Thread: Camel Back

Default Camel Back

I am thinking about putting one in my J104 on my sheep hunt. Anybody use this type of drinking system?

Thanks.

Default Camel Back

I've used this drinking system for a good while now. I use it for hicking and running. I would think it would work for a sheep hunt. They are nice and are not too bulky because of where they sit on your back. I believe you can all so get a water purifier for it too.

I carried one on my trip to Namibia. It was the best piece of gear that I took along. Nice to be able to get a drink of water on the move....especially since temps were in the mid-90's while we were there.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FALCON View Post
    I am thinking about putting one in my J104 on my sheep hunt. Anybody use this type of drinking system?

Thanks.
    All you need is a bladder. Stick it in your pack, run the hose around and your good to go. No need for the pack that holds it, just extra weight and bulk. Most packs have a designated spot for one.

You can get bladders anywhere of different sizes. 1-3L. I think mine is 2L

Synd is correct. Just the bladder will do you right. Make sure to bet the covered bit valve and the shut off. The bite valve is nice. The shut off valve makes it so it can't leak if you take off your pack and it rolls over on the bite valve. I have the 100 oz version that I use in my badlands pack. Very nice. Here is a trick. When you're done taking a drink throug the bite valve, blow some air back into the bladder to clear the water out of the hose. Then when you go to take the next drink, you'll have to suck onit to re-fill the hose, which isn't much, but you won't have to drink a mouthfullof hot water. The water in the hose has a tendency to heat up if you're in warm weather or the sun it shining. This way you always get a cold drink of water. Just my $.02.

I really like mine. Its amazing how much more water you'll drink when its right there. One of the best pieces of gear I had on my last trip. I'm one that usually doesn't drink alot of water, but when using a camelbak system, at the end of the day there usually wasn't much left in the 100 oz bladder.

They had a package at Sams that had a CamelBack type of deal and 2 trekking poles for 25 bucks. I bought it last summer. Kind of an el cheapo but I used the bladder and one of the trekking poles on my 50 mile 12 day walkin sheep hunt last august and they worked great. I just pulled the bladder out of it's little pack. I use the pack/blader while biking,skiing, etc.

Default Thanks

Guys,

Good advice for sure. I will buy the bladder, and get it hooked up. I want to go as hard as possible, and staying hydrated will help out alot.

Red face

I have used on for several years and would not go out in the field without one. Once my buddies seen it they all went out and bought one too. I would buy the largest bladder available too I believe it is the 100 ounce. Because if you are hunting in an area that does not have a lot of water and you run out you may regret it later. Besides, if I am in an area that has a lot of water sources I only fill it 3/4 full. As the other guys have said you drink more water when it is easy to get to. I have camel back designed for bike riders (Rogue model on camel backs homepage) that consists of a pack that just fits the bladder it has no pockets to store anything in it. This camel back pack is good for those late season hunts when it is in the teens outside. Your tube and bite valve tend to freeze up with water. How you can remedy this problem is to buy an extra tube that has a neoprene cover over tube and a rubber cover over the bite valve (it is designed for skiers they call it the thermal control kit). If you blow the water back into the bladder this generally prevents it from freezing up. If it does freeze up I remove the bladder from my main pack and put it in the original camel back pack which is real light weight. I then put it under my coat between my back and my main pack for awhile to unthaw everything out. When everything is thawed out I pull the bladder out and place it back in my main pack. I hope this helps.

I have a Camelback. I don't prefer it over my standard two Nalgene water bottles. When I leave in the morning I've rationed myself what I believe is adequate water. With my bottles I can see what I'm consuming and what's left. I meter my ration accordingly. With the Camelback I can't see my reserves easily. I don't know how much I'm drinking or what's left.

I've never found taking a sip of water from my drinking bottles to be inconvenient. I find refilling and cleaning bottles much more convenient. To each their own.

Nice thing about the camelback bladder is that the HikerPro water filtration system plugs right into it and will refill the bladder... no mess.