Thread: Track System for Polaris Ranger 6x6

Default Track System for Polaris Ranger 6x6

I just bought a 2012 Ranger 6x6 based mostly on the input of guys that own them on this forum. I am from Utah, but I have traveled to Alaska 7 different times for fishing trips and would like to think of Alaska as my home away from home. I know you guys are REAL users of your machines in some of the toughest conditions on earth.

I am having a hard time figuring out what type of track set up you can put on on these with the IRS. I have heard that you can track them up like you would a 4x4 and just use the rear and front tires for the track.

Do any of you guys know what the deal is?

BTW, I sold my 4th Argo to get this machine. I loved the argos, but I need more room and I am looking forward to the suspension in the rocky areas we have here in the rockies.

Thanks.

I know of no tracks that will work, but I haven't been looking, either. I use mine in some rough terrain and so far I have found no place it can't go that didn't absolutely need an Argo, airplane or boat to access. I have a 2011 model and absolutely love it. I have found no 4 wheeler trail I can't operate on, but if there is one, I will just go around. One trail was touted to be only accessable by 4 wheeler and no side by side would dare to try it. I did and got through it better and quicker than the 5 4 wheelers I was traveling with. Not to mention I had to tow 2 of them (both Honda's) through parts of this trail.

With my experience so far, if I want to access areas only an Argo can, I need to get an Argo. I have Mud Lite radials and recommend anyone contemplating buying one of these to upgrade to a more agressive tire that the 489 stock tires. I have a friend that has a 2010 with stock tires and he does a lot more riding than I do. He has little problem with them, but I have easily spun through spots he struggled to get through.

Too many places in this vast land that I can access without an Argo. I have some friends with Argo's. They are a maintenance nightmare from everyone I know that has them. One is a 2008, one is a 2010 and one is an older model. Every one of them is very impressed with the capabilities of my 6x6. One is selling his (2008) Argo to buy a 2012 6x6, he is so impressed.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

It seems that the only one that has been able to make it work, is the The Tracks Company, Christian S. Hansen, and they are metal on the rear, with a discontinued AD Boivin Traxion +, (rubber) on the front. Some thing to do with the the size of the front drive and the proper tire pressure in the stock (rear) tires (2007) allowing for the right amount of slippage for the rear tires to the metal tracks, (needs spaces for width clearence). Christian claim's they will work on the IRS. (NEW) as well.

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    ... I am having a hard time figuring out what type of track set up you can put on on these with the IRS. I have heard that you can track them up like you would a 4x4 and just use the rear and front tires for the track. ...
    I have no idea if this would work, but wouldn't you want to just track the rear two tires together on each side--kind of like the halftracks in Kelly's Heroes?

Yes this would work, untill you track the front end, then apperently it is all about the timing. Tracking just the rear is not a problem having all 6 wheels tracked and engaged is.???? Why I do not know, I have been in contact with a operator of a 1999 PR 6X6 that tried to install a set of the original rubber tracks that Polaris had for their earlyier Big Boss 6X6, and had a slipping proble on the rear until he disconnected the center wheel drive and installed a smaller diameter wheel on the rear, to match the drive on the front, to make it work with the now discotinued A D Boivin Traxion Plus Tracks. But then he only had a tracked 4 wheel drive system, with more track on the ground, but that was reaily all he needed to work for his needs.This has been working for years with out any problems. If you contack Christian S Hansen, The Tracks Company, Oakland, CA, USA. he can explain it to you. 510-601-7550, as he designed these melal tracks. I have offered to send coppies of the information & instructions that I received with my set, by PM'S but the administraters of this SITE have refused to let me do so.??? I need email addresses to send info and for some reason, not nowen to me, some members again on this site have tried sending me PM'S and non were received, so no information sent as I will not post my email address on any Open Forums.
    Bruce.