Thread: How long will it take my good karma to roll around (not a fan of 50" moose regs)

Default How long will it take my good karma to roll around (not a fan of 50" moose regs)

Got out this weekend did serious hiking Friday and Saturday before my wife told me to stay home on Sunday and take care of the Honey-do list. Late Friday evening my buddy and I finally found a good bull moose, but couldn't decide if he was legal or not. He definitely didn't have 4 brow tines but he was surely pushing 50 inches. I haven't been fortunate enough to harvest any big game yet, and my buddy was kind enough to offer me the shot. After looking very carefully I told him that I wasn't comfortable taking it. For the life of me, I couldn't get his right side to look like it was the correct length. We spent close to another 2 and a half hours watching this bull closely amble through the area eating and generally paying us no heed. My buddy spent that time telling me just to take the shot and we'd deal with the measurement once he was down. I made if very clear to him that I wasn't comfortable with the shot given what I had seen but was happy to let him take the shot and otherwise would just keep looking hoping to get a better, more clear view. In the end, the bull walked and we were both left feeling a little down.

I understand the importance of protecting moose populations, but am certainly not a fan of something as easy to make a mistake on as a length restriction. After spending serious time on this moose I am convinced that he was between 49" and 51". We even spent a great deal of time out on Saturday with tape measures measuring different points of reference that we had to see if we could get back out and pursue that bull as the season progresses. After going through all of that I'm not a big fan of something that you can't check affirmatively until after the animal has been harvested. I would have been ok with checking for brow tines (and when seeing that this moose was just wide and clearly didn't meet the 4 brow tine restriction) and moving on.

That's the end of that long rant. Hopefully doing what at least I consider to be the right thing will garner me a good day in the field this season whether it's looking for grouse, rabbits, ducks, or black bears and moose before too long. And hopefully I don't read in the trooper dispatch this week that somebody else was cited for harvesting a 49" moose and not giving me a shot at that guy next year .

Sounds to me like you have had some good Karma already. You have been out hunting with a friend and made a good ethical call despite the urgings of your compadre. You got all the good stuff from the hunt without having to carry 800#'s out of the woods. I know there is a meat side to the story but I personally would call what you got a victory for the home team. A legal moose will come your way soon enough

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    Sounds to me like you have had some good Karma already. You have been out hunting with a friend and made a good ethical call despite the urgings of your compadre. You got all the good stuff from the hunt without having to carry 800#'s out of the woods. I know there is a meat side to the story but I personally would call what you got a victory for the home team. A legal moose will come your way soon enough

Just my nickel
    Drew
    What Toddler said. You made the tough call and I dare say it was the right one.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I dont know what the issue is here, you made an ethical choice, well done. Everyone who has hunted moose ahs been in the same spot, just part of the game. Besides there are "any bull" hunts in Alaska.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

The fact that your hunting partner did not pull the trigger instead, speaks volumns as to why you made the correct decision.

really, just like judging a sheep.
    if you aren't sure, it's not a shot.
    not only did you not have to carry out #800, you didn't have to carry out #750 and turn it over to the troopers along with a wad of cash and your hunting for next year.
    good choice, may you make many more...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

If he keeps hunting he will. Good call not to shoot and keep studying moose antlers.

it usually doesn't take too long. every year that we pass up on a "big one" (probably over 50 but he looks 49 to us), next year we are blessed with an obvious legal one.