Thread: Ithica Model 49 is sick

Default Ithica Model 49 is sick

I have a Ithica Model 49 single shot lever action .22 rifle that my grandfather gave me years ago. It always had a bad ejector and never kicked shells out. I took it to a gunsmith a few years ago and he claimed it was fixed but I don't think touched it. Does anyone know a good gunsmith that can work on this rifle? I am not worried about the cost of repairs being more than value because in my hands it is an invaluable gift that I want to hand down to my son.<BR>Thanks

It may be a difficult fix as the ejector on the M-49 is notoriously poor. Plus the fact that the firing pin may have damaged the end of the chamber from striking it. To work on this requires un pinning the barrel. Most smiths will turn down this job, as they don't want to spend hours working on something that may not be able to be fixed. To be truthful, the ejector is a poor design, and you are lucky to get it to work at all. If you can find someone to work on it, best wishes.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Not what I wanted to hear but I appreciate the honesty. The ejector is definatly worn out. You can see the metal splayed. Other than that it shoots great. I will call around and if no takers I guess I need to build a fire place to hang it above... Thanks

we always look at them for folks, just did one the other day, sucessfully I may add. Bring it by

I've got a 49 and had the same problem. I took a gunsmith class at the local community college (no, it didn't make me a gunsmith!) and I had the instuctor help me with mine. He had a "new" ejector that we installed; it looked better, but still wouldn't work. We took out the "new" ejector and found out the hole was worn so the ejector wasn't centered and supported. We set the ejector such that we could smack it and make it slightly curved so it fit tighter in the hole. A bit of grease and it works again.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have a couple of model 49’s now, and they aren’t all that hard to work on if you are patient. Pretty simple little guns. You might be able to find parts at Numrich (gun parts finder) or maybe even e-bay or gunbroker. As a last resort, you might even be able to find a replacement or donor model 49 at a gun show. Last one I picked up was $75

LeonardC has a good idea… and the receivers on these little guns are made from aluminum or some pot metal I think, so it would figure that the hole would wear before the ejector…
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Thanks guys, nice to hear there is hope for the little plinker...