Thread: Your gear purchase choices??? Thanks for posting.

Default Your gear purchase choices??? Thanks for posting.

Hey allI have read the threads and will keep reading but wanted to put an new post here.

Lets say I have about 8 more months to research and purchase gear for my next sheep hunt(and any other hunts along the way)
    If you had time and money to look what would you purchase for the following items? I would like to keep the cost within reason but I know good gear is expensive.

Please tell me why you like what ever you post about. I appreciate any time you take to give me your opinions. When I am not out and moving I have time to ponder these things!!! All I can do for hunting right now is daydream! LOL.

Tent?

Base layer, brand?

insulating layer?

Pants?

Jacket?

Rain gear?

Gloves( this one seems VERY difficult to find good ones!!grrrrr)

Stove?( I am leaning towards the Soto micro regulator based on what I have read. Can anyone suggest a better canister stove and why you think so?)

And anything else you would like to post.
    I have good boots, optics and packs.
    Thanks all
    Jason

Don't the reviews pretty much cover just what your asking? I've read every one in the past 6 months and folks cover quite a bit.

Yeh they do, I was bored and posted out of haste.

Tent? Hilleberg Saivo / msr hoop 2

Base layer, brand? Minus 33- their skivvies get a 3 day run before changing

insulating layer? MH compressor or barneys jacket I'm usually good with thermals and Sitka 90% pant

Pants? Arcteryx gamma ar

Jacket? Sitka 90%

Rain gear? kuiu or kryptek

Gloves Sitka shooter and their mid weight gloves

Stove? Jetfoil or mar whisperlite if I wanna cook
    Swaro SLC HD in 10x42 are amazing
    Barneys hunter pack is amazing
    Havalon and cutco are amazing
    Tag bags are amazing
    Kifaru game bags are amazing
    Darn tough socks are amazing
    I miss the mountain house seafood chowder. Now that too was amazing with a plain bagel.

Tent?
    Go lightweight. there are plenty out there. don't get in the trap that heavier is needed. there are plenty of lightweight tents that have withstood windy environments.

Base layer, brand?
    Wool. Don't even think about the extra cost. It is well worth it. find them on sale. i just bought two ibex indie hoodies on sale from ibex for $70 a piece. no smell, except your BO. 14 days in a one shirt and it never smelled. poly/nylon smells after one big sweaty day.

insulating layer?
    montbell ul thermawrap. many will suggest the mountainhardwear compressor, which is a good jacket as well. go with a hooded version.

Pants?
    I have a pair of OR exos pants. go with a quick drying very thin soft shell. i used to advocate sika ascent pants, but the crotch blew out after not too much use, and i think they are an overrated company

Jacket?
    get a gortex paclite jacket, with few bells and whistles. my marmot nano weighs 8.6 oz for size large.

Rain gear?
    marmot precip full-zip pants

hanz gloves are great. thin, they dry quick and have a sticky palm surface

Stove?
    for canister stoves, they aren't too far off from each other. you'll do well with primus, soto, msr, etc

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Tent?
    I'd spend a good chunk of your budget here. Find something that suits your needs and is very light. Many fans of Hileberg tents here. I have the Nallo 3GT and I love it. Great for a 2 person sheep hunt.

Base layer, brand?
    Shop for this on Patagonia's website for web specials in the off season. You can find cap 1, 2, and 3 for about 1/2 price.

insulating layer?
    I'd go for the mountain hardware compressor pants or the Barney's pants (can't remember the name, but they're the same thing).

Pants?
    I like the cabela's microtex pants. About $50. Every now and then they are on sale. The number one consideration here is do they dry out quickly.

Jacket?
    I have two, a patagonia (see web specials as above) micropuff jacket. Same as a mountain hardware compressor jacket. For times when it gets even colder, I have a brooks range jacket from Barney's. Great combo in my opinion.

Rain gear?
    Check out 6th avenue outfitters in the fall, might be too late for this year. I'd go for Helly Hansen Impertech pants and jacket.

I have a pair of super lightweight OR gloves. They are almost nothing and just take the slightest chill off, but keeps you from over heating when you're climbing and making a lot of heat. I also have a pair that I bought at Sportsmans warehouse for about $10. Just a tad heavier. I can wear one over the other if it were to get really cold.

Stove?( I am leaning towards the Soto micro regulator based on what I have read. Can anyone suggest a better canister stove and why you think so?)
    The jetboil works well for me. I bought the coffee press so I can make coffee in the morning (very important to me)....

Not sure what kind of sleeping bag you have. That is right up there with the most important gear. I go a tad light on mine and use my warm clothing to add insulation.

Good luck on finding deals on all this stuff....

Thanks all
    Jason
    I added my comments into your quote.

Tent- Bibler Eldorado. just vent it right.
    baselayer- capilene- I have gone to wool and returned to synthetic.
    insulating- Patagonia Down Sweater.
    pants- mh or marmot softshell
    jacket-Artryx Alpha LT goretex Pro- they are a deal on sale.
    gloves- Kinco original workgloves- pigskin and they work great in rock( you can't beat them for five times the price.)
    soto microregulator with snowpeak titanium pot- lighter than jetboil and cooks great.

also get mountain house variety packs of chili mac, lasagna and spaghetti and mix them together.
    Mix in real bacon bits into the mix before you go.
    Its better than the peanut butter, cheese and bacon bread pockets that I make.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Hey allI have read the threads and will keep reading but wanted to put an new post here.

Lets say I have about 8 more months to research and purchase gear for my next sheep hunt(and any other hunts along the way)
    If you had time and money to look what would you purchase for the following items? I would like to keep the cost within reason but I know good gear is expensive.

Please tell me why you like what ever you post about. I appreciate any time you take to give me your opinions. When I am not out and moving I have time to ponder these things!!! All I can do for hunting right now is daydream! LOL.

Tent? Base camp tent, North Face VE-25. I am not aware of a better combination of weight/size/strength/cost.

Spike Tent, GoLite Shangri-La3. I haven't used this other than to set it up in the yard yet, but it sets up easy, is made of quality materials and is tiny/light. Not wind tested by me, but there are YouTube videos that are pretty impressive.

Base layer, brand? Red Ram Merino Wool. I think all the Merino Wool base layers are roughly equal quality.

insulating layer? Patagonia lightweight fleece quarter zip (old)

Pants? OR Cirque Pants

Jacket? Browning PrimaLoft Jacket/Vest

Rain gear? HH Impertech at Base Camp and Cabelas Space Rain for Spike

Stove?( I am leaning towards the Soto micro regulator based on what I have read. Can anyone suggest a better canister stove and why you think so?) MSR Firefly

Thanks all
    Jason
    lalaalalaa