Thread: Quartz Creek still any good? Beads?

Default Quartz Creek still any good? Beads?

The summer has been a wild one but company is gone & it looks like I may FINALLY have a day or two to try & catch a fish, maybe even tomorrow (Monday)!
    Was wondering if Quartz Creek is still any good for dollies & rainbows? Are beads still the ticket? If so any particular size or color right now?
    I am still very much a rookie fly fisherman & have only fished beads once (maybe 1-2 hrs) & that was last yr on Quartz, witrh no hits. If you had only one tip to give a guy trying to learn to fish beads on Quartz what would it be (constructive please.)?

Thanks guys.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

8mm, dead roe.

Spent the day on Quartz Sat. Power lines down passed campground. Conditions were marginal, the water was off color and high ,making crossings more difficult and sight fishing was more or less out of the question. We (two of us) did not see a single dolly.No silvers spotted and only about 2-3 dozen reds left in that stretch or at least that all was seen.A few rainbows made appearances but we were humbled by the limited success we experienced. Maybe others had more success than us, but I doubt it. I would seek out other waters to fish I could get out again today.

My husband and I also fished it Sat. and had zero luck. Also, no dollies spotted and only a handful of reds.
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

once the reds are gone it shuts down pretty fast...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Try fishing some sz 14 October caddis and Mahogany Duns... maybe even skate a mouse pattern - that's always fun!Or, if you wanted to actually catch something, you could go above the Sterling Hwy Bridge (behind the substation) where the reds are staging and toss some 6mil beads, natural roe and washed pink... or try some flesh flies. This section of Quartz is closed to all fishing after 9/14 to allow spawning sockeyes and dollies a sactuary of sorts... the reds are not "gone", they just moved upstream; dollies and rainbows will follow.good luck!

*** is a sz 14 october caddis? october caddis are like size 6...

and yes dollies do take dry flies...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.