Thread: Plastic tipped bullets?

Default Plastic tipped bullets?

I bought some 80 grain Tipped Tripple Shocks for the Grand Kids .243 and I'm thinking about getting the 168 grain .30 caliber ones. Have any of you that use them ever had them break off and fall in your rifles magazine or cause any problems?

Have shot a few thousand out of my Ar's and never had that happen or even heard of it happening before

I have a box of accubonds and tipped tsx rounds that I am loading for my AR this winter. I have read tons on both and have never heard of either losing a tip. If anything the seem to eliminate bullet tip damage more than anything else. If they are running great in AR's then I don't see them having any issues in a bolt gun.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I bought some 80 grain Tipped Tripple Shocks for the Grand Kids .243 and I'm thinking about getting the 168 grain .30 caliber ones. Have any of you that use them ever had them break off and fall in your rifles magazine or cause any problems?
    Your reference to them breaking off in the magazine sounds like you just read Scovill's piece in the latest Rifle Magazine.... While there may be some truth to what he said - I've seen some pretty beat up, mangled, disfigured plastic tips - I think more often than not these things are not much more than a case of a gun writer needing something to write about. On the other hand, the fact is that plastic tips are really nothing more than a sales gimmick. The owner of Barnes Bullets admitted so a few years ago in an interview. Barnes started putting plastic tips on their bullets only because the market insisted on it. Guys like to buy the more expensive fancier looking plastic tipped bullets, and Barnes would have been nuts to refuse them that option. If people insist your product have a plastic tip, simply because they believe it's better, faster, more accurate, whatever, and they're willing to pay more for the bullet with the silly piece of plastic on it, then the manufacturer is going to say what the heck, what color do you want? As long as they keep making the unadulterated ones I'm happy. No johnny cap necessary for my bullet, thank you.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The TTSXs work great out of my 340 Wby, and the Accubonds work great in my 375 Wby. None has ever been damaged in my gun. There is not much, if any, need to use them at under 200 yards, but they clearly do perform well in many rifles, and do have a much-higher BC than comparable non-tipped bullets, which can help if your hunting at longer ranges. Most don't, I know, but some do. I personally do not care what a bullet looks like as long as it performs well--which is why I won't refuse to consider using them just because of the way they look.

I shoot TTSX out of my 338-06 and accubonds out of my 280 AI and I have never had a problem. I like both bullets and the TTSX and Accubinds shoot great close and at long yardage. By the way 350 is a long way for me.

No problems with my Accubonds loaded by Double Tap.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I have sent many coyotes to their grave using ballistic tips out some 280's and they really did the job. I shot some at varying yardages when I first tried them wondering if the tips would fall off in flight and after much digging into target backstops the answer is no - they rode the pony all the way! Had 1 tip break off in my pocket - that is one of hundreds though.
    Sometimes you can get deformed bullet tips on std bullets if they ride in the magazine ( repeatedly) while shooting and this does help prevent that small issue.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I have hand-loaded hundreds of 6.8mm (AR-15) and 308 (bolt). I don't pamper them...they ride to the range in a zip-lock baggie in a backpack, get poured onto the wood table, then get loaded into the magazine. I haven't shot more than 400-500 of these but I've not yet seen a tip failure under normal circumstances. Now, I did have a (one) round misfeed from the 6.8mm magazine and the tip was mangled, pointing sideways, but other than that, they've held up well.

Last thing...If plastic tip failure was common you know that info would spread like wildfire across the hunting and shooting forums and we'd all know about it.

I've had the tips damaged. Occurred using a Rem 700 .308. Bullets were Federal factory loaded 180 Gr Trophy Bonded Tip. The tip from one broke off and temporarily fouled the magazine. As for fault ... blame who you desire (user error, manufacturer under design). I wish they would have stayed with the trophy bonded bear claws instead of switched to plastic tips.

I've switched to factory loaded barnes products. The groups have been good...and performance on game has been adequate.

We had one get beat up yesterday in a tikka T3 lite 338 WM. The tip didn't fall off but it was in rough shape. That rifle kicks like a rodeo bull with it's manhood in a sling though! We are going to switch to TSX or nos parts for that gun. My 7mm rem mag, 325WSM, 6.8spc and 270 WSM (also a tikka) all don't have any such issue.

There is barely a worse kicking gun than a 300 RUM that you will have a tipped bullet in. I have seen bullets with the nose dented after firing a volley with the magazine full, as would be expected. They have flown fine at the 200 and 300 yard marks. I have never had one fail in the gun or other wise. Of course, they are really not needed for moderate hunting ranges anyway and there is zero chance of failure if you don't have a plastic tip. I have mangled more soft nosed lead bullets than plastic tip bullets anyways. I talked to the guys a Barnes and they tested the tipped bullets by deforming them and then cutting them off. They saw no difference in performance (I don't know at what range and what their idea of performance was though).

I have hunted and shot plastic tip bullets since they came out - thousands of rounds and many hunts on three continents and NEVER a problem. 338mag, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I have sent many coyotes to their grave using ballistic tips out some 280's and they really did the job. I shot some at varying yardages when I first tried them wondering if the tips would fall off in flight and after much digging into target backstops the answer is no - they rode the pony all the way! Had 1 tip break off in my pocket - that is one of hundreds though.
    Sometimes you can get deformed bullet tips on std bullets if they ride in the magazine ( repeatedly) while shooting and this does help prevent that small issue.
    Did you find a bullet in the back stop with a tip on it? When you say they rode the pony the whole way what does that mean? Did you find the tip somewhere in the medium?