Thread: Remote property with no water access, need advice on utility ATV

Default Remote property with no water access, need advice on utility ATV

Hello all, I have a remote property that I need to cut an access trail to tie into a winter access trail. The trip will be about 25 miles by ATV trail to access my land. This route is a bit longer than winter access because you have to go around dozens of semi-tundra/boggy areas and small lakes. The going is quite mucky and I'd like to purchase a 6x6 this spring (if I make enough money this winter). I noticed that Polaris has redesigned the Sportsman 6x6 and was considering this model with a Utility trailer. My remote lake front property may soon be my home so ATV/Snowmachine may be my main mode of transportation. All heavy loads will be hauled in the winter with a widetrack. Spring/summer/fall loads will be less weight (food/fuel). Any opinions on this model?

Nothing better in the ATV market for what you want to do. They are proud of them though and a few K more will get you into a ranger 6x6. If a ranger will do your trail it will haul you plus the kid and significant other in comfort.They haul an awful lot in the bed or a stupid amount between the bed and a trailer!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Hello all, I have a remote property that I need to cut an access trail to tie into a winter access trail. The trip will be about 25 miles by ATV trail to access my land. This route is a bit longer than winter access because you have to go around dozens of semi-tundra/boggy areas and small lakes. The going is quite mucky and I'd like to purchase a 6x6 this spring (if I make enough money this winter). I noticed that Polaris has redesigned the Sportsman 6x6 and was considering this model with a Utility trailer. My remote lake front property may soon be my home so ATV/Snowmachine may be my main mode of transportation. All heavy loads will be hauled in the winter with a widetrack. Spring/summer/fall loads will be less weight (food/fuel). Any opinions on this model?
    Mainer-in-AK
    I have a similar situation, altho no where near the 25 mi that you have.. My "summer" trail was over a lot of open area.. and in wet weather impossible to negotiate with a 4x4 pulling a wagon full of supplies... A neighbor and I whacked out a summer trail this spring, through the dense timber and still there were 3 or 4 places that my 4x4 could not negotiate pulling a trailer... I don't have a winch on it, and have always used an old come-along and some small chain... Recently I spotted a used 6x6 for sale at a pretty fair price and I grabbed it... Had Larry Heater (deshka ldg) barge it out to a spot as close to my place as he could get, and I spent 3 days trying to get it stuck.. finally managed to get high centered in a wet meadow, but close enough to the trees that I was able to winch myself out and trying the new 2500 lb warn winch at the same time... IMHO having that little truck box over the drive wheels to carry the gear/supplies in, is 100% better than towing a trailer full of the same supplies... My only regret is that I waited so long to buy the 6x

Has anyone ever looked into a Hagglund for an operation like this. They're kind of pricey, but they seem like amazing machines for something like this...esp if the property becomes a full time deal...any thoughts? Do they ever get surplused at a cheaper cost?

What you really need, and most certainly will wish you had, is a float plane. 50 miles roundtrip across boggy wet ground is going to get old after 1 trip. It's one thing to do that on an annual hunting trip or just for fun on the weekend, but when it is a regular trip, it's going to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Nothing better in the ATV market for what you want to do. They are proud of them though and a few K more will get you into a ranger 6x6. If a ranger will do your trail it will haul you plus the kid and significant other in comfort.They haul an awful lot in the bed or a stupid amount between the bed and a trailer!
    I did take a look at that Ranger Model. It's a bit wider but since I don't usually hunt by ATV it wouldn't be too big of an issue to cut a trail that would handle that thing. Another issue is the price of one of those but it may be something I'll have to deal with if I want to get to my property during the non-winter months. A six wheel drive will definitely be a must have though. Maybe a couple older 6x6 polaris sportsman?

Not sure if this one has sold or not but you can't beat a weasel :-)

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/10_Tr...nting_Rig.html

Ive been real Happy with my 6x. It hauls alot, goes through muck great. the gas mileage it gets has been the only complaint of mine so far. I see ya mentioning getting the older 6 wheelers. Those are alot more maintanence then the new ones. Also, the new ones are in a whole different league in power and comfort.

If you didnt get a 6 wheeler, then Id look for a argo. probably find a good used conquest for about the price of a new 6x

I have been using the 6x6 since 1996. Bought a new one in 1998 and sold it this spring and bought a 2011 Big Boss 6x6. I have seen nothing you ride like a cow boy that can carry and tow a heavy load in the bush like they do. A 4-wheeler with big tires will do the soupy deep mud better as evidenced by the mud competition shows, they seem to float. But that's not what your doing so the 6x6 is what you want. I do wish the fuel tank was 8 gallons instead of being a little over 4 gallons. They also need a tough front bumper and I am ordering one from the "ATV Guru". I put a 3,000 lb. Warne winch on mine and carry a single part shiv and line. A 3,500 lb. winch may be better. I wish some one could figure out how to put tracks on the back four wheels. That and wheel spacers on the front with big and wide mud tires would really bring out the beast in the new Big Boss 6x6. For an ATV they are the work horse.

6 X 6 Polaris rocks. My wife rides around me when I get stuck on the 4 wheeler and pulls me out.
    They ride like a cadillac on the trails due to the long wheel base and easily climb hills that scare the heck out of ya.
    Plus, around the house they rock for handling chores.
    I doubt you will be dissappointed.
    BK

Hey BK, Have her start dragging down some of those trees on my property, like those that sit in my little flagged out parcel,LOL. I would be much beholden to her if she did that!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I have a fully loaded argo 750 EFI for sale nothing wrong with it that would allow you to haul loads over the swampy stuff without the need for a trail picking through the dry spots. Tracks canopy winch and all for 16,500. Bout what your going to pay for your 6x and has a larger cargo capacity as well as a dry warm ride can use it year round for the trip. made many swampy runs loaded down in petersville through exaclty what your saying you have to travel over.
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!

Whop,
    Once she gets started you might have a cleared lot!! I see you have a blowdowns I have been eyeing up....

Argonut- No doubt your machine is "more capable" in certian situations, but I have about 1/3 of the price you are asking for your argo invested in my wifes 6x6. Hers is loaded and we picked it up used w/200 miles on it for less than $6000-, there are deals out there if your willing to shop a bit. (It came w/winch, windshield, heated grips, $1000- in new tires, aftermarket shocks, and so on.

BK

just sold it any way like thenext day after i posted then went out of town.
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!