Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting In Houston AK, Just an FYI

Default Hunting In Houston AK, Just an FYI

I'm not posting this to make enemies, cause problems or start some debate on what is right or wrong. However, if you plan on hunting the Houston area it would be wise to read up on the HMC

http://www.houstonak.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={F66A36CF-168E-437F-96D0-A5FF70954AC1}&DE={D2127971-CE04-4AD9-9B32-6F7C264E01B7}

The troopers ARE enforcing this law. I am only posting this because someone we know has been sited for this violation.

8.04.010 Unlawful discharge of weapons
    It shall be unlawful for any person(s) or organization to discharge firearms or explosives within the City limits except as follows:
    A. For subsistence purposes with the following exception; no hunting within subdivision boundaries;

B. Controlled use of fireworks under Chapter 8.05 HMC;

C. For sighting in of firearms at an approved shooting range; and

D. No shooting within 1,000 yards of any structure;
    E. In any area of the City specifically designated by the Council. All reasonable safety precautions will be observed and enforced. (Ord. 02-16 § 3, 2002; Ord. 97-06, 1997; Ord. 85-01, 1985; Ord. 75-P-1 § 1, 1975)
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

NOW youve done it Huntress...I was surpirsed to go to the old landfill and there were signs posted so we didnt shoot. Its just getting harder and harder to find a place to shoot anymore without going to Birchwood...

I hear ya dube, you bet your bottom dollar I'm one of the ones at the meetings trying to get something a little more reasonable on the books. But I can only do so much, those folks who hunt the area need to speak up!

However, the guy who was shooting his rifle blindly into the woods towards my home, sitting on his 4 wheeler, drinking his wild turkey last-night could have done with a copy of the Houston Code. It's instances like that, that make me think that maybe 1000's yards isn't a bad idea!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Boy, you're crabby.

You think I'm crabby now, you should have seen me last night... I probably looked like something along the lines of my avatar....

Looks like if you aren't in an established "subdivision" you are ok to shoot regardless of structures....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    You think I'm crabby now, you should have seen me last night...
    Were you barking like a dog in the corner when Jim came home?
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 09-09-2011 at 23:52. Reason: spelling

I KNEW I could find one good reason why I missed this place...where else can you receive so much abuse and still miss the folks who make a mockery out of ya! LOL!

I KNEW I could find one good reason why I missed this place...where else can you receive so much abuse and still miss the folks who make a mockery out of ya! LOL!
    Have a great night, Deb.

Thumbs down 1,000 yards?

It's instances like that, that make me think that maybe 1000's yards isn't a bad idea!
    Large caliber rifles go for miles farther than that! Ouch!

While its perfectly legal to shoot here in my neighborhood, I did take a bit of offense to the time that my closest neighbor decided to cut down about a 10 inch birch tree in his front yard - with his rifle, at short range, and after 10pm. btw, it takes about 150 shots to accomplish that; a fact I did not know.

Then he outdid himself a few weeks later, by setting off a military grade smoke bomb (that he obviously stole from his employer, Uncle Sam) that put so much red smoke in my yard that I could not see the forest that was just 40 yards behind my house!

cry me a river people! just move to california already!
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    cry me a river people! just move to california already!
    Wise words from the sheriff of Butte... I'm assuming alls quiet on the streets of butte tonight?

Nonetheless, if I had a choice, I'd cut down every metal sign within a mile of my house since they seem to attract bullets. Hell, some poor bastiges better have bullet proof walls and glass on their north facing walls. There is a sign south of Huffman on the New Seward that has been ventilated - and less than 200 yards on the outgoing side is a house or apartment building in direct line of fire. Bonus to Huntress for posting.

I like the subsistence exception...hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    wise words from the sheriff of butte... I'm assuming alls quiet on the streets of butte tonight?
    lmafao!!!!!!

"structure" is incredibly vague. It could be a house, could be a birdhouse, a tree stand, wishing well, organizational structure, etc etc. What is the legal definition of "structure" in Houston's books?

Even if it just means houses and businesses, think of the areas affected: all of the Parks Hwy within Houston City limits, which is Big Lake cutoff to about mile 63. Most of Zero Lake Road. Much of the swamp between Houston and Fish Creek. All of Big Lake Rd thats within Houston limits. Much of the burn area along Hawk Lane, Miller's Reach, and Big Lake Road. Also may make it tough for the new "hot spot" permit from Fish and Game for shooting moose where there are high concentrations of them during winter; if you get one, make sure you're not in Houston! It makes it archery only in all these areas.

The way it reads, unless those structures are in an established/named "subdivision" the 1,000 yard rule doesn't apply.

A. For subsistence purposes with the following exception; no hunting within subdivision boundaries;
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    The way it reads, unless those structures are in an established/named "subdivision" the 1,000 yard rule doesn't apply.

The way I read it, it means no hunting in a subdivision OR within 1000 yds of a "structure": no mention of "subdivision" in the 1000 yd reg. But I'm no lawyer and have no idea of how many definitions the word "is" might have.

Way I read it A and D are seperate regs! 1000 yards from ANY structure covers any structure within the greater Huston area.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast