Thread: Sheep Hunting Books?

Default Sheep Hunting Books?

I am going to try my first Sheep hunt next year, and have been reading everything I can on here. I heard the first thing you have to do is become obsessed, and I think I am about 3/4 of the way there. I heard from some friends that there are some must read Sheep Hunting books that I should check out. Does anybody know what these are?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Tony Russ has a couple of great "how to" books on sheep hunting. I'd certainly call them must read.

"Sheephunting For Dummies" ......................available at REI.

Be sure to check out "The Quest for Dall Sheep" by Jack Wilson, and also Ace Sommerfield's Dall Sheep hunting book (I forget the name but it's a great read).

It's called "Dall Sheep Trails"........

aside from books, watch all the DVD's available, it gives you a better perspective...

I enjoyed the DVD "Black Shale, White Sheep"- very well done.

I'll run down to sportsmans, and see what they got for dvd's. I looked at Tony Russ' books, and saw the price tag on them. I will probably wait till payday to pick them up. I think I saw a copy of Dall Sheep Trails at the BX, so I will check into that one on monday. Now I am online shopping, trying to get my gear planned out. The obsession is beginning! Thanks for the help guys

Check out the Title Wave bookstore in the old Safeway store just west of REI. I have purchased many of my Alaska hunting books there. They usually have a decent collection of sheep hunting books and since they are used, the prices aren't bad. That store is one of the places I always hit when I am in Anchorage. You might even find some sheep hunting DVD's there. Good luck...you will know when the "obsession" hits you...look out when that happens!!!

If you can find it, an excellent video on judging sheep is "Field Evaluating the Thinhorn Ram" by Duncan Gilchrist. Duncan died a few years ago, but you might be able to find the video with an on-line search.

I second anything written by Tony Russ. "Sheep Hunting in Alaska" is definitely one of the best if not the best manual for hunting dall sheep. you can order all of his books online at http://www.tonyruss.com

I think the obsession is already hitting. I keep looking up at the moutnains all I want to do is go up there and look for sheep. Even if it's just to get pictures. Which I think will be a new hobby of mine next spring. Thanks for the used book idea, I didn't even think of that. I think I will se what the Wasilla Public Library has as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I enjoyed the DVD "Black Shale, White Sheep"- very well done.
    Yes it is excellent, not many others on North American wild sheep are. I had heard that the Yukon video that Safari Productions did before mike started doing the Safari Club tv show was excellent. But I never actually laid eyes on it.

The Matsu library system has tons of books on Dall Sheep. They have all of the Tony Russ books, and I just finished "The Quest for Dall Sheep", by Jack wilson and it was awesome!!