Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newer 6x6 big boss owners....

Default Newer 6x6 big boss owners....

I have broke both bolts that hold the lower control arms, mid axle on my 2010 big boss. the One side broke at 550 miles the right side broke at 600. Pretty easy fix, even on the trail, If you have the bolt! From my talking with Hatcher pass polaris this bolt seems to break fairly often. My advice is change these bolts out every few hunderd miles and carry a spare with you in the field. Or at the very least carry a spare. Pay attention to those wheels. The first time it broke on me I couldnt see what was wrong till it was too late. Ended up bending the upper control arm.

Im thinking of seeing if I can find a grade 10.5.

I have a 2010 with almost 400 miles on it. I will check out these bolts and start packing a couple of extras with me. Did HPP say if this would be covered under warranty? Thanks for the heads up.

Mine was out of warranty so I dont know. I imagine they are covered under warranty. Yeah these bolts have ruined 2 trips for me. Luckily not major hunting trips! BTW that guy at the parts counter will say they are not a problem, but he will tell you how many of those bolts he has sold over the year. 23 I think. That to me is alot. Especially when you think about how few of these 6x6 are out there and probably how few of miles they have on them. And the bolt is specific to the 6x6 sportsman only i believe.

Thanks for the heads up man. I have around 200 miles on my 2011 Big Boss 6x6 (bought it mid August so give me a chance to build some miles ) I'll swing by the Polaris shop prior to heading out for some moose hunting today and pick up some bolts.

Thanks (rep inbound)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Thanks for the heads up man. I have around 200 miles on my 2011 Big Boss 6x6 (bought it mid August so give me a chance to build some miles ) I'll swing by the Polaris shop prior to heading out for some moose hunting today and pick up some bolts.

Thanks (rep inbound)
    When you or Matt gets a spare chance, could I check out your machine? I'm really interested in this model for accessing my property in the non-winter months. I won't be hunting with it, just hauling food/fuel. It's a very mucky place and that is why I'm thinking of this model. Last time I hiked out to my property alone, I did the entire return trip by myself with a sprained ankle (rolled on a tussock). I had to leave so much sht behind. The tussocks make for bad walkin. On that trip I grit my teeth so hard that I still have chips in the enamel from being in so much pain. I don't ever want to hobble on a sprained ankle like that again for over 20 miles and then have to canoe 15 miles to get back to the road.

Is this the bolt that has the grease zerk on it? Lower a-arm, nest to frame, middle tires? Thanks for the info.

BTK> Yes that is the bolt. The 12" one. Mainer Ill shoot you a pm with my number, you can come over and check mine out.

We have sold over 150 Big Boss's in the last 2yrs so 23 bolts is only around 15%.

Quote Originally Posted by hurricaneride View Post
    We have sold over 150 Big Boss's in the last 2yrs so 23 bolts is only around 15%.
    Yeah but how many of them have 600 miles on them so far? And who knows how many Marita has sold.

Well at any rate it sucks when a a 16 dollar bolt breaks. I would rather see guys buy this bolt in case rather then spend a small mint in gas to go to the trail, spend a saturday up, get 20 miles in then have to roll out on 5 wheels over this bolt.

I agree. We have also seen some loose bolt and some of them just fall out. Worth a check before you go. I've seen some with over 2000 miles and never changed a bolt. I was just looking at the parts, they are the same a-arm as the 800 Sportsman but the 4x4 uses a threaded shaft and 2 bolts with locktite. I may have to look into changing some out.

KODIAK at heart, but Midwest by occupation, for now

Now 25 bolts sold!!! I have a 2010 and just went thru the same thing a week ago with just under 200 miles. The bolt on one side was completely snapped and the other side was starting to shear off the end. The machine is with my father in law, so I personally didn't see it happen. I guess I should buy a couple extra $16 polaris bolts to carry with in the field.

Is this just occuring on the '09 and newer 1/2 shaft machines?

Tim

What about a grade 8 replacement? I imagine Fastenal would carry such a critter...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    What about a grade 8 replacement? I imagine Fastenal would carry such a critter...
    Not sure about what grade the bolt was from the factory but the new ones I got from polaris are grade 8. just read an interesting bolt strength arcticle http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...ners/index.asp. In it it mentions too low of tourqe as a cause of bolt fatigue. Maybe try really cranking that bolt up?

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Is this just occuring on the '09 and newer 1/2 shaft machines?

Tim
    Yes I believe this is the case.

I will be getting different bolts, some how. Always something!

I have an '11 but only 200 miles on it so far. I am going to check mine out this after noon. My wife and I just got back from hunting Eureka and another '11 was back there with his front right rear tire removed and the pieces tied up so he could make it out. Looks like this is a pretty serious problem!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    I have an '11 but only 200 miles on it so far. I am going to check mine out this after noon. My wife and I just got back from hunting Eureka and another '11 was back there with his front right rear tire removed and the pieces tied up so he could make it out. Looks like this is a pretty serious problem!
    I saw one like that last week too. I have not looked at one of them closely. Back in my off road buggy racing if we had a bolt breaking with a zerk on it, we moved the zerk and installed a solid bolt. Stronger bolt and still have ablilty to grease it.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Honestly it doesnt do any good to check them visually. They look just fine up until the moment they shear off. I checked mine and it looked great, 5 miles later it broke. Both have sheared off right behind the nut.

Maybe we should petition a polaris dealership to maybe contact polaris and see if there is something proactive we can do about this rather than replace. Maybe a different torque, different grade bolt, or maybe that stiffner plate is the problem.

I am going to tear mine apart this week sometime and take a look at it and see if there is anything I can do to strengthen it.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast