else I may have slipped,tripped, or tumbled on. I should state, I was glassing the bear the whole way up to make sure he was still there. When I got to where I could see the bear (still 800yards away) he started running away. I thought, ****, here goes my shot, he's running for the hills. I drop my pack, swing the rifle up, get him in the cross-airs, and WAIT, he's chasing some sort of ground animal. He hadn't seen me, he was just chasing something around. If I would have shot, he would have taken off. There's no doubt in my mind I would've missed. Here is a picture of where he is on the mountain as I came out. You can't see him, but he's to the left of the two bushes right under the right ridge. closing in.jpg

So, now that the bear isn't running and back to eating berries, I get my game plan back on track. I decided, due to wind, to approach from the left side. I would climb the ridge from the left to right, and come in right along side of him (as the wind was blowing uphill a little ways) By this point I'm passed physical exhaustion. I'm absolutely worn out. I knew he was there, and I had to get to him though. So I dropped everything but my gun and climbed on up. I had to side-hill to him, but didn't know exactly where he was. So, I took my time, glassing with the scope as I went. When I came around the last bump out, where I thought he was I spotted him.

There was a series of four rocks between me and him for me to get my rest on. And, as I knew he was facing awauy I wanted to get into the best possible position. It ended up being the forth rock that gave me the perfect rest. I let him have all 180 grains of it into the heart. He turned and ran towards me, and I gave him another one in the brisket. He stopped and looked like he was going down, but to be safe I gave him one more and he went tumbling down the mountain. <object width="224" height="400" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/595937709612" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/595937709612" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="224" height="400"></embed></object>

It's the second bear that I've harvested, and was one of the hardest day hunts I've ever done.

This is how I first found the bear: beardown.jpg And since it was a solo hunt, it was hard to get a picture of him so I had to put his head on my lap: bearonlap.jpg I'll get him turned into a rug. He ended up beings 5'2" nose to tail and 6' paw to paw. So 5'7" squared. That was after he shrunk for a day, so I'll give him 5'9"

A few shots of the surrounding I got to see surroundings1.jpgsurroundings2.jpg

And after 2 hours of side-hill skinning; I was done with that portion! paw.jpg
    skinned.jpg

Congratulations, well done. You have got too be young, tough, and passionate about bear hunting to climb that mountain, you earned that bear. And thanks for helping control the area predators.

I was able to get some, but not all meat out as he was a good berry-bear. I got finished skinning at 10pm and was down to my truck by 1. It was just as tough going down as up. If I had to do it again I would've brought camping gear up and camped til morning. I got my ***** kicked. At one point I did a literal cart-wheel. Luckily, I didn't break, or tear anything. On the way home, I look up right before Whittier turn out and the Northern Lights were out!! northern lights.jpg It was a perfect ending to a GREAT Friday. I had Ptarmigan chirping to my right, an owl howling in the distance and a bald eagle screeching on the other side of the road. I sat on the hood of the truck again and watched them for about 15 mintues. The hunt started with sitting on the hood glassing, and ended on the truck watching. Perfect.

I was in bed by 4am. Leaving at 4pm, 12 hours later I was cleaned up, and back in bed. I took the hide over to akrstabout's the next morning to skin the head for me, because I'm a bit of a rookie Coming from PA, we don't get too many black bears with a 3 day season. What an incredible day.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Congratulations, well done. You have got too be young, tough, and passionate about bear hunting to climb that mountain, you earned that bear. And thanks for helping control the area predators.
    Thanks. Young, tough and passionate describes it best. I got my but KICKED. Went back up last night to go for them, but took the other way you had posted, up cub creek. Never found the old road though Oh well, I guess more for next year? lol

Great effort, congratulations! Solo has it's perks and you left the mountain with a great trophy and sense of accomplishment. I'm looking for something similar for my first bear sometime in the future.
    Go Big Red!

Awesome work and congratulations! Your story is exactly why I hunt.. The work, the reward and the ability to spend time in area's that only a very few ever get to lay their eyes on.. I believe that when God rested on the 7th day he rested in Alaska since it's as close to Heaven as you can get without going the whole way there!

Well done and a GREAT story!!!!

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Good job bub!

Congratulations to my little brother! Awesome story, which I wish I could have been a part of. I will get up there soon enough, but will read all your stories to continuously make me jealous until I finally do! Great job bud, I'm proud of you!

Awsome!!

Looks like your warming up, getting yer hunt on
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Awsome!!

Looks like your warming up, getting yer hunt on
    Yes-sir! Ready to come sley some bou with ya! Maybe even a big old brown bear Hope the weather clears for you and its a lot better.

Thanks bud! You should come up soon, like this spring!

Well earned bear,congrats
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Well done - wish I was young enough to do some of those crazy things all over again!
    If your doin cartwheels down a mountain, I might suggest slowing down a bit - your a young man with many great hunting years ahead of you - enjoy as many as you can!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    We went back saturday to find the location you posted about. We found all the trails but the old logging road. Well I beleive we had it for a little bit, but so overgrown and nasty in there no definate defined route. We set up and camped where we had to due to no light and being tired. Sunday morning we make it out and up above tree line headed for a ridge. On wrong side of valley and no bears spotted. Needed to be on the left side of the creek. The grass up there was 7' tall and slow going pushing through that stuff. No bears killed sunday. Yes HuntAK59 is passionate about bear hunting and hunting in general! He was sore and wanted to go back up for the weekened!! No water spotted up there and we decided to call it a day and head down, found an easier route coming down near creek and managed to avoid a lot of dead falls. Some of them things are huge. A good forest fire is needed down there, but residents would be in harms way.

Good push man! Thats some excellent determination you got there.

Very cool story, worked hard for that one. Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast