Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy's first caribou

Default Boy's first caribou

Well, this is another write-up by a dad who is proud of his kid. The youngster didn’t bring down a trophy bull caribou, but it was his first game larger than a hare, so we are both rather proud.

To begin with, I had my 10 year-old Johnny out on the range many times this summer, starting with my .223 Savage, and working his way up to a .270. By August he felt ready to take his first big game, and I agreed.
    Attachment 52773

We (self, young son, middle son, and son-in-law) traveled up to the Denali Highway last Saturday and set up camp overlooking the Nenana River valley. It was the first time any of us had ever been there, even though I have lived up here since ‘64, and my boys were born here. We could see caribou down on the flats, but waited for more accessible animals. Attachment 52774We did some planning that night to see where we could camp and glass. We moved the next day to about M.70 and again glassed below us. we saw plenty of animals there also, but by the time we got down to where we had seen one, it was gone. I went up to see Claude and Jennifer at Alpine Lodge, and he suggested we go up the mountain behind the lodge to intercept caribou coming around from behind, so we did that next day but the caribou wouldn’t cooperate.

.........AND THEN?

Release Lake Trout

I had corresponded with Claude earlier, and he had offered the rental of a Ranger, so, even though we did some hunting that evening, and chased after a bull on foot, we took them up on the offer next day and traveled with the Ranger on a trail paralleling the highway and immediately ran into cows traveling with calves. Pressing on we reached a great overlook to do some glassing. My son-in-law, Matt went on a littler ahead and rushed back with the report that there was a bull just ahead by a small lake. Sure enough, he was just standing there waiting for Johnny to make his shot. He wasn’t a big white caper, but Johnny was getting a bit anxious to make a kill, so we decided to take him.

We stalked toward him until we got to about 170 yards (by Matt’s range finder), and, being confident that Johnny was up to the shot, told him to fire on my count. The bull went down and that was that. Then the work began. It wasn’t too far from the Ranger, and we had a nice cold lake to wash things up with.Attachment 52775Attachment 52776

We hung the meat overnight and then left for some moose hunting up on the Steese the next day, which is a less successful story... but maybe next year he will add a moose to his list. He is hooked now.

I want to thank Claude and Jennifer for there kindness, hospitality and advice. Thanks also to folks like Brian M. who also advised this old Mulchatna hunter on where/how to hunt caribou on the Denali.

Excellent, Steve. Where's a pict of the boy's animal?

Did he use the .223 or .270?

Congrats on a successful trip.

Tim

For some reason the attachments didn't come through, but are in the body of the text (???). He used the .270.

Here are two pix that will hopefully come through:Attachment 52777
    Attachment 52778

Way to go Dad! My boy took his first black bear this spring. He shot it with an old 32 special that his grandad used to use. Looking forward to your pictures. Thanks for sharing.

congrats to the boy, taking your first big game and feeding your family is a huge event!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    congrats to the boy, taking your first big game and feeding your family is a huge event!!
    Yup. In the Yupik economy it is party time!

Same inthis country, Party Time, get out the grill and share it around, make that boy a Provider, the highest form of HUNTER..........yeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaawwwwww!!!! !!!!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Congrats on the family hunt!

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question - but I read alot of the stories posted about Denali Highway Caribou, and am curious if this is all the Tier I/II hunts that you have to register for in advance? It's a pretty cool part of the state, but i've never hunted there. Great photos!

Congratulations! What a great hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakZach View Post

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question - but I read alot of the stories posted about Denali Highway Caribou, and am curious if this is all the Tier I/II hunts that you have to register for in advance? It's a pretty cool part of the state, but i've never hunted there. Great photos!
    Yep, this hunt is listed as a Tier I, but is basically a registration hunt that you need to sign up for in November or December during the same application period as the drawing permits. The kicker is that you are limited to one caribou per household and that the entire household is restricted to hunting moose and caribou in Unit 13 for the entire regulatory year.

Sayak - I said it in a rep comment, but I'll say it again here: Well done, sir. That is such great news that your son got on his first animal! These are the moments that boys remember as they become men. Very good stuff.

Good post "sayak" congrats to the new little hunter.

I really hope that they do this Tier 1 thing again next year. Just the family experiences alone from this web forum are enough to make it worth while. I now wish I would have applied and sucked up the fact I would have to hunt moose in Unit 13. I'm definately going to do it next year and encourage my brother to do so also so I can get my neice and my daughter in on a good hunt. Good job Sayak and Johnny.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

After watching my son take his first bou this season, I know how it feels! Congrats to you and yours! I wish you many more!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Way-to-go, Pops & Johnny.

Well done Sayak, from trining your son well to shoot and be responsible to "getting it done"! Heck when I was ten I was still trying to figure out why girls had "cooties" and what they were!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Way to go Dad. All the prep pays off.
    Which village/tribe is the wife from? Time for potlatch and his first dance!
    FYI......if you upload pics to a photo hosting site, like photobucket, you can then post the pics on here in larger format. Little more time consuming but better for forums, IMO. There are other uses for hosting sites also.
    Here's my yupik hunter:
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Steve, well done Dad and congrats to your son on his first big game, very special occasion for sure, making meat for the family. Would love to see the other pics if you can repost them, I'm getting "invalid attachment" on the links. First two pics in the first post are there just fine though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast