Thread: New Leupold VXIII elevation adjustment bottomed out?

Default New Leupold VXIII elevation adjustment bottomed out?

Got permission from the local farmer to use his field today to sight in my Model 70 300 WSM. Just got a new
    Leupold VXIII 3.5x10-40 Boone and Crockett reticle. I bore sighted it yesterday with the bolt removed and the crosshairs were good left to right windage, but the elevation was way off and I had to crank the elevation a few go rounds. My first round today was at 60 yds to get close and I hit the 1" black dot! I instantly moved to 100 yds and I was about 1 1/2" to the left and about 1/2" low. I adjusted the windage and attempted to adjust the elevation and all I got out of her was 2 clicks, so 1/2" and it was bottomed out, no more adjustment left. I shot 3 rounds and they were all dead bull. I shot at 170 yds and I was dead on too, farthest I could get out there with the hay height. I'm currently shooting 180 gr power point Winchester factory loads. What's my options here, shim kit? Send back to Leupold, lighter flatter bullet? I'm getting into reloading and was wanting to shoot 190 Bergers, just afraid that I'm gonna need some elevation adjustment that I don't have. Any ideas, remedies?

Billy Jack
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

DO NOT force anything!

Start by counting the clicks all the way to the other end of the elevation adjustment to make sure it is the scope. Now go back and shoot. If it is still off, make sure you have the correct bases for your rifle. After that, I'd call Leupold before I do anything else.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Change out the the rings to the style of Burris rings that uses inserts and buy the correct insert. You can research the rings and inserts on Brownells web site.

Sometimes a swap to a different make of mount/ring combo will fix it as well.
    Tennessee

how close to the barrel is the scope? I perfer to mount mine as low as I can without touching the barrel. If you have a fairly decent gap between scope and barrel drop down in ring hieght.

Something doesn't sound right. There is a possibility the scope is bad. The other possibility is the rings are made wrong and one of them is a different height, making your scope not level front to back. And as Nitroman said, check the bases. What type of rings/bases are you using? Weaver type, Leupold, Talley?? Were the rings lapped?

Post a picture of your set up. That may help us out in figuring out what the problem is.

BillyJack,

That scope has 58 inches of elevation adjustability. Basically, you should be able to hit 29" high at 100 yards with the proper base and ring combination. Your comment about a few go rounds is a touch vague. More details will help to sort this out.

I shoot a VX-III and have plenty of room to reach out 800 yards with a 308 using standard Ruger rings, nothing special on that rifle. I also have the 4.5-14x50 VX-III on a 300RUM with your B&C reticle. That rifle has a 20 moa base so I end up with the adjustment in the middle of it's limits when set up for long range shooting.

I have faith in the Leupold product, I think your issue lies within your attachment system. Once your base and ring situation is sorted out sight it dead on at 25 yards then move out to 100 and tweak it. That should save a lot of bullets.

The load your talking about is advertised at 2970fps and shoots a 180gr .438BC bullet. That load sighted in 2.6" high at 100 yards is dead on at 250 yards leaving you 3.6" low at 300 yards. That should be a great setup for AK hunting.

Been havin nothing but problems with this setup. Originally I had a Burris Fullfield II break on it and I had the rifle's action bedded, barrel floated, decoppered at WWG, still shot 3-4" groups at 100 yds, put my wife's Leupold VXII on it and no problem, it was the bad Burris scope. My wife's Leupold only needed a couple clicks to get it dead on at 100. Then I bought a New Leupold from WWG during that sale last week and I went to boresight it, I put it in the gun rest, removed the bolt, centered a target about 50 yds away by looking down the barrel, then looked thru the scope, the scope was good windage, but elevation was way the hell off. The cross hairs were basically a foot or more above the target centered down the bore. I moved the point of impact up to match what I saw in the bore and thru the scope. I've boresighted this way before never with an issue. The rings are Leupold medium, front cam, rear with the windage feature. Bases are Leupold 2 piece. All stuff is new. On both the burris and my wife's Leupold the adjustments to get me hitting bull at 100 was minute, a few clicks was all that was required with this same setup. Now with one of the best scopes I've had I have no more adjustment left, and 5 days before a caribou hunt too.

If your dead on at 170 yards I would keep that in mind and go kill a caribou. After that I would call Leupold and send it back.

Bring it in

Probably not the scope. Wouldn't be the first time the receiver bridges on a factory gun weren't machined to the correct height. Also could try a different set of bases. My experience with hundreds of leupold bases leads me to believe the scope, rings, and bases are probably good.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Got a Caribou hunt this week, be back from the Haul rd in about 10 days, so don't have time to F*** with it anymore. I'm sighted in and won't be shooting over 300 yds anyways. It's fine now, when I get back I'll send it back to Leupold. I doubt it is the rifle or bases. I has 2 different scopes, Leupold and Burris on that same Model 70 and only a few clicks were needed to dial me in at 100, not several full revolutions. I'm leaning towards the scope. As of now I'm huntin w/ it and when I get back and my season is over I'll return it to Leupold.

For what it's worth and take it for a grain of salt- but i would never do a hunt with a rifle I wasn't 100% confident with. Every year we read about a few animals wounded and lost, I would never want to be in those shoes.

Just my .02.