Thread: Black Bears "OUT the WaZooo"

Default Black Bears "OUT the WaZooo"

Still got bears everywhere. Sunny weather, will be even better tomorrow. Yesterday there was (4) four behind the cabin, a forum member harvested one yesterday. So I go out today expecting to see none or maybe one, and there are four up there. These are all solo Black Bears spread out over about 1/2 mile.

This time of year their shinny black coats just reflect like mirrors against the yellow and red of the hillside. Should be outstanding Black Bear hunting not just here but everywhere with open hillsides.

Todays Bonus: Access to Cub Creek and Sunrise Creek (My Back yard) is easiest, if you park at the pull-off at mile 5.85 of the Hope Road, walk toward Hope and just past the mile post marker for mile six, on the up hill side of the road (about 200 Yards) is a Chugach Electric access road (It is illegal to drive or ATV) but you can walk up the access road to the power line, turn right till you cross Cub Creek, as you come up out of Cub Creek there is a very old road that goes up the mountain, and deposits you in open grass hillside. Note: You need good traction boots. This route avoids alders. From this point you can work left and shoot bears in Cub Creek, or work right and shoot bears on the open face all the way to Sunrise Creek and clear to Sunset Creek.

Should be bears all over the hills that can be glassed from pull-offs @ mile post (5) five and about 5.7 of the Hope Road.

Right around Sept. 1st has always been my favorite time of year to hunt black bears (aside of baiting). They start going on the move and seems like they are around every corner at times.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Good info AGL, if I wasn't working this weekend i'd be down that way right now looking for a black bear or two since moose don't seem to want to get in front of my rifle...i'll try for Monday.

When do they disappear to den? I'd like o get out but it will be a couple weeks before I can.

AGL: I got one last night in that same valley. Bcause of your info. THANKS SO MUCH! I'll post story soon. Must have jsut missed the road, went through alders and such. MISERABLE! But, got up and got a nice blackie. Hiked out in dark. Was tough, well worth it. Did you see the maniac hiking up to the bear and 3 shots? All three hit, just like to make sure they are down

The solitude of late summer must be getting to you AGL? Must have quite a crowd today I suspect?

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Steve View Post
    When do they disappear to den? I'd like o get out but it will be a couple weeks before I can.
    Last year I spotted solo bears eating berries in the blowing rain/snow in the middle of October near the end of Palmer Creek Road. Snow leve was approx 3,500 feet and the bears were approx 3,000-3,200 feet IIRC.

My favorite time of year on nice days for sure. The smells and the colors, sigh... wish it were longer. Might just drop in the area on my way from Kenai. Have to Pickle the boat up for winter, but the road trip can turn into a hunting trip just as easy. God Bless Alaska.

AGL I get the impression you want them thinned out lol