Thread: Putting together rig for small halibut

Default Putting together rig for small halibut

Not that I wouldn't like to see a big one, but I'll be fishing from a kayak in an area of PWS which apparently is known for halibut around 20 pounds.

I've got a fairly heavy saltwater spinning reel strung with braided mono that I have used (trolling for tarpon) on a medium heavy 3-piece travel rod (Offshore angler XPS brand or something like that).

Does that sound right? What kind of terminal tackle would go with it -- heavy monofilament? Should I lose the braided line and use all mono?

Any and all tips will be much appreciated. It seems like a lot of the available information assumes you're targeting the really big boys, which I won't be.

Default Catching chickens...

Twenty pound mono with a lose drag will handle them. Tie on a small rubber jig and have at 'em. It's easy and fun, but you may be surpised when the larger cousin shows up...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Hey Luckee

Drop me a PM on here, would love to chat with you about yak fishing. I am originally from California and we used to go out and fish for CA halibut all the time (where 40-50 lbs was a huge fish). I have been up here three years now and haven't gotten my yak out on the water yet, but am hoping to this summer.

Default Something to keep in mind . . .

Most places out in PWS are very deep. With that in mind, you won't be limited so much on your rod type, but more on your reel capacity.

In your shoes, I would definitely go with braided line as you will be able to store much more of it in your reel. Additionally, because you are basically fishing straight down, the braided line allows you more sensitivity to 'feel' what's going on down there. If you feel like you need 10 or 20 yards of mono on the terminal end go for it. But, if it was me, I would use braided line for the majority of my line.

-- Gamber

Just remember halibut are teethy critters, and hence I'd want at least 80# mono as my leader, I personally use 300# mono and corkscrew swivels as it takes alot of abuse and allows quick changes of terminal tackle.

The advantage of lighter braided lines is you can get down deep with fairly light jigs. I'd say a selection of leadheads, cripled herring and diamond jigs in the 3-8 oz range will suite you well. You'll also be set up for rock fish and salmon.

My question would be, from a kayak, you will you be able to effectively jig if you don't have a somewhat shorter stiffer rod. If most of your motion is merely flexing the rod, you won't get anywhere fast. Mono has two downsides, it is large in dia and hence needs heavier jigs, and it is stretchy, which requires alot of rod movement at greater depths. I'd go with 20-30# braided, just make sure you properly load your real so it doesn't dig in on itself.

Default Thanks for great information

Those are all super helpful comments, thanks guys.

Considering the depth, the teeth, and the limitations of a kayak, I'm thinking:

-- medium heavy spinning reel loaded with braided mono

-- a stiffer rod to handle the heavy jigs in 3 to 8 ounces

-- some big game mono at 80# on the end

Sounds like the albright knot is going to come in handy

I like the idea that jigs will work. I'd been thinking of saving salmon bellies and parts to drift near the bottom. Is there any reason to think that would be a lot more effective, or are bait and jigs about equal?