Thread: Blueberries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Blueberries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys! I'm looking for blueberries!!!! Has anyone had any luck in Turnagain Pass Willow/Hatchers Pass? Anywhere else not too far from the Valley? Whittier or Girdwood?? HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRaePearson View Post
    Hey guys! I'm looking for blueberries!!!! Has anyone had any luck in Turnagain Pass Willow/Hatchers Pass? Anywhere else not too far from the Valley? Whittier or Girdwood?? HELP!
    I think this is the third or fourth post looking for blueberries this year.
    Sorry but I don't suppose people this year are going to give up much in the way of berry picking spots. Especially the way the moths have ruined many a local berry patch for a lot of people in southcentral.
    While your at it why not ask for the coordinates to my favorite fishing spots for halibut and salmon.
    While I won't divulge the spot we picked over 5 gallons of highbush in the first week of August this year across the bay from Homer.
    If you read some of the other threads you will see it has been sparse but maybe you can gleam a few areas to look by reading those threads.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

If you're willing to drive to Turnagain Pass from the Valley, try heading the opposite direction instead. Head towards Gunsight Mountain or Eureka. That should be a far better bet.

There are lots of berries in Hatchers Pass or at least there were. The area I pick was already getting pretty well cleaned over a couple of weeks ago. Then again it is one of the busiest areas. I picked a few gallons from there and then took a trip up to the Denali Highway. You could pick for days up there and never run out of berries. Blueberries were already getting just past their prime up there two weekends ago. I was at Artic Valley hiking last month and saw almost nothing for berries in that area. I haven't been up to blueberry knoll this year but have seen lots there in the past.

None of these areas are secret spots...they well know and well publicized locations. Just get out in the area and do a bit of scouting to find your own favorite patch.

As for cranberries. I picked a gallon or so from by patch of high-bush cranberries last week. I juiced and canned then up but prefer the low-bush variety for jams, relish, and eating fresh. I've been keeping my eye on a patch I found last fall. Just need a frost for them to be ready. But those patches are too small and in too easily accessible locations to share with anyone else. I'm actually surprised that I've never seen anyone else picking the one patch. I have good friends I won't even tell where they are. You'll just have to do what I did to find them...get out and wonder around.