Thread: Grouse decimation

Default Grouse decimation

Being my first post, I joined this site out of pure frustration. Over the past 4 years Ive seen almost every good spot for grouse get decimated. A certian "Group" of people seem to be patrolling the areas almost every day shooting entire broods out. All the people I meet in these areas say the same thing. They have seen nothing but the car loads of them patrolling since opening day. DNR guy didnt want to go into detail but said pretty much the same thing.

It frustrates me because they leave nothing. Ive taken my kids out several times only to fine 1 or none in large areas that used to be abundant with them.

Anyone else just as frustrated? Is there anything we can do other than petition the game board to lower limits?

The only thing that I can say is that I understand your frustration. Having seen endless groups of grouse getting shot up bad here on the Kenai has made me frustrated too. That being said, I took a lot of the advice that I've heard on the forum here to heart and spent the weekend hiking hard and checking out new spots. I found a good number of birds that I could have harvested, but I passed because I was out moose hunting. I wasn't far from places that I thought were over harvested, and I found plenty of birds. We can't stop other people from following regulations and legally harvesting large numbers of birds, but we can sure get out and walk and find harder to get to animals and enjoy nice days in the woods as a result.

Let them have the easy ones. You know they wont get out of their cars to venture into the woods very far. the sooner they take the stupid ones and leave the sooner we can get back to the hunt without worrying about coming around a corner and getting shot at.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

yea you guys are right. My boys are getting old enough to start walking the trails. Now I just have to find some new places.

Yeah I have seen the Peninsula get overrun sometimes with Grouse hunters. Many of whom do not follow all the rules and often shoot from the roadways. I have always kicked them off the road and followed them.Thats how I was taught to do it and thats how I teach others.
    I have a friend who is 80% disabled and has trouble hiking long distances. He loves to take his 10 year old son out for some hunting but those longer hikes that don't hardly bother me oftentimes are hell on him. Last time I went hike in hunting with him and his son and nephew we walked 2-3 miles and afterward I thought I might have had to take him to the hospital.
    Anyway it is a shame more people who are able don't do the hikes but just drive the roads. but not all road hunters are able to hike in any distance even if they don't have a wheelchair.
    Last year I found some good hunting hiking some shorter trails 1-2 miles in length after getting tired of all the road traffic and me and my fiancees 11 year old saw only one bird off the road. We saw 6-8 birds on one trail that was only 1.5 miles long.
    If the kid would have shot better we could have had an even better day but it was fun anyways. And we didn't see one other hunter on the trails. This year he is shooting a lot better and with a little more range time he will do good I am sure.
    The only thing we can do with the certain "Group" of people is keep an eye on them when we see them and keep a camera , notepad/pen,and cellphone handy and notify the troopers when we see things that aren't right.
    Although it seems when I see violators shoot from the road the cell phone never has coverage and I am always reluctant to confront a bunch of armed idiots.
    Last edited by kasilofchrisn; 09-11-2011 at 18:45. Reason: spelling
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by AKmuscle49 View Post
    Being my first post, I joined this site out of pure frustration. Over the past 4 years Ive seen almost every good spot for grouse get decimated. A certian "Group" of people seem to be patrolling the areas almost every day shooting entire broods out. All the people I meet in these areas say the same thing. They have seen nothing but the car loads of them patrolling since opening day. DNR guy didnt want to go into detail but said pretty much the same thing.

It frustrates me because they leave nothing. Ive taken my kids out several times only to fine 1 or none in large areas that used to be abundant with them.

Anyone else just as frustrated? Is there anything we can do other than petition the game board to lower limits?
    Read the Season Dates thread. The discussion brought up some interesting points, but no solutions. Worth the cautionary pov though. Still...this isn't going away.

The "group" is frustrating. A camera taking dated pictures(s) of the "groups", cars, license plates, handoff cars, camps with generators & freezers etc. the whole bit. There is more than a love of shooting your own meat going on here imo.

are the certain "groups" asians? IF so there was a huge thread on this last year.

edit: here is the thread... its a good one.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ghlight=asians

Quote Originally Posted by AKmuscle49 View Post

As someone suggested, check out the other thread, about all it takes to get back into spruce grouse is 1/4 to 1/2 mile off the road. IMO road hunting isn't hunting but the 1/4 mile from the road rule for taking game has been prosposed many times to no avail. The reality is, road hunters have no affect on the overall health of the game bird population and thus, opportunity is formost in the management issue. Yes there are people, not hunters, who shoot them on the road and disrespect a truely fabulous game bird but the majority seems to not feel that way and it isn't likley to change anytime soon. Spruce grouse have a relatively small home range of about 15 acres, get out past that from the road and you will find birds.

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    As someone suggested, check out the other thread, about all it takes to get back into spruce grouse is 1/4 to 1/2 mile off the road.
    I totally agree, I know it seems counter intuitive but I walk my dogs in an area that gets hit very hard and I still manage to find a few birds each trip (keep going there cause its close to home) just by getting off the trail, so the counter intuitive part is:

Let them road hunt and hope they don't stop, that way we only have to go 1/4 mile off the road, if they actually had to get off the road and hunt we'd be going 1/2 mile or more to find the birds...

dont get too worried, theyer still out there.
    saw 5 this morning on clark-wolverine lazy mountain area on my way to school.
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    dont get too worried, theyer still out there.
    saw 5 this morning on clark-wolverine lazy mountain area on my way to school.
    I'm glad you've reappeared Joefish. Where have you been? Catch any fish this summer?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

actualy, my life is haveing some very big changes.
    i dont live at home anymore. i am in a rtc (residential treatment center)in palmer.
    for behavioral issues.ive been in treatment since may 13th. i havent been in the outdoors in awhile. times are tough but hopefully in january i will get out and hunt and fish agian. its really tough being away from home and the outdoors i love. i only ever get computer accses at school (palmer high). even if your not religios, please pray for a fellow outdoorsman who has been taken away from his true love....
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

actualy, my life is haveing some very big changes.
    i dont live at home anymore. i am in a rtc (residential treatment center)in palmer.
    for behavioral issues.ive been in treatment since may 13th. i havent been in the outdoors in awhile. times are tough but hopefully in january i will get out and hunt and fish agian. its really tough being away from home and the outdoors i love. i only ever get computer accses at school (palmer high). even if your not religios, please pray for a fellow outdoorsman who has been taken away from his true love....
    Sorry to hear that Joe. I very much enjoyed your posts on trapping and pred hunting last year. They were an encouragement to an old duffer like me. Yes, I would be pleased to pray for you that things will work out in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Sorry to hear that Joe. I very much enjoyed your posts on trapping and pred hunting last year. They were an encouragement to an old duffer like me. Yes, I would be pleased to pray for you that things will work out in your life.
    Me too, Joe. I'll pray too that things will work out. Hang in there Bub, this too will pass. We'll wait for you....

even if your not religios
    I'm not.

please pray for a fellow outdoorsman who has been taken away from his true love....
    But I absolutely WILL!

“Now I see the secret of making the best person: it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.”
    Walt Whitman
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Joefish,

My wife says I have behavioral issues as well! You hang in there, and come back here as often as you can. Between all of us we can probably offer some pretty good counseling.

Keep your chin up. Life is good - very good!

Jim

Joe,

I don't know the proper terminology for the process you are currently in and I mean no disrespect with this question...

Do they let you "out" with a chaperone or something of that sort? I'm probably going to go down to Pt. Mackenzie this weekend for that Ruffed Grouse Society shoot (too cheap to buy birds but I'll take in the sights). If I could sign some voucher or something I'd be happy to bring you along and we can go look at birds and dogs.

PM me if you get to this before the end of school today.

On another note, the mountains aren't going anywhere. Take the time you need to concentrate on you and then come back into it full force. Do you have a copy of Sand County Almanac? I have a couple and I'd be happy to drop one by for you. As you know, Aldo Leopold is a great storyteller and you can walk the woods and prairies of Wisconsin and elsewhere with him this fall/winter.
    Go Big Red!

Don't worry Joe, I was always told I didn't play well with others either.

Remember dude, you don't have to fit in at school, you fit in just fine around here. We're with ya bud.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

thanks everyone for all the support!
    it looks like i should be out of there and discharged in january....
    just in time for some predator hunting!