Thread: Shotgun slide locked back

Default Shotgun slide locked back

I have an old shotgun that I think is a rebadged savage sold by a dept store. This thing has bounced around the family and sat locked up in at least three different safes over the years. I am sure it isn't worth taking to a smith but if anyone has some ideas for something to try I would appreciate it!!

Lujon,
    Reminds me of a Ruger carbine in 44Mag I received from my dad. It was in "new" condition but the bolt wouldn't pull back. After lots of research I still had no idea what the problem was. Disassembly from the stock required the bolt to be moved so I couldn't get the action out of the wood to check inside. Assembly required the bolt to be in a certain location to lock into the stock so due to lack of any other information I assumed that in a cleaning it was assembled incorrectly causing the bolt to be stuck. Oil and tapping on the bolt handle didn't help. I carefully split the forearm to release the action. Turned out the bolt was just stuck & more oil and force on the bolt handle released the bolt. The stock is OK with a glue line. Sometimes more force is indicated' the problem is when?

I take it what you are saying is the bolt and forarm are locked to the rear? What specific model is it? Help us... help you. The info you gave is somewhat vague.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I take it what you are saying is the bolt and forarm are locked to the rear? What specific model is it? Help us... help you. The info you gave is somewhat vague.
    This is correct my google-fu shows that it is a rebadged Savage 77 sold as a coast to coast stores model 267H.

First loosen the buttstock bolt, it'll make it easier to remove the trigger housing. After you loosen the buttstock, or remove it if you so desire, then remove the trigger housing screw and pin and drop the housing out of the bottom of the reciever. At that point you can determine if the trigger group is the problem. My suspicion lies in the lifter/carrier assembly, but I could be wrong.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thanks gunbugs! So the problem is with the piece that keeps the shells in the feed tube. It is very loose and slid up and jammed the bolt. I got the bolt/slide freed but the piece is still very loose and does not drop out so that a shell can be lifted into battery. I have a similar Stevens 20 gauge and this part is very solid in it. I have tried tightening the screw that retains it but no luck there. Any ideas? I hate to tear down the 20 gauge to try and figure out what is different and possibly end up with 2 broken guns!

Well, I yanked it down one more (ok 2 more) time and it seems to be fixed. From what I can tell the aforementioned shell stop piece was sloppy loose. I pulled it out and it seems simple enough with a shape to it so that the retaining screw makes a pivot point and the bolt pushes down on it and brings the shell stop up in the front when the slide comes back to hold the next shell in the feed tube. Then when it slides forward it hits another raised area and pushes the piece back down so the next shell pushes out and sits against the lifter. I don't see any spring to keep it in one position or the other but the part looked bowed so it stuck out from the side. I manually (gently) bent it the other way so that when the retaining screw was reinstalled it had some tension to keep it pressed against the side of the receiver. It seems very solid now and feeds flawlessly. Only problem now is that it has less than spectacular ejection. I imagine spent shells would go ok but it is struggling with heavier live ones. I have a feeling that a good cleaning and some oil will solve that one as it hasn't had either in over a decade!

She won't win any beauty contests but one day she will probably find a fine home over a cabin door!

Thanks again for the assistance!