Thread: im starting think im unlucky...

Default im starting think im unlucky...

sense season open i haven't even seen a moose, ive hunted hard, lots of glassing and listening... and nothing im stumped. i know where im hunting moose are every where lots of fresh scat and tracks. right at sunset i glassed from a really nice bluff and on my way out track were covering the trail that weren't there 20 minutes earlier. Is it possible that the moose are becoming nocturnal due to the recent hunting pressure" every one riding around on 4 wheelers and all? Or should i just pick up and hunt somewhere else?

I would start setting where you see the new tracks crossing your trail
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'm in the same boat as you... bad luck chuck. I am fortunate enough to have the means to buy a variety of food (since I can't harvest it) or I would get sick of fish fairly fast.

Pressure and the presence of bears will make them move out and/or bed down longer during the day. Chances are if resident moose who spend rut in said area will have a daily routine that's clock work.

I went out two years in a row with my .500 because I wanted to use it. I saw tracks where the grass was slowly springing back up. The third year I took out the .375 and got one. Go figure. Just don't stop hunting.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

yeah im getting frustrated.... im off work till the 18th and im thinking about heading up the steese with about 15 gallons of gas food water and the essentials "copenhagen", and finding a trail and heading in and seeing where it takes me... i should have scouted better...

i would think as september progressed they would start moving around a little more... i just find it crazy that everything just shut down.

I'm with you, only sen a cow and calf all season, hunted hard every chance I get
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Remember, bad luck is not getting to hunt at all due to some circumstance. Keep it all in perspective. If you are out, not having fun, then I'll give you my address. I've got chores up the wazoo to get done. That includes scrubbing toilets. About the time you relax is the time you'll see something.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Remember, bad luck is not getting to hunt at all due to some circumstance. Keep it all in perspective. If you are out, not having fun, then I'll give you my address. I've got chores up the wazoo to get done. That includes scrubbing toilets. About the time you relax is the time you'll see something.
    ARR
    Dern straight ! Just think, you could have my luck. Smash your left hand, fracture a finger, smash the nerve in the finger, tear your shoulder and have surgery. Three weeks after surgery develope an abcessed tooth complete with infection and root canal, nasty antibiotics and the adnauseum they entail. Oh yeah... and get fired from the job you injured self at while working for them.

I still have several weeks of physical therapy ahead.

I would trade with you in an instant, I can't even go outside for a walk !

Stay persistant and enjoy your experience out there !

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Dern straight ! Just think, you could have my luck. Smash your left hand, fracture a finger, smash the nerve in the finger, tear your shoulder and have surgery. Three weeks after surgery develope an abcessed tooth complete with infection and root canal, nasty antibiotics and the adnauseum they entail. Oh yeah... and get fired from the job you injured self at while working for them.

I still have several weeks of physical therapy ahead.

I would trade with you in an instant, I can't even go outside for a walk !

Stay persistant and enjoy your experience out there !
    sry to here that 338 ill try to get one just for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jdcollins86 View Post
    sry to here that 338 ill try to get one just for you.
    Thanks for that ! Seriously, enjoy yourself out there and good luck to you !

I have had a moose season or two where I never saw a moose, I think anyone who hunts long enough will have a season or two with the same results.

I am having a blast out there but stuck doing the weekend warrior thing. I have been seeing moose but not much for legal ones. In south central it is still early yet the leaves are just now getting nice and yellow. Most of the region is so thick right now all they have to do is lay down and stay put for us to walk right by them. Let them get ladies on the brain and they will start moving around