Thread: Shipping packs?

Default Shipping packs?

I plan on shipping our packs and gun to petersburgh from pittsburgh Pa.
    Looking for the best way fed-ex, usps. ,ups., ?
    How about packing ,one box 2 packs, 2 boxs one pack each.
    Looking at about 100 lb.
    Any advice would help .

USPS. if you have the time, parcel post which is about half the price of priority air mail. You can send your long guns from yourself to yourself.
    Tennessee

I would avoid parcel post... Sent 5 boxes to Kodiak. 3 got there in a month, the other two took about 3 months.

Though the answer used to be USPS, I'd hesitate to ship ANYTHING that way that had to be there by a certain date. If you have plenty of time (6-8 weeks) USPS would be ok. If you do use USPS, be sure to ship ONLY items you can replace in Petersburg, if the parcels don't arrive. I'd check both Fed X & UPS - they don't deliver everywhere up here - Fed X delivers to Big Lake, but UPS doesn't & that's on the road system. It might be as cheap to pay the extra baggage fees.

They have to be there by oct. 17

usps is not the anwser then, at least not parcel. Try priority, with a garaunteed time. Fed ex otherwise. Good luck.

Curious as to why you would want to do this? Are you afraid the airline will 'loose' your bag? UPS and USPS can do the same.

If you're trying to save money, you'll find that shipping to AK is about 2x or more than anywhere in lower 48. The extra bag fee will likely be half what the shipping would be or less.

Good luck on your hunt.

It would be worth it not to have my pack taken apart and not put back right. In 2005 I landed in dillingham with my northface sleeping bag gone out of my pack.I have been delayed and missed a flight b/c of the TSA going though my bags. I want to take a day pack as carry on and a cooler to bring home the meat and cape. One time my luggage didn't arrive till the next day, causing me to loose a day hunting and delaying the bush flight.

100 pounds USPS priority probably in a larger box may be more expensive than just paying extra baggage fees on the airline. I found that the case when I tried to ship USPS a new vacuum the wife had to buy in Ohio back up here. It was more expensive to ship than pay the extra baggage fee.

And avoid delays by giving yourself pleanty of time at the airport ahead of time. Petersburg is served by AK air and they are usually prettygood on not losing bags. Other places served by Pen air or Era I would be concerned.

Just saying