Thread: Trekking Poles

Default Trekking Poles

I thought I remembering seeing a thread on this topic, but I have been unable to find it (probably my lack of computer skills.)

I am accompanying a fellow forum member on a draw goat hunt on Kodiak next month and I am looking for what people's opinions are on brands of trekking poles. I currently have one from Cabela's, but even my novice use of trekking poles can tell they probably are not the most durable as they feel as if they will kink if flexed more than an inch or so. Thanks!

I like my Black Damond flick locks. IMHO the non-circular poles are a bit more rigid

I have Lekis and like them. I have the twist locks which have a much larger surface area contact on the locking mechanism, supposedly better than the old system. Seem pretty tough and are awesome side hilling and crossing streams.

I TKO'd a set of Black Diamond flicklocks this year. They had the round tubing...the elliptical may be stronger.

IMHO avoid the twist lock design. They tend to "unlock" at inopportune moments. The flick locks are a better option for me.

Black Diamond poles with the flicklock. I used to use twist lock Leki's a few years ago, gave up on them.

I'm going to suggest a Black Diamond Whippet. If you have the funds, buy a set of BD poles and a BD Whippet. Take the Whippet as one of the two poles.

http://www.backcountry.com/black-dia...rrest-ski-pole

Last October on Kodiak, I slipped on steep alpine grass and went sliding. I stopped myself by grabbing a hold of some grass with my left hand, and because I was going pretty fast, when I stopped I dislocated my left shoulder. I had a Whippet at the time, but it was in my garage at home. I thought about taking it and didn't. Ak_lanche's wife slipped, slid, and broke her leg on Kodiak several days later. So I was lucky.

Some will advocate a simple mountaineering ax. A family member and I each took whippets and another pole to the Brooks Range for 14 days this summer and it didn't get in the way or anything.

Good luck in your selection.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger15 View Post
    I thought I remembering seeing a thread on this topic, but I have been unable to find it (probably my lack of computer skills.)
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...trekking+poles Try this link...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Roger45 - thanks for the finding thread, I really do appreciate it.

And, thanks to everyone for your advice and first hand account with your experiences! I was leaning towards the black diamond models and this helps to confirm it, especially when you want to make sure you are getting good, reliable, quality equipment for your money! Thanks!!

I would recommend Black Diamond trekking poles with their Flick Lock mechanism system. They are very easy to use and easily adjustable.The Alpine Carbon Cork usually gets more spotlights for a few good reasons. Comprehensive reviews are here-
    http://www.trekkingpolesguide.com/pr.../Black-Diamond

If you are interested in taking a look at other BD products, this collects every BD trekking pole from those most popular outdoor gear websites with up to date price comparison. Hope it can save you some time shopping.
    http://www.trekkingpolesguide.com/pr...lack%20Diamond

Posted on this before recently.
    I have three sets right now...Life-link, Leki and Black Diamond Carbon flick-lock.
    Life-links are U.S.A. made.
    All great poles, but the B.D. are my least favorite. After using the spring-loaded poles they just aren't as comfortable.
    I screwed around on a recent hunt and used one BD in my left hand and one Leki in my right, and my left wrist ached after six miles of hiking. The anti-shock flat out works.

Also the B.D.'s when fully collapsed are still very long. To really compact them is impossible, and to shorten them for extreme sidehilling (on the high side) is also a no-go. My 5'1" wife can't use them, they are too long unless I hacksaw the inner pole.
    They are light and a decent pole with the convenient flick-lock, but far from perfect.
    I got mine for a great price from a member here.

My Makulu Leki's are favorites...10 years old and beaten, but still functioning perfecto...

Proud to be an American!