Thread: New, DOA Mud Buddy: any suggestions?

Default New, DOA Mud Buddy: any suggestions?

Just hooked up a new Mud Buddy and only get a "click" when I hit the key. Battery is BAN and therefore should be charged; charger says it is (but chargers sometimes lie). I'm leaving the charger on 2 Amps all night, and will start looking around w/ the volt meter tomorrow. In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions as to where I might look (esp if specific to MBuddies), please post, or hit me up below. We could find no unattached wires, etc, in a quick visual/tactile inspection. Thanks. john 347-5469 or jolinak@gci.net

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    Just hooked up a new Mud Buddy
    Don't know about MB issues, but if in a car, that would mean a solenoid failure.

On my MB I could only start it in certain positions/angles, and I talked w/MD and they had me disconnect one wire and no issues after that. But mine is a pull start and only a 6hp on a canoe. If yours is brand new I would hope they ran it for you at the shop/ so hopefully it is not a solenoid. If it has a pull start try that and see if you can get it running. Or jump it off your truck/car to ensure it is not bad battery. Good luck and if you are in anchorage and need a extra set of eyes or have any questions just ask.

A volt / resistance meter, an a good eye should tell you what is wrong, the eng is not a a computer like a car it is a small air cool eng
    good luck tell us what you findout HOPE IT IS AS SIMPUL AS A BATT.

Thanks for replies. I will dig in w/ the volt meter this morning. j

Just hooked up a new Mud Buddy and only get a "click" when I hit the key. Battery is BAN and therefore should be charged; charger says it is (but chargers sometimes lie). I'm leaving the charger on 2 Amps all night, and will start looking around w/ the volt meter tomorrow. In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions as to where I might look (esp if specific to MBuddies), please post, or hit me up below. We could find no unattached wires, etc, in a quick visual/tactile inspection. Thanks. john 347-5469 or jolinak@gci.net
    Don't know on a mud buddy but my go devil has a mercury switch that requires the unit to be completly level before it will start.

Hey jklingel ...

I've just completed installing a new MBMini23 on my Hudson Bay. Will start it up for the first time this afternoon. And then I have to learn how to drive this thing before I head out into the Bushes.

A call to Clint at MB might give you a solution. And, locally, Rod's Saw Shop is the Vanguard service center. Further, the Mud Buddy Forums are monitored by Glenn, the owner-founder of MB. If you post this issue on that forum, he'll probably be the one to answer your problem. Try this link:

http://www.mudbuddy.com/forum/forum.php

Hope its something simple. Glad you've found enough time to mate the MB to your canoe.

I have both the 11X10 and 12.25 props. I'm told that the "Big Blade" 12.25" prop will add a bit of power and speed over the smaller prop. Be interesting to compare.

Let us know what you find out.

Rick

Mr. Klingel, The Alaskan Canoe Lift Man.

Are you giving up on canoe lifts and taking up surface drives. Going over to the other camp?

Zack

"Rod's Saw Shop is the Vanguard service center." Thanks. I was going to call them to see if they had a solenoid. I shorted across mine w/ a screw driver and it fired right up. Should have thought of that last night, but did not think to till it was suggested above. Now to build something to support the motor hanging off the back of the trailer. j

Zack: Yes.

Zack: Yes.
    Gonna be just me and Sid before long.

That Copper Head 6.5 looks pretty good. There might be a surface drive in my future next spring. I was hoping someone would put one on a 19' Grumman or a 17' Osagian Cargo and I could get a free evaluation.

I've approached the motor-transom-trailering stress from a slightly different angle, for now at least. I've positioned my bunks as far to the rear of the canoe as can be had ... right at the beginning of the stern upsweep. And I have machined a 3" X 18" X 1/2" piece of 6061T6, with recesses for the motor's machine screws, and epoxied it to the inside of the transom. Of course, the thru bolts also clamp-anchor the aluminum solidly. My idea is to spread the stress of the motor's weight from the bolt holes to the stiffened-reinforced transom. I still intend to add some kind of motor support to my trailer, but I won't have time before I head out for moose. After that trip, I want to add some feature similar to kandik's ... would certainly like to see what you come up with.

Glad to hear your MB is running.

Rick

Default I diagnosed a motor problem? Holy Moly.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Don't know about MB issues, but if in a car, that would mean a solenoid failure.
    "Rod's Saw Shop is the Vanguard service center." Thanks. I was going to call them to see if they had a solenoid. I shorted across mine w/ a screw driver and it fired right up. Should have thought of that last night, but did not think to till it was suggested above. Now to build something to support the motor hanging off the back of the trailer. j
    If you knew how little I know about motors you'd be as shocked as I currently am that I correctly diagnosed your failure. Wow.

Just dumb luck though. I remember hitting the key on my '69 camaro and just hearing that "click", and then a guy telling me that meant bad solenoid. He told me to get underneath it and tap the solenoid with a hammer, and so I did, and sure enough it came back to life; just sticky I guess.

A dead spot in a starter will do the same thing.