Thread: kodiak brown bear fall tactics for sucess

Default kodiak brown bear fall tactics for sucess

Just hoping to get some feedback or recommendations on fall hunting tactics in Kodiak.What worked for you or lessons learned?

Thanks
    A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Tim,

I have yet to draw a BB tag, but having hunted Kodiak for goats in the past, I have seen a few bears (nice ones too) by sitting up high and spending alot of time behind some good optics.

I do know one thing for sure,..... the bears there will come to a sound of a gunshot.

Good luck and be safe......

SIT & GLASS.
    As soon as you start walking around, the bears will disappear.
    A few years ago, my son & I drew Halibut Bay tags (fall). in the first 7 days, we spotted 36 bears. (I'm sure we saw some duplicates on sucessive days, but also sure we didn't double count the same bear on any given day.) On the 8th day, we crossed the valley after a bear, and that was the last bear we saw inside the valley. Once your scent gets around, the bears will find some other place to travel.
    Good luck. Who is the lucky guy going with you?

Jake (BRWNBR) is the man to chat with if you can....

Draw tag or road system?
    Proud to be an American!

Tiger15/Terry he is a friend from Eilsion AFB. Were going to try an find him a moose out in Kotz this month as well.

Thanks for the feedback keep it coming.How many days do yoy glass from a spefic vantage point before you change tactics? I took a bear in 04 out of King Salmon on a spring hunt it measured 8 ' 6" 25 5/8 skull aged at 8. Im looking for something in tge 9 plus range so I know patience will be the key.This will be my first fall hunt it seems if there are fish concentrate there.

Totally Excited!
    A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Draw Tag/ Kiliudia Bay

We went in the day before the season opened & stayed 2 weeks. There were silvers in a small river that ran thru the valley, but we only saw one bear actively fishing. We did see a few walk the stream banks, but only the one did any fishing. Saw one small bear that had evidently found a dead deer (or killed it) as it hung out in a small gully for over a day. It would rush out to chase any other bear that got within 100 yds or so - saw it happen 2x's.
    On another note I deer hunted in Shearwater Bay (runs off Kiluda) a few years ago. We were there the first week of November & out of 4 of us didn't see a bear. We did have one cover up a deer carcass, but it didn't stay with it or return to it while we were there. The weather was cool & the first night we got about 6" of snow. The weather may have triggered a move to high country to find a den. The deer hunting was good , so you can have a back up plan.

Gary

Thanks for sharing im sure ever fall is a bit different the biologist told me most fall bears are harvested within the first week.