Thread: 2nd weekend of season report

Default 2nd weekend of season report

I hunted the south end of dl today, little shooting over the lake, we only had quick shots at 2 flyby's. Next time I will try the middle of the lake, I had hoped some ducks would be sent our way.

Wanted to ask any who hunted the Jim Creek lakes today how the hunting was today, are there any birds around up there. May head up there for tomorrow, thinking specifically of Swan. Any updates would be helpful. Bud
    Wasilla

was that you that re located about 8? And picked up my widgeon and kept it?! I hope it wasn't. Its a sad day when people steal ducks from others.

how far away was this widgeon from you when it was dead?
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

....and why wasn't the widge in question retrieved. Where I hunt, if downed birds aren't collected promptly, the raptors get em. Why
    didn't you collect your bird griffen?

60 yards tops. sailed him a little but we had a good number of birds flying so I held the dog off cause i could see it stone dead on the water. then a boat heads my way and I assume they are done for the day. then they motor up to the bird and grab it. At this point i still think there is no way they are taking and assume they are just being nice and bringing it to me. but nope they motor right on by dispite me yelling at them and standing up waving my arms. sad day for waterfowling, I could care less about the duck its just the point that they clearly stole a bird. BTW for the record I in no way think it was AKblackdog. they had a choc lab lol

Quote Originally Posted by akdodger View Post
    ....and why wasn't the widge in question retrieved. Where I hunt, if downed birds aren't collected promptly, the raptors get em. Why
    didn't you collect your bird griffen?
    where i hunt thats not an issue and I had a clear view of the bird and was close enough to warn off any raptors. we are not talking all day here we are talking 15-20 minutes

Might have been since he did not reply..lol

I will ask my buddy there in the morning who came through with a Choc Lab..he will give them a stern welcome next time they cross...If I see a choc lab tomorrow I will ask them as well.

As far as letting the birds lay out there stone dead..as long as you keep track and pick them all up...no biggie...waterfowlers have been doing this for years. I will run a cripple to texas though..if needed, and agree all effort should be given to find them..as well as count them toward your bag limit. Lot of waterfowlers dont..bad ethics. With youngsters out there..they need to know this from the start..says alot to veterns as well when hunting together... says alot about what kind of hunter you are.

I do disagree with not letting the dog go though..if you have him..let him go get it.. I have hunted with dogs for over 20 years and have very..very seldom had a dog swiming around picking up ducks scare others away from the spread.

To each their own I guess.
    DH

See you there if your going.
    DH
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

DH01,
    in hindsight i should have let him go. He had a good mark but he is still young and I made the mistake of not trusting him like i should have. Live and learn. Coulda used you out there this morning. birds got really rafted up and didn't move. I'll see ya in the morning.
    Griff

No Grif, it wasn't me. No offense taken either. I was at the far south end, near the wood blind that has been there for several years until F&G tore it down this past summer. And yes, my dog is black, however my wife has a golden ret. Another thing. I am not interested in others ducks at all. If I could, I would give all mine away, but I do eat the ones I don't give away, just not crazy about eating duck, though I have had some that were prepared and made a delicious meal. However, years ago, on potholes in WA state hunting, I came along in my boat as a blind knocked down a duck that glided 3-400 yds away. lots of people in the blind that was shooting. I picked up the duck and was heading over to give it to them, and they were yelling their fool heads off at me. Then i saw the head of their dog. They had already sent their dog and wanted the dog to pick it up, so I threw it back in for the dog, who handled perfectly and made a clean retrieve. Thats when I found out how nice it is to have a trained retriever, and that it doubles the enjoyment of a morning in the marsh. Bud
    Wasilla

Duck lake was pretty dead after the first half hour or so. The east end on the knik side is getting crowded with guys coming over from the rabbit slough side.

Put duckslayer56 on a limit, me and a buddy picked up two more. Great day on the marsh. Enjoyed the company.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I definetly want to go back and see if I can get one of those full color canvasbacks you were talking about getting last year. I will have to go get small boat and outboard so I can get a shot at them. Thanks again DH01, I had a great time, and met some very nice people.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!