Thread: When to find a new hunting area?

Default When to find a new hunting area?

How many unsucessful trips into an area untill you give up on it? i am new to hunting around the mat-sue area, last year i looked on google and found some spots that looked promising. last year i went out and scouted the area, of course there were signs that people had hunted there before but there were no fresh camping sign. the two camps i saw hadnt been used for a few years it looked like. while scouting there were some signs that moose had been through the area but i didnt see any moose nor did i see any brush or trees that had been scraped. this year i went back one camp was occupied so i didnt go there. the other place was empty so i went out and did a little calling. i saw signs that moose had been there but i still didnt see any moose. i am about ready to give up and find some place elese. if i had seen a cow or two i would be more confident that this area would a bull. have i given this area a fair chance or should i move on? i read on here a few years ago some went to the same hunting camp for 5 or 6 years and never saw a moose, to me that is a good area for drinking and camping not hunting.

You and I will never stop looking for a better spot. But will always hunt the best spot we know. So keep looking there is alot more time to look then hunt.

Unless your fortunate enough to do a few recon trips into an area, and know for a fact it holds moose- you just never know. The MatSuarea does have several areas that hold moose every fall, even once the bulls have been cleared out- each fall new ones return. I know 3 spots that regularly house just spike/forks with many cows in the area. I know they are there- but they seem to know the regs as well as I do.

Its a big Alaska, and you should easily move on till you find what your looking for.

Once you do Find what you want then you gotta put your feet on the ground and do some learning, memorizing and perfecting, like high school.....it takes a few years.

Go and scout some beautiful country and return to it at every chance, all year round . Once you settle on a roughly 50X50 sq mile area, get to it.
    Knowing your "Grounds" is as important as knowing a potential Wife, 'cause you may spend the rest your life around it, and you need to know the potential and the pitfalls, so as to be safe and happy till Death do you go....
    Knowing the flats, hills, tops, bottoms and every bush is important and makes your hunting easier over time, as well, you will know more resources than animals, berries, fire wood, fish and such, so you best be getting back to those places you like.as you will know what anmals call this Home and which ones just pass through.

Animals move, Populations rise and fall, seasons change, but Lay of the land does not.

Learn your "Hunting Grounds" and thats the Key.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Yep, keep looking. That's why they call it hunting, instead of "finding" or "harvesting".

I think Stranger said it well. No matter what game I have hunted I figure it takes me about 3 seasons to learn an area well and be much more successful. How to enter an area queitly, as scent free as possible, and know the habits of the game takes time - usually several mistakes have to be made to learn what it takes. I am always scouting new area's even when hunting reliable spots...
    Good luck!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Nobody there...sounds like a GREAT place. Getting an animal is just a bonus.

Not all "that seem" to be good are. And not all that seem crappy are. However, it only takes 1 minute of a week of hunting to make for a successful trip. Give it time, put in your effort...and you'll be rewarded.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!